Honored Contributor

Re: Thinking of cutting my hair and going grey

Why would you be nuts?  There's nothing wrong with gray hair, there's nothing wrong with short hair.  Both can be gorgeous.  I haven't been to a hair salon since last March and I won't be going until it's safer. I could have colored my hair myself because my hair is dark but I decided to go gray.  I don't care for short hair on myself so letting it grow out and cutting it short is not an option, although it would be easier.  I'm letting the gray grow in and I'll go with mixed gray for what will be a long time.  I learned how to trim and shape my own hair from Youtube videos.  It looks good.  

New Contributor

I did the same and love it! USe the violet shampoo. It makes the grey beautiful 

Honored Contributor

Thank you all life has gotten away from me for the last few days, I still do not know what I am going to do with my hair 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Why would you be nuts?  There's nothing wrong with gray hair, there's nothing wrong with short hair.  Both can be gorgeous.  I haven't been to a hair salon since last March and I won't be going until it's safer. I could have colored my hair myself because my hair is dark but I decided to go gray.  I don't care for short hair on myself so letting it grow out and cutting it short is not an option, although it would be easier.  I'm letting the gray grow in and I'll go with mixed gray for what will be a long time.  I learned how to trim and shape my own hair from Youtube videos.  It looks good.  

I haven't had my hair cut since  last May @chrystaltree  and not planning on going until it's safer also.  I've been watching You Tube videos also, but I wanted to ask you what scissors are you using?  Did you buy scissors or just using what you already had? 

Super Contributor

PICS

Super Contributor

I did it and I will never go back to the dye again. My hair is healthy, my scalp feels amazing, and I’m saving incredible money and time. I have never gotten as many compliments on my hair as when I went natural. Never happened when I dyed it. This was very surprising to me. I say go for it. The bottle will always be there if you change your mind.
Honored Contributor

It sounds like a good time to cut your hair and see if you like yourself with gray hair.

I wouldn't go drastically short...just a few inches to start.

If you look in the mirror and don't like what you see...color it again.

Luckily it's an easy fix.

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure this has been discussed. When your hair is mostly grey sometimes the texture changes and becomes more dry. It can be wirey, become curly when it never was before or the reverse and grow out straight and lose its curl. It requires extra condtioning.

My 1st cousin, same age within 3 months, also went all silver in her early 30's. She has contined to dye her hair all these decades. Her hair is dried out and frizzy from the grey hair underneath, not being cared for properly and all those years of the chemicals every 3 weeks. She wears hers in a longish bob, so the colored hair takes a long time to get to the ends for its 1/2" trim every 4-5 months. 

Long story short, if your hair is mostly grey, you decide to keep it colored, maybe a shorter length is best to keep it healthy looking.