Honored Contributor

Think it's time to replace my makeup brushes

Is there a set on the Q you gals are crazy about? Or do you get your brushes locally at a store near you? Mine really need to be replaced. thanks.

Super Contributor

Re: Think it's time to replace my makeup brushes

I'm due for new makeup brushes too, interested in responses...
Valued Contributor

I got mine at MAC and Bobbi Brown probably 5-10 years ago. I keep them clean and they have lasted very well.

The youtube gurus say that the Sigma brushes are comparable to MAC. They have nice sets and they arent as pricey as the MAC and BB ones.

I have seen some ladies on these boards recommend ELF one dollar brushes, I tried one and it was total junk. I paid a lot for my brushes, but the fact that they lasted so well says to me that you get what you pay for.

Respected Contributor

Yesterday I bought my first ever MAC brush. It is amazing and I love it. That being said it was pricey. I don't think I'd want to replace a bunch of brushes at this price point but I might for a few key brushes like the #188 I got yesterday. MarenSeattle posted yesterday that Sonia Koshak at Target has some MAC dupes including one like the #188. I have noticed myself reaching over and over for a few elf e/s brushes. I had been using one over and over and was sure it was a TM. I was really surprised when I stopped to look and saw it was an elf brush. Also available at Target and either $1 or $3.
Honored Contributor

I like buying IT products, especially when they come with brushes because you get a fabulous brush and the accompanying product is essentially free, or close to it. Case in point, the Vitality Blush Stain and Brush kit is $35 on the Q, whereas the brush alone is $34.50. As a set, the IT Micro-Blurring brush set is very nice and has all the sizes most people use. I also have the set of IT travel brushes that's been offered for Christmas the past two years. They're nice, but not something I grab for every day.

Super Contributor

On 1/22/2014 BellaCarro said: Yesterday I bought my first ever MAC brush. It is amazing and I love it. That being said it was pricey. I don't think I'd want to replace a bunch of brushes at this price point but I might for a few key brushes like the #188 I got yesterday. MarenSeattle posted yesterday that Sonia Koshak at Target has some MAC dupes including one like the #188. I have noticed myself reaching over and over for a few elf e/s brushes. I had been using one over and over and was sure it was a TM. I was really surprised when I stopped to look and saw it was an elf brush. Also available at Target and either $1 or $3.

Yes, the Sonia Kashuk brushes are fabulous. MAC is a total waste of money in my opinion. I love my 239, but I would never buy their face brushes. They shed like crazy and are way overpriced. There are just way too many other lines that are comparable and better, for MUCH less. Sigma is one. They were designed to be pure dupes of MAC. You can any MAC brush through Sigma.

Respected Contributor

I love Bare Minerals brushes. They're very soft. I have a number of them that I use for blush and the one that came with a Mineral Veil is great for that. A lot of them are double sided too. I especially love their double ended eye shadow brush - I have several.

I find Bobbi Brown brushes to be stiff.

I have a Prescriptives brush that I've had for over 20 years - I think it's a loose powder brush but I use it for blush.

I love my Smashbox foundation brush even though I don't use their products anymore.

Valued Contributor

I love my Real Techniques brushes, really the best I have ever used. You can find at Ulta and other stores, plus online.

Valued Contributor

On 1/22/2014 rhinovodka said:

I love my Real Techniques brushes, really the best I have ever used. You can find at Ulta and other stores, plus online.

I love the Real Techniques brushes, too. I have 5 of them and have had them at least 3 years. No shedding and they are easy to clean. I also love that you can use the Ulta coupons on the RT brushes. I have one Sigma brush and I love it. I think the RT brushes are just as good, but Sigma has a wider range of brushes, so if you need a specialty brush, check out their site.

Frequent Contributor

Finally, something I know a little aboutSmiley Wink I would recommend EcoTools. They're extremely soft, well made, don't shed, good quality and clean easily, and wait for it....they are very affordable, especially on Amazon.