Trusted Contributor

Re: Think it's safe? e.l.f. Cosmetics skin care.

@Tinkrbl44 Yes and no. Overall, as long as you're talking about a major, mainstream brand I'd say yes,  But even with products made in the USA, there are many small, independent brands that might be using unapproved ingredients, less than ideal manufacturing procedures, faill to meet labeling requirements, etc. And, yes, it's possible to purchase imported products that don't meet FDA guidelines.

Per the FDA: "FDA does not approve cosmetics, although we do approve color additives used in cosmetics. It is the responsibility of cosmetic manufacturers to ensure, before marketing their products, that the products are safe when used as directed in their label or under customary conditions of use.they meet the guidelines." Here's a link to the page. From there there's a link to get more detailed info.

So, like I said, yes and no. 

Honored Contributor

I've never used the skincare.  I've never even looked at it.  I have used several of the cosmetic products and tools and nothing I've tried has been bad.  I've really liked it all.

Valued Contributor

Okay ladies, I feel better just asking the question. I have never been that concerned in the past but lately there has been so many cases of products on the news that are not good coming out of China I thought I'd just ask... I'm good with continuing with e.l.f. 

Valued Contributor

I really would not chance it. Thereason is, they have concealed important info before, they are not honest all of the time, it is just the way it is, they are doing it cheap for a reason I think.

Esteemed Contributor

I have to admit that a lot of the ELF makeup brushes are very nice. They are reasonbly priced and well made. They also make nice brush zip cases. I don't care for their pressed blushes/bronzers as they feel grainy to me. I prefer not to buy their other makeup though as I know it's made in China.

Honored Contributor

I have been using one of their face powders for over a year now.  I haven't had any issues. I don't even think about it or worry about it.

Respected Contributor

For some reason, I wouldn't try their skincare. I am sure it is probably fine.  The only things I have tried from elf are the brushes, which I like, and the cleaner. Oh, and the tweezer, which is awful.