Regular Contributor

Think D*irty App Chemical Ratings

Do you find it useful for cosmetics and skincare? Do you trust it? The reason I ask is that I just came upon it and I checked my Clinique Blended Face Powder and it gave it the worst rating - a 10. I looked into it further and both references don't have accurate information about the product. I wonder if there are ever alliances backing these types of apps/websites that rate chemicals. I value your feedback.
Regular Contributor

Re: Think D*irty App Chemical Ratings

When I looked into this further today, I checked Burt's Bees moisturizing cream for sensitive skin.  It is listed three different times with two different ingredient decks and they show three different scores on this app. 

Frequent Contributor

I have been wondering the exact same thing. Course I wonder if Paula's choice is correct since it is backed by Paula's Choice.

Trusted Contributor

Many, if not most, of these type sites lean towards fear mongering. They're experts at stating things out of context so that ingredients sound much worse than they actually are. Unfortunately, most of us don't have the science background to read the actual papers they claim to get their info from. It's a real eye opener when one gets to read comments from an expert scientist in the field, with actual quotes from the paper involved, that show just how much they have twisted the info...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Jifner1956 wrote:

I have been wondering the exact same thing. Course I wonder if Paula's choice is correct since it is backed by Paula's Choice.

Where did you get your info that Paula's Choice backs this app? I have not seen anything that states that she is in any way associated with this app.