Regular Contributor
Do thickening shampoos work? Can anyone recommend a shampoo. Thanks so much
Super Contributor

Some do.  I like the one I ordered with my har color from esalon.  I find that dry shampoo sprayed into my clean hair works best.  

Valued Contributor

My hairdresser recommended Nioxxin. You need the 3 step system. It has shampoo, conditioner & a styling foam. I color my hair so I get the system 4 on Amazon. In about 2 months I could see new hair growing in a thinning spot I had. That was a few years ago. I am using it again with all the stress going on in my life. I caught it early this time. My hairdresser did tell me to make sure to use all three steps. If I don't wash my hair everyday I use the foam just on my scalp before bed.

Honored Contributor

While I wear wigs most of the year, the thing I have found that works best for me when I do wear my own hair is:

Nioxin 2 Cleanser Shampoo

Nioxin 2 Scalp & Hair Treatment (you shake this up and it turns into a foam)  This stuff is the bomb!  

Regular Contributor

I am a retired hairdresser, no shampoo can actually stop thinning hair, a sulfate free shampoo is always best. I have had my son on a product called viviscal it's a pill (ask your hairdresser) we have seen great improvement with his thinning hair. This is not an overnight fix he's been on it for more than a year, his doctor approves of it.

Respected Contributor

Aveda invati advanced shampoo and then Boldify hair thickening spray by brand Hollywood works best for me. I change it up with Beekman 1812 shampoo which gives my hair lots of shine and body

Respected Contributor

Nick Chavez Plump N Thick shampoo helps my fine hair so much 

Honored Contributor

My hair has gotten thin over the years and I'm like someone else here in that I wear a wig most of the time.

I always buy Nick Chavez's products because he pumps up these ladies' hair like crazy.  But because I wear a wig I don't bother using them.

I think I need a brain check for ordering and not using.  Not looking forward to this summer as the wig gets pretty hot.

I am going to have to check my vanity at the door and leave the wig home.

I was seriously thinking of going back to my hairdresser and getting my hair "done" like I used to then the virus came and shot that all to H (double hockey sticks)...Ha!

How does the saying go?....da da something..."Vanity is thy name"?

Valued Contributor

I have tried many thickening shampoos over the years, and they really don’t do anything for me (other than dry out my hair). 

I purchased a “Rootie” a while ago, and it does give me some lift at the roots of my hair, making it appear thicker.  It is a hot tool (and I try to avoid heat as much as possible), so I only use it twice a week (after shampooing and letting my hair air dry).  I always use heat protectant, and so far I have not noticed it doing any damage to my hair (at least not that I can see).

Honored Contributor

Yes, some work. They usually coat the hair shaft with rice powder or other substances. I have not used one in a long time so I can't suggest one.