Honored Contributor

The use of topical niacinamide is news to me. Have you tried it? What were your results?

[ Edited ]

The use of topical niacinamide is news to me. Have you tried it? What were your results? Did anyone have a reaction to it? How would you add it to any other skin care you use or with any oral supplements you take? What are the supposed benefits of this for skin or for anything else? 

Honored Contributor

Re: The use of topical niacinamide is news to me. Have you tried it? What were your results?

Been around for years now, Olay got on the bandwagon years ago , another name for Vitamin B3. It did not work any miracles for me. 

Honored Contributor

Re: The use of topical niacinamide is news to me. Have you tried it? What were your results?

[ Edited ]

It’s pretty easily accessible and inexpensive.  Niacinamide is the precursor to NAD, the highly touted ingredient in Skinn Cosmetics Age Reset Serum for far less money. As a topical, it may already be an ingredient in a serum or moisturizer you already use. You can also find it as a serum on its own. You can layer or cocktail it, but do you research on compatibility.  So far, I haven’t seen anything that it’s incompatible with.  Niacinamide can also be taken as an oral supplement. Be sure the formulation says “non-flushing”. 

Niacinamide is an ingredient in something I already use in my routine, but I am interested in The Ordinary Niacinamide Serum. I also take an NAD boosting supplement so my bases are covered. 😉

Honored Contributor

I have read that it needs to be 5% to be effective and to use on clean skin before anything else which would make a serum or toner to be a better choice than in a moisturizer. 

Honored Contributor

That’s good to know @Icegoddess
Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I have read that it needs to be 5% to be effective and to use on clean skin before anything else which would make a serum or toner to be a better choice than in a moisturizer. 

@Icegoddess @What is it supposed to do for a person?

Respected Contributor

I'd like to hear about anyone's experience too.

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

I watch YTer James Welsh.  He does skincare.  He's on the oily side and can have breakouts.  That's what he uses it for mostly.  I don't have breakouts or oily skin so it's something I haven't chosen to use.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it's one of those ingredients that plays an understated role either topically or nutritionally. Like an antioxidant. You trust that it is working for you.

It's rather new for me. But as I was trying to say in my other post, it's not just the niacinamide in the toner I was using, but in combination with other things, which has given me such a visual effect. My skin has always been glowy. (If indeed that is the effect.) I use other toners, including one I make myself.

I don't think there is any one single magical ingredient. I always go back to...you don't just eat one thing. You eat a combination of healthful foods, some containing the same nutrients, some have things the others don't have.