Honored Contributor

Re: The right color foundation

@CherryHugs wrote:

I have a hard time picking the right color foundation. Is there a way to get what looks good on your skin? I have tried so many and the color is not right. 

If I am currently using a foundation and the color is just not right, I bring it will me, dab a little on the inside of my arm and use it for a comparison while trying other colors in the store.

Respected Contributor

@CherryHugs Are you trying to find a drugstore founation or a department store foundation? 

Drugstore is going to be harder until you understand your skin tone. If you can go to an Ulta, Sephora, etc. choose a couple of foundations & stripe them on the side of your face. Continue until you find one that matches your skin. 

You need to look at tones of foundation. Not just if one is too dark or too light. Is it too yellow or too pink?

There are, of course, sales people to help you at the department stores, but everyone eyes see color differently. YOU have to be the final say on what you think looks best on you.

And, then if you can take a sample home to see how it wears on you.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs,  That's the reason I stick with Laura Mercier.  I use her oil-free tinted moisturizer had there are plenty of shades -- pink underones, yellow undertones, and neutral.  I am a pink undertone.  Once you find out your undertone, selecting a shade will be a breeze as long as the brand you are lookiing at offers different undertones which they should.  I could also go with neutral if I needed to.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs - I agree with the others. You should get advice from a makeup artist. If you have a Sephora near you, they have a new system where a makeup artist will "type" you and recommend different colors and brands for you. The artist will then get some of those so you can try them. The artist is one who is trained for this; they won't let anyone in Sephora do it! I had it done with positive results. Ulta also has good advisors. They love to help you pick out colors and lines. Although they might not be professionally trained, they do know a lot about the different lines. They also have artists representing the different brands who travel around and do makeovers and consultations. 

Of course the department stores all have their counters with reps willing to help you. Our Target has a part-time makeup advisor, and at most drugstores if you don't like something you can return it.

Good luck! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

There is no easy way to do this.  Trial and error.  Get samples at dept stores and use the lighting you're used to at home.  Dept stores will take back makeup if it just doesn't work for you.  I thought I found my shade at Sephora (after several 100 mile round trips!) but they changed the formula and I didn't like it.  I've decided to stop the madness and just go with a drugstore brand (Revlon Colorstay) that I can buy locally at WM.  It's as good as MUFE and close to being as good as my beloved Lancome Tiente Idole (formula of 10 years ago).  I think when I get around to remembering to buy some Jojoba oil  to mix with the Colorstay, it will be just like the Lancome.

Valued Contributor

As others have noted, best to go get matched at a makeup counter for your favorite brand.  You can also go to Sephora and they can try a few brands on you.  They also have color IQ match, where they use this contraption to measure your skintone and then they give you a list of the foundations that exactly match.  

I haven't been super impressed with that--they will not give you your match for ALL the foundations, only about 10-15. so if you are interested in a foundation that isn't on their list, you still have to be manually matched anyway.  

Respected Contributor

A website called findation.com can help. you ener what you currently use that works and finds close matches  for dozens of brand

Honored Contributor

thanks everyone for your great thoughts and suggestions!! I like using non toxic products so it is impossible as far as i know, to find these at a makeup counter. years ago i did use foundation from make up counters and etc. but for the past 8 years i have gone the non toxic route as much as i can with products.

i have tried so many foundations from skinn, suzanne somers, revlon, covergirl, and on and on and it always too light or too dark lol!!

and when you buy online or from a shopping channel and it doesnt work out then there is that dreaded return shipping cost. i have spent tons of money over the years on return shipping on so many things from so many sites!!

thanks again though!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

My daughter and I went into our local Ulta store and she had the girl at the philosphy secction match her foundation. The sales associate match foundation to the skin on her neck and then proceeded to put that color on her face. It was BEATUIFUL and a prefect match. You couldn't tell she had anything on. DD bought that foundation and I swear, it looks as good when she puts it on as it did when the sles gal applied it. So go to a good beauty store and even if you need to buy that shade there, now you will know what color you are. I hate wasting so much $$ on stuff you get home and it looks off.

Honored Contributor

I go through that everytime something I've been using is discontiued.  Fortunately, I have relatives and friends are only too happy to take my rejects!

I always keep two unopened on hand in case they are discontinued ... gives me time to find a replacement.

I'm very fair with no pink or yellow undertones and it's difficult to find just the right shade.   Currently, I'm using something from Avon.