Esteemed Contributor

Re: The right color foundation

I think the best tester for foundation color is a wear test.  For that reason I am a huge proponent of asking for samples of foundation.  I certainly agree with the suggestions to visit a store to be color matched at several brands test several brands and formulas. However, you won't know how your own biochemistry is going to react to the formula until you wear the product for a few hours or a day.  I've had custom blended colors change colors on my face. Wearing will help determine if you need to choose a color that is warmer, cooler, lighter, darker, and also helps eliminate those which really get ugly over the hours.  Best of all, the ones which color stays true, and you love the way it feels after many hours as much as you liked it when applied, those become contenders for your final selection.  

@CherryHugs, the whole thing can be a time consuming process, but so worth it to get the right foundation.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

A website called findation.com can help. you ener what you currently use that works and finds close matches  for dozens of brand

Thank you @kcladyz; I checked it out and it came up with several shades I am using presently for Fall/Winter use. The late Spring/Summer was a different story.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

I either test it at a dept store or have had luck ordering from Nordstroms and using one of their beauty experts on a live chat.  You tell them what color foundations have been working for you and what type you are looking for and they make a recommendation.  It's free  shipping and returns so you can return it no questions asked.  I once sent back an Armani foundation I barely wore since it just didnt work for me.  I'd had it for months and didnt even have the Armani box it came in and they were really nice and told me to just return it!  So I use them alot and it seems to work for me.  Or I order online where I know I can return it if it's not right ( like the Q, HSN or other beauty sites).

Esteemed Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

Undertones are important too. I think a quick tip is that if you look at your blood vessels and see blue, that means you are cool toned. If you see greenish, you are warm. Neutral would be you are seeing not really blue or green. 

I learned this from a YouTuber.  She said to look at the blood vessels on your inner wrist in the sunlight to figure out your undertone.  I looked at mine and couldn't decide whether they were green or blue, so I figure I'm a neutral.  That makes sense because some of the foundations I've tried have been either too pink or too yellow, and it's never consistently one or the other.

If I'm picking out a drugstore foundation, I usually hold the bottle or tube up to my inner arm and match the shade to the skin there.  Most of the time I'm able to pick the right color, unless the packaging obscures the color of the product. 

High end foundations are often categorized by undertone and shade, so that makes it easier to pick the right color if you know your undertone.

Natural makeup can be the most difficult to match, because much of it is stuff you buy online.  The shade range is usually limited, and the descriptions of the shades are often inadequate.  You're left reading reviews to find out if the shade runs light or dark, or what the undertone is...if you can find adequate reviews (check a site like MakeupAlley or check YouTube).  It's kind of a crapshoot.  It's much better if a local store carries the product and you can see it in person, but that can be hard to come by. 

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Respected Contributor

I think your foundation shade may change a bit as you age.

I never used to think I had a problem getting a foundation.  I am almost always the most fair shade.

However, either I am more picky and discerning now, or my skin tone is a little different.  Almost everything looks too yellow on me. 

It's why I HATE those shade charts and not seeing the actual color of the foundation.  I can usually tell if I actually see the foundation if it is too yellow.  Shade charts mean almost nothing.  The model can be fair, but a totally different fair than I am.  I don't know if it is as difficult among more medium shades.  Perhaps ladies on both extremes of skin tone (fairest and the darkest) have the most difficulty.

Not all of us need as much YELLOW.

Hyacinth