Respected Contributor

The "No Makeup" look in magazines

I noticed in the American edition of Vogue, they show models seemingly without makeup wearing expensive clothes.....and I just couldn't figure it out.  I thought " They want to showcase what the model is wearing-not her makeup".  Somehow, that didn't quite jibe with me either because there are clothing designers who probably sell more from makeup in department stores than their couture houses.

I found the answer in Marie Claire.

In actuality, the models are wearing makeup-but very, very minimal....and yes, they have seemingly flawless skin.  It's a statement.

Not only is it saying, "I am being my real self" but it's also saying "I spend lots of money on skincare, spas and diets.  Yes, darling, I am showing my wealth in my skin's perfection".

I get it.....but I'm not buying it.  Some of these models look androgynous and that doesn't bother me......but what is missing when I see a lacy floral dress? It's the overall look......it could be improved by a little subtle lipstick or blush.

Not that those two things alone do a whole lot for me.  Being 56, I can pull off a "natural" effortless look, but I'm going to have to use a number of products to get there.

Maybe I have gotten used to me with makeup, but I feel "non-descript" without it.

It's funny because when I was a teen, The Great Gatsby and Disco were in-and we all wore makeup.

These days, I see one of two things with teens: either they wear makeup or they don't.  If they don't, I wonder if they are making a decision and saying "Accept me as I am".  I really do applaud that.....but it's not for me.

What do you think?

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

Re: The "No Makeup" look in magazines

Is it skincare, spas and diets? (Age?) or is it airbrushing and camera filters?

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

I noticed in the American edition of Vogue, they show models seemingly without makeup wearing expensive clothes.....and I just couldn't figure it out.  I thought " They want to showcase what the model is wearing-not her makeup".  Somehow, that didn't quite jibe with me either because there are clothing designers who probably sell more from makeup in department stores than their couture houses.

I found the answer in Marie Claire.

In actuality, the models are wearing makeup-but very, very minimal....and yes, they have seemingly flawless skin.  It's a statement.

Not only is it saying, "I am being my real self" but it's also saying "I spend lots of money on skincare, spas and diets.  Yes, darling, I am showing my wealth in my skin's perfection".

I get it.....but I'm not buying it.  Some of these models look androgynous and that doesn't bother me......but what is missing when I see a lacy floral dress? It's the overall look......it could be improved by a little subtle lipstick or blush.

Not that those two things alone do a whole lot for me.  Being 56, I can pull off a "natural" effortless look, but I'm going to have to use a number of products to get there.

Maybe I have gotten used to me with makeup, but I feel "non-descript" without it.

It's funny because when I was a teen, The Great Gatsby and Disco were in-and we all wore makeup.

These days, I see one of two things with teens: either they wear makeup or they don't.  If they don't, I wonder if they are making a decision and saying "Accept me as I am".  I really do applaud that.....but it's not for me.

What do you think?

Poodlepet2

I rarely see women wearing visible makeup at the mall or when I am out and about. I guess women don't feel the need to or simply are more comfortable au natural. 

I taught my daughter to have confidence in her strength and intelligence and she doesn't wear makeup. She claims she has no need to present herself "painted up" (her words) She has a full life, many friends and to me she is beautiful. So my desire to wear a full face of makeup never inspired her to do the same...I must say I am happy about that.

Respected Contributor

Trinity, I agree with you because I doubt your daughter has very few insecurities-if any.

Poodlepet2

Regular Contributor

I'm 53 and I NEED to wear makeup if I'll be out in public. My eyes are hooded, I have little to no lashes plus very circles under my eyes that make me look sick/tired, and my skin has lost its "youthful" glow. That doesn't mean I go full-on like some of the instagramers I see everyday. Those look like they're wearing stage makeup or Halloween costumes to me!

When I was younger, I still wore makeup. I have been a huge makeup junkie all my life so it was only natural I'd wear some makeup. I also never did go overboard with my application.

Today, at 53, I wear a tinted moisturizer, some concealer (I've given up on covering my hereditary dark circles completely), light blush and lip color, eyeliner, and mascara. But the "no-makeup" look rarely looks good on a woman over age 25.

Respected Contributor

Scatcat-it could be a blend of everything you mentioned. If you look at American Vogue, however, many of the models are unmistakably girls of 13 or 14 years of age.  Look at their facial structure!  With the consent of mom and dad, it probably makes sense to hire in that age because....a) they are unknowns= lower salary b) constitutionally thin-thinner than what the "new" rules are, but they've got their pediatricians assessments to back that up. C) hopefully at that age, there are no drug problems-yet.

It's still a statement "You are Wealthy. You take exquisite care of yourself-you have no need of artifice because of the caviar treatments you take in Lucerne"  My $10,000 dollar dress is a beautiful little whim, and I will make sure that another woman does not show up at the same event wearing this work of art!"

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Both of my teenage granddaughters wear make-up. So do my daughters and so do I. At 70, I am very careful not to slather it on too thick. Too much make-up makes us look older, even silly at times. But going out without make-up? No way! As for magazine models, I don't believe photographers would deal with no make-up. Besides, magazine photos are always touched up.

Honored Contributor

Well hello @Poodlepet2 again. About the "no makeup look", I do think it's a movement. It's no different than when women stopped fighting their natural hair's texture and stopped straightening it and embraced their curls. Check the drugstore shampoo shelves...almost all brands have a "curl related" line. So it is with natural makeup. I agree that good skin is a must to pull it off and over 50, few of us don't have things to cover, need some definition and some color. I've always done a natural makeup look...tinted moisturizer, concealer, tightline on eyes w/ mascara, natural cream blush & lipcolor a few shades brighter than my lips. That's it. Of course, if sporting a dressy outfit, I may amp it up a bit, adding eye shadow & foundation stick, but no unnatural contouring, etc. That doesn't mean I'm not accepting myself as I am, it just me, but better.

Respected Contributor

I used to wear no make up at all in my 20's and 30's. But now in my 40's, my hormones are going crazy, and I have lots of blemishes from acne.  So, I wear makeup so people can see me instead of my acnes Woman Wink

Super Contributor

The "minimal" look is in. It's offically been classified as a trend for 2017 lol. I've never done a huge face of makep anyway (the times I decide to fool with it). As for being wealthy being the only reason for good skin, I'm far far away from wealthy and have pretty good skin. Biore face wash and Neutrogena moisturizer $10-15 total.