Respected Contributor

Re: The "No Makeup" look in magazines

Chynablue, I just finished a book that takes a lighthearted life for women in Victorian times: it killed my feelings of romance for that time period-especially the clothes. The Victorians were unquestionably antigenic-but that's another discussion.

At any rate, one of the beauty secrets ( not long lived as a beauty trend) was to have one's face "enameled"  by an "esthetician" by applying a fine lead powder to their wan, weary sickly faces. ( No doubt because it was a scientific fact that many women suffered hysteria secondary to her wandering, unstable uterus.  The only cure for that was to fulfill her wifely duty-by bearing a child).....

Of course, many died as a result of this "safe" cosmetic, but it was not the cause of death. ( The cause no doubt was being out in the night air and the overly exciting dinner party attended....she should have stayed at home where a woman belongs!)

At any rate, I wonder if your pictures show what Victorian Vixens looked like after their cosmetic application?!!

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

I love the no makeup look. I do not like the heavily made up look however I  do appreciate and admire unique made up eye on other women as I find it to be artistic and beautiful in its' own way but for an every day look, no. To me, when women wear alot of makeup it looks very unnatural. I think makeup should enhance your beauty, not define it,  compete with it or be used to try to cover up heavy flaws like a patch of acne.  That is one reason I'm not fond of blush for the most part- we naturally do not blush 24/7 so why would we want to look like we are? That is so unnatural. And most put it on too heavily or use colors that are completely unnatural in the real world.

I do like fun, funky looks for special occasions or a darker, more heavily made up eye for social nights (dates, parties, etc) but for the most part, the more "natural" look is much more attractive to me. .And I am one who thinks women always look a bit better with some makeup- for example, a tinted moisturizer, foundation, some mascara if their lashes are light or non-existent, a tad of color on their lips if they don't naturally have color. It doesn't have to be all of those things either. Now that doesn't mean I think women HAVE to wear makeup, I just think most women look better with a bit of some enhancement.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

I love the no makeup look. I do not like the heavily made up look however I  do appreciate and admire unique made up eye on other women as I find it to be artistic and beautiful in its' own way but for an every day look, no. To me, when women wear alot of makeup it looks very unnatural. I think makeup should enhance your beauty, not define it,  compete with it or be used to try to cover up heavy flaws like a patch of acne.  That is one reason I'm not fond of blush for the most part- we naturally do not blush 24/7 so why would we want to look like we are? That is so unnatural. And most put it on too heavily or use colors that are completely unnatural in the real world.

I disagree.  I actually do have a bit of color in my cheeks sans makeup, so I want it there when I wear makeup or BB cream which flattens out the skin tones making it all one tone.  The trick is in not putting on too much blush which is way too easy to do.  For my everyday no-makeup look I take a very small amount of Becca tint (liquid in a tube) and rub between my fingers for several seconds and then carefully pat into my cheeks.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

There's always some fad in fashion and makeup. Remember the "heroin chic" look? If you've forgotten, I don't blame you. Matte nude lips, shadowed hollow smokey eyes, contoured cheeks or pallor. Yeck. Really great, celebrating a huge tragedy for people, being addicts.

So do what makes YOU look good. Frankly, I get better beauty advice from YouTube gurus. Some do some amazing makeup. And I discovered of all the recommendations, etc, the IT foundation in the tube is really one of the best, ditto the powder. I tried a bunch of things, and ended up finding what makesa me look great.  Laura Geller foundation (BnB)--great. Her shadows? No. Bare Escentuals? Same, the foundation and concealer are exceptional. The blush is good, the eye shadow is too glittery or something. 

Find your personal best--that's the "French" way. If it's red lipstick and winged black liner, go for it. For me, it's partial black smudged liner to make my eye shape more pronounced (almond), groomed eyebrows, neutral shadow colors and pink-nude lips. Polished and understated. I'm 65. I wear makeup and do up my hair even to go to Aldis. It's about being at your best, no matter what. Just learn your style. 

Respected Contributor

ChAmpion, I love the French look. Ever since I saw Rachel Hunter's "Tour of Beauty" I fell in love with the style, the makeup and hair.  She explained it beautifully and eloquently. What I loved most about the French philosophy is that older women can still be regarded as beauties.....how refreshing! They go to spas-and plastic surgery is unheard of.

Every now and then I watch a French movie-by and large-there are beauties, but there are also "real" women with creepiness and wrinkles...it's not seen as a problem....

In the mean time, I am doing the "French thing" : I'm going to the spa for a radiofrequency treatment which is amazing....and I just received a gorgeous Bars cream blush that looks just as beautiful on the lips as it does on my cheeks!

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

I am fortunate to have really good skin.I'm told that I look much younger than my age.That being said I never leave the house without makeup on.For me I prefer a natural look.I find less is better.When I get dressed up for a special occasion I glam it up a bit more.

Everyone has to be themselves & do what's comfortable for them!! There should be no judgements.As women we need to support eachother & embrace our differences!!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Am I a "fan" of the no makeup look? Yes.  Can I pull it off? No.  I have dark circles from allergies and lack of sleep, sun damage, and the eyebrows are starting to lose their tails.  At 40, with a baby and working full time, I want that pick me up in the morning to at least appear as though I have it together.  I also just feel more confident.  But if I am just sitting around the house on the weekend, no makeup here!  In my teens and twenties, I rarely wore makeup unless it was a party or some special event.  I could have, meaning my parents would have been fine with it in my teens, but never felt the desire to wear it.

Honored Contributor

@ajsidney12 wrote:

Am I a "fan" of the no makeup look? Yes.  Can I pull it off? No.  I have dark circles from allergies and lack of sleep, sun damage, and the eyebrows are starting to lose their tails.  At 40, with a baby and working full time, I want that pick me up in the morning to at least appear as though I have it together.  I also just feel more confident.  But if I am just sitting around the house on the weekend, no makeup here!  In my teens and twenties, I rarely wore makeup unless it was a party or some special event.  I could have, meaning my parents would have been fine with it in my teens, but never felt the desire to wear it.

Have you been checked for hypothyroid?  Losing the tails on the eyebrows is a common symptom.