Honored Contributor

Re: The "No Makeup" look in magazines

Fortunately, I don't buy magazines so I don't have to think about this at all. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Haircut100 wrote:

I'm 53 and I NEED to wear makeup if I'll be out in public. My eyes are hooded, I have little to no lashes plus very circles under my eyes that make me look sick/tired, and my skin has lost its "youthful" glow. That doesn't mean I go full-on like some of the instagramers I see everyday. Those look like they're wearing stage makeup or Halloween costumes to me!

When I was younger, I still wore makeup. I have been a huge makeup junkie all my life so it was only natural I'd wear some makeup. I also never did go overboard with my application.

Today, at 53, I wear a tinted moisturizer, some concealer (I've given up on covering my hereditary dark circles completely), light blush and lip color, eyeliner, and mascara. But the "no-makeup" look rarely looks good on a woman over age 25.

I totally disagree with you. I have always worn a natural makeup look and continue to do so at age 68. Who are you to tell me or anyone else what makeup they have to wear according to age?I have always preferred a natural look,and always will.However I am not ashamed to be 68 and I don't care who knows I am 68.

Respected Contributor

This no makeup thing kind of reminds of the 70's when we didn't wear bras. We were just trying to make a statement. This will pass and something else will come to be. Lol!

Esteemed Contributor

If the "no make-up" look is in, I'm not seeing it. Highlighting is very much used, a lot over used,too, until some women have a greasy look they're so lit up. Contouring is still going on.

Vogue might just be trying to make the change, but I think if so it's in its infancy. The message hasn't gotten very far.

Honored Contributor

I would never think that the models are spending money on spas, expensive products, diets, etc.  You either have good skin or you don't.  I go for a natural look myself by wearing tinted moisturizer.  Heavy makeup is not for me unless I was doing a photo shoot and that's not going to happen. lol  The fashion industry always has to shake things up.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Whatever floats your boat. I love makeup, I love skincare. I love having great skin but realize that I have to put effort into it now whereas as a teen/20 something, I didn't. 

I'll do me, you do you...don't judge me and I won't judge you. Everyone happy? : )

Respected Contributor

At almost 62, my skin could use a little help..but I think I could go out in public without makeup and not scare anyone too badly! Woman Wink

Mostly, I use makeup because I enjoy it, I always have. I enjoy seeing my pale skin come to life, and my eyes looking more defined, and my lip color a bit deeper. I enjoy picking eyeshadow colors. I even enjoy applying it!

But I try not to overdo anything--taking a "less is more" approach.

Regular Contributor

I have no idea what ticked you off about my reply to this post. I exclusively mentioned ME. ME and ONLY ME!!!! I am not one to tell anyone how to do anything.

Re read my reply and observe it was all about ME!

What you do, think, or feel is your business and no one else's. I was only voicing here my comments on MY OWN FEELINGS ABOUT THE NO MAKEUP LOOK AS IT RELATES TO ME. ONLY TO ME!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Haircut100 wrote:

I have no idea what ticked you off about my reply to this post. I exclusively mentioned ME. ME and ONLY ME!!!! I am not one to tell anyone how to do anything.

Re read my reply and observe it was all about ME!

What you do, think, or feel is your business and no one else's. I was only voicing here my comments on MY OWN FEELINGS ABOUT THE NO MAKEUP LOOK AS IT RELATES TO ME. ONLY TO ME!!!!!!!

Don't worry about it.  First I think she misread what you posted.

Second of all, you will quickly learn that she has no problem making comments about what looks good on women depending on their age and body type.   

Esteemed Contributor

The first thing I noticed about Alicia Keys no makeup look on a magazine cover is she has prominent eye bags when she smiles. Does she look better without makeup or not? It's hard to say.

I suspect that the no makeup look is just another trend, one that owes a lot to photo filters and digital retouching.