Respected Contributor

The problem with beauty products without parabans...

The problem with beauty products without parabans is that they expire way too quickly.  I just bought a Korres Hand Cream and noticed that the expiration date is 6 months after opening. And my Tarte Rainforest of the Sea cleanser also has a 6 months expiration date.  It is fine if that is the only product I am using. But I like to try different products and use different ones depending on my particular needs that day. I feel like 6 months is way too short to trying to finish a product.  One of my NYX eyeshadow pallete also has a expiration date of 6 months.  There is NO WAY I can go through an eyeshadow pallete in 6 months!!

images.png

Respected Contributor

Re: The problem with beauty products without parabans...

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

The problem with beauty products without parabans is that they expire way too quickly.  I just bought a Korres Hand Cream and noticed that the expiration date is 6 months after opening. And my Tarte Rainforest of the Sea cleanser also has a 6 months expiration date.  It is fine if that is the only product I am using. But I like to try different products and use different ones depending on my particular needs that day. I feel like 6 months is way too short to trying to finish a product.  One of my NYX eyeshadow pallete also has a expiration date of 6 months.  There is NO WAY I can go through an eyeshadow pallete in 6 months!!

images.png

A ha!  That's why my Beekman hand salve went bad and stained my comforter when I dropped it.  Makes a lot of sense.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Toxicity or longevity.... we make a decision.  This also applies to a lot of products that we consume.  Your perspective and priorities will determine your resolution.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you want products that are preservative free, then you better make peace with the fact that they'll have a very short shelf life!

And you can FORGET about palettes and luxury sizes!

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

If you want products that are preservative free, then you better make peace with the fact that they'll have a very short shelf life!

And you can FORGET about palettes and luxury sizes!

Exactly!  You can also forget about stocking up during a sale.

Respected Contributor

Someone posted a link a while back on here about parabens. They aren't as bad as we have been taught to believe in recent years. They do help preserve products too. Can't remember who posted that link but if someone remembers and can pull it up, it is interesting reading.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Toxicity or longevity.... we make a decision.  This also applies to a lot of products that we consume.  Your perspective and priorities will determine your resolution.

The toxicity of parabens is unproven. The longevity they provide has been proven.

You have to do whatever you're most comfortable with, but at this point, I've not seen evidence that parabens are worth avoiding. The studies I've read seem to conclude only that more research is necessary.

Honored Contributor

@Tricolor wrote:

Someone posted a link a while back on here about parabens. They aren't as bad as we have been taught to believe in recent years. They do help preserve products too. Can't remember who posted that link but if someone remembers and can pull it up, it is interesting reading.

I posted a thread about it last month. The first post has a link to a science blog post about parabens: http://community.qvc.com/t5/Beauty/Parabens-an-explanation-from-a-scientist/m-p/3511358#M553553

I think I've posted other links recently, as well.

Honored Contributor

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

I don't understand your point. The products you mention STILL contain preservatives. Are you saying that only parabens provide the long-term preservation? Or are you trying to say that other parabens don't work as well? Or? Sorry but I am just not understanding the point of your post and want to make sure I understand it correctly. 

Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze

I'll just butt in and assume the obvious to me.  @momoftwo2007 is under the impression these products don't contain preservatives, when indeed they

do.

Fun