Esteemed Contributor

Re: The older I get I am so bothered by scents/smells...I cannot find a nice light shower gel! help

Everyone makes an unscented version of their bath soap in a nice, large pump bottle. I get mine at either Whole Foods or the local market. A very good value for the size.

Respected Contributor

Re: The older I get I am so bothered by scents/smells...I cannot find a nice light shower gel! help

Ivory Body wash. A genuinely clean light scent. Can't tolerate many scents any more since chemo, but this one is a winner.

Valued Contributor

Purpose wash...made by Johnson & Johnson (I believe). I use it on my face but I now use it from head to toe.

Valued Contributor

Past 60 here and can't tolerate any chemical scents. I am so bad I ask anyone who visits not to wear perfume or lotions. The ""natural"" scents I am pretty good with but I sometimes find even they bother me. Same with foods. I have been using Simply Right body wash I found at Sam's Club so far so good. There are some good suggestions here. If the OGX Argon Oil body wash smells like the shampoo I didn't care for it. Guess it is what works for you. Hope you find a good one.

No thought is worth thinking.....
Respected Contributor

Same with me, I love scents but not so much anymore. Olay has shower gel that has a neutral scent. I find dove go fresh cucumber green tea to be maild enough for me and on QVC philosophy gingerbread man is also mild. smells like ginger ale

Esteemed Contributor

Aquafor (baby gentle wash), Eucerin (calming skin body wash), Aveeno (cleansing therapy wash) and Paulas Choice (all over hair and body shampoo) all have some great body washes that are excellent and even great for those with rosacea.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Valued Contributor

I'm the same way, perfumes that I used to love are to strong now. I do like a clean scent and I like the Dove body wash but would like to find a clean smelling body spray that lasts but isnt over powering,

Super Contributor

I have similar scent issues. I discovered I can tolerate many of Shikai's scents and their shower gel is amazing, a 12oz bottle lasts for months! It's nice to smell like a girl without getting a migrane. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Valued Contributor

I couldn't handle the scents anymore either. Now all I can use is Kirk's Castile bar soap. Love it and non-drying.

Regular Contributor

MCS, multiple chemical sensitivity, suffered by millions of people, was initially not taken seriously by the scientific and medical community. Most that suffered from it were considered hypochondriacs or "too sensitive." Now that MCS has been extensively researched, as seen by many changes in products, most recently--removal of flame retardants in mattresses since both children and adults were getting ill from the chemical substances used to 'protect' the mattress from flammability--there are numerous products now available that are aimed at improving the quality of life for this chemically sensitive segment of the population. Sensitivity to fragrance is not just getting older or a 'cosmetic' preference issue. It can be much more serious.

You might want to contact a MCS organization or association in your area and see what safe products they recommend, from facial cleansers, to makeup, to shampoo, to detergents, to cleaning products for the home, to furniture manufacturers, to drywall and paint, to purchasing a new vehicle (with the numerous chemical compounds used in the manufacture of interior surfaces--dashboard, armrests, etc.) They have the scientific research to support their findings.

I learned that MCS can be attributed to the use of specific chemicals, dyes, additives, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), fragrances, and other ingredients used in the formulation of products. Some of the most innocuous ingredients can cause a storm of adverse physical and psychological problems. MCS support groups discuss the latest advances in product research. Getting some information relating to the use of fragrance that is documented in scientific and medical research might be of interest to you.