Occasional Visitor

The older I get I am so bothered by scents/smells...I cannot find a nice light shower gel! help

Dear QVC Forum:

Maybe its menopause (I'm 55 now), but perfumes, shower washes , even candle scents I previously enjoyed bother me so much....not in an allergic way but every smell seems so strong it gets on my nerves....I feel like I'm drowning in Philosophy Falling in Love; Bobbi Brown Beach (some of my old favorites) and even lighter Bath and Body Works scents....Help! I cannot find a soap and shower gel that does not bother me all work day. I recall as my Mom and Grandmother aged, they felt the same way..."Never give Grandma anything that smells.." Are there any fresh LIGHT natural scents that are easy to tolerate...anyone experience the same?.....the only tolerable scent I utilize is my Goldwell hair shampoo and conditioner which I use daily....any suggestions?{#emotions_dlg.huh}

Regular Contributor

Re: The older I get I am so bothered by scents/smells...I cannot find a nice light shower gel! help

Dove and Josie Maran make unscented shower gels.
Respected Contributor

Re: The older I get I am so bothered by scents/smells...I cannot find a nice light shower gel! help

Have you considered Dr. Bronners Baby Mild Liquid Soap? It works like a shower gel but it's actually milder on the skin, not being a detergent and it's scent-free.

I have the same issue, scents after age fifty started to really bother me, to the point that some of them make me burn and tingle, so perfumes are banned from my office (hey, I'm the boss, so I can do that) and I sometimes have to leave a concert if I'm seated next to a woman or man who is drenched in scent. I hate that but what can you do? They can't un-apply it. Some of the new perfumes are particularly strong (to allow manufacturers to use less of the expensive ingredient) and I can't tolerate anything but natural essential oils anymore.

I can use any of the Bronner scents, but unscented is what I buy for most cosmetics.

Esteemed Contributor

Try OGX Argan Oil of Morocco Body Wash. It has a very light, almost undetectable, very pleasant scent. It's also produces rich, creamy lather and is very hydrating.

Image result for Moroccan Argan Oil Body Wash

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

On 3/7/2015 DL2843 said: Dove and Josie Maran make unscented shower gels.
I second the Dove shower gels! They are light and fresh. cucumber and green tea, along with mandarin and tiarre flower are my faves. I learned about them from this board! CVS carries them.
Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Watch out for Dove ingredients, Unilever very often uses DMMM Hydantoin as a preservative, I try to avoid this chemical whenever possible.

Honored Contributor

Skinn has a few very nice ones, good ingredients too, sulfate free.

Respected Contributor

After turning 60, I noticed I couldn't take the smells of certain food s that previously were non-issues: Orange and grapefruit peels in the trash can, onion waste, etc. Now 70, I very carefully try perfumes before purchasing: I'll spritz some on and continue shopping for an hour or so. If it doesn't make DH sneeze and he has no objections to it, I'll repeat this one more time on another day before I buy it. It took me quite a while before I added a new perfume to my dwindling stash of two long-discontinued scents ( Theorema by FENDI and Champagne by St. Laurent ). The new scent: Sanderling .
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

Try Ivory Body Wash. It's the only one I use. Very fresh,light scent. Clean. I think you'll like it.
Trees are the lungs of the Earth