Honored Contributor

Re: The new Gel type polishes...warning!

On 8/6/2014 mima said:

I bought the Revlon's Gel Envy polishes and the Diamond top coat. After using for two or three weeks, the top layer of my nails is peeling off. In some places, my nails are paper thin. Horrible!

I also bought Avon's, but didn't use it yet. Now I don't think I will.

I don't know if it is just me or not.

Has anyone else had problems?

These are gel polishes that don't need a light to harden. The polish is wonderful. It stays on and is really hard. It doesn't chip off or wear off.

Too bad they didn't work for me.

Oh please don't tell me about Revlons Gel Envy polish! It's my new favorite! I've been using it solely this summer and am madly in love with it! Its the only polish I've ever worn that stays on forever and looks brand new even after 2 weeks! I've never had a problem with it doing any harm to my nails. And I LOVE the double brush and how thick it is! I can't stand runny polishes and one skinny brush! Yuck. I'm sorry you are having problems with this particular polish.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

On 8/6/2014 mima said:
On 8/6/2014 Tricolor said:
On 8/6/2014 mima said:

I wonder why I had trouble? My nails were doing really good until I started using this product.

If I get brave, I guess I need to try the Avon. Maybe it is something in the Revlon polish I can't use.

Thanks for your comments.

If I may suggest using Hard As Hoofs Nail Cream sold at Walmart to get your nails back in good condition. I have not used Revlon's nor Avon's new gel polishes but I have been using this cream since March. It has made an amazing difference in my nails. It took about 3 wks for me to see an improvement. It is sold where the Sally Hansen products are sold. Walmart has been the only place that I have found it. It can also be used over nail polish.

I will look for Hard as Hoofs Nail Cream. Sounds great and we do have a Walmart. Thanks!

It is only $4.97 and truly works. It must be used 3xday in the beginning and once they are in better shape can cut down to once a day or even twice a day.

Contributor

You didn't state at what point is it destroying your nails....are you using the appropriate remover or peeling it off? If you are peeling it off then I would say that could be the reason for the damage. I have shellac put on and they told me if it starts to lift or chip...DON'T PEEL as it will take off the top layer of the nail. They soak my nails in acetone nail polish remover and it slides off with zero damage. Yes...I had one that started to lift and I tried to pull it off and the top layer of nail went with it. Learned my lesson to listen.

Honored Contributor

The Avon one is just a color polish, use no base or top coat.

Respected Contributor

On 8/6/2014 Summerfun said:

You didn't state at what point is it destroying your nails....are you using the appropriate remover or peeling it off? If you are peeling it off then I would say that could be the reason for the damage. I have shellac put on and they told me if it starts to lift or chip...DON'T PEEL as it will take off the top layer of the nail. They soak my nails in acetone nail polish remover and it slides off with zero damage. Yes...I had one that started to lift and I tried to pull it off and the top layer of nail went with it. Learned my lesson to listen.

I removed it with remover after it started peeling, but I didn't physically peel it off on purpose. Maybe that is what I did wrong. I shouldn't have waited for it to start peeling. The nails are peeled off on the sides and that is where it started peeling off on its own.

Thank you for that info.

I will get my nails back into shape and "maybe" try it again. I'm scared too though.

Honored Contributor

CVS also sells Hard as Hoofs.
Honored Contributor

On 8/6/2014 sparklestar said:

All arylics and gels and anything artificial will do that.

Its neither an acrylic or a gel

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Valued Contributor

I accidentally found a great combo to keep nail color GOOD for 2 weeks ---- 2 items: OPI POLISH (2 coats) & Sally Hansens Double Duty for base & top coats. OPI top coat didn't hold well so I tried the ""drugstore"" brand in my cupboard. Amazing results -- add a topcoat every few days & it's good as the Gel (which IMO is too strong for most nails). Maybe a bit too toxic also.