Trusted Contributor

The mourning for Oscar De La Renta EDP has begun

[ Edited ]

I have worn Oscar De La Renta eau de parfum as my summer fragrance since its' inception in 1977. Over the years I've replenished my empty decanters with a new bottle of the beautiful, clean, floral yet sophisticated fragrance. 

Well, I knew I was in trouble when I opened the latest replacement and noticed that the color of the liquid was yellow, instead of an almost colorless hue. Next, the fabulous design of the decanter has been cheapened & is now overly plastic and difficult to close. Most horrifying, though, is the scent is now heavily reeking of cheap, preservative laden cologne. I am devastated! It is now made in the USA instead of France. Fragrance dot net misidentifies France as the location of the manufacturer.

Just wondering if you've noticed the change for the worse. I would have done a major hoard if I knew this was coming Smiley Sad.

dee

ETA: I now remember that I ordered this from QVC and it came with a black floral tote bag almost a year ago. Of course, Jane Traecy went on and on about it, it's country of origin, etc. This is a frank misrepresentation by the Q. Very disappointed.

Buyers beware of this practice.

Trusted Contributor

Re: The mourning for Oscar De La Renta EDP has begun

Try Ebay for your major horde now.  Everything changes.

Respected Contributor

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

I have worn Oscar De La Renta eau de parfum as my summer fragrance since its' inception in 1977. Over the years I've replenished my empty decanters with a new bottle of the beautiful, clean, floral yet sophisticated fragrance. 

Well, I knew I was in trouble when I opened the latest replacement and noticed that the color of the liquid was yellow, instead of an almost colorless hue. Next, the fabulous design of the decanter has been cheapened & is now overly plastic and difficult to close. Most horrifying, though, is the scent is now heavily reeking of cheap, preservative laden cologne. I am devastated! It is now made in the USA instead of France. Fragrance dot net misidentifies France as the location of the manufacturer.

Just wondering if you've noticed the change for the worse. I would have done a major hoard if I knew this was coming Smiley Sad.

dee

ETA: I now remember that I ordered this from QVC and it came with a black floral tote bag almost a year ago. Of course, Jane Traecy went on and on about it, it's country of origin, etc. This is a frank misrepresentation by the Q. Very disappointed.

Buyers beware of this practice.

Even Chanel has changed.  The Coco Chanel Parfum is not the same and I’ve been using it since before it ever came to America in the early 80’s.  I know that fragrance changes on us as we get older, but it just doesn’t smell the same in the bottle.   Good luck.  I feel your pain. 

Esteemed Contributor

Please............. a moment of silence..........

I'm so sorry to hear this.  Oscar de la Renta was my scent for over 25 years.  It was the only cologne (body powder, body lotion) I wore every day.  Since I retired, I only wear it on special occasions  - I still have an old spray bottle of it that smells fresh as ever.  I just wore it to a party last week - but one of these days, I'll spray it and it will smell like soured vinegar, I'm sure.  I won't repurchase.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

This has been my mother's scent forever, probably since 77.  I have to ask her what she's doing.  I've bought so much of this for her over the years.  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Sadly, the amazing scents from the 80's and earlier used real musk which is now banned. IMHO, they synthetic ingredients smell NOTHING like the real deal and so, the scents have all changed...and for the worse. Remember, however, WE smelled them back in the day. People discovering them for the first time have no idea what they USED to smell like so they look at us and say "oh, she's just old". Well, yeah, we've aged BUT they industry has also CHANGED the original ingredients.

Shame. I can see it when it's because an ingredient is no longer available for whatever reason but to change JUST so the vendor can make more money? Bleh.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Sadly, the amazing scents from the 80's and earlier used real musk which is now banned. IMHO, they synthetic ingredients smell NOTHING like the real deal and so, the scents have all changed...and for the worse. Remember, however, WE smelled them back in the day. People discovering them for the first time have no idea what they USED to smell like so they look at us and say "oh, she's just old". Well, yeah, we've aged BUT they industry has also CHANGED the original ingredients.

Shame. I can see it when it's because an ingredient is no longer available for whatever reason but to change JUST so the vendor can make more money? Bleh.

@SahmIam, the change regarding real musk is a good thing for animal lovers.

https://purrfumery.com/pages/animal-musks-the-dark-secret-of-perfume

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 Yes, which is why I wrote it the way I did.

Even though real musk could be used, many stopped due to the cost. Their scents changed and profits plummeted. They chose REALLY cheap synthetics (even they come in different levels of quality) in order to keep more money in their pockets (Ralph Lauren, for instance). Still seeing that today: companies will choose the cheapest/poorest quality of materials for their scents and well...they stink but as long as people buy them, more money for them.

As an animal lover, I have no issue with the stopping of using real musk. However, the richness of the scents DID change and not for the better. But that's how it is.