Esteemed Contributor

The history of Becca cosmetics

If your interested in the history of Becca cosmetics, the Racked website has an article about how this company started:

The title of the article is:

The Fascinating Life Cycle of Becca, a $200 Million Beauty Brand

and it's on the Racked front page https://www.racked.com/

As the article has links to other retailers, the mods would pull it if I linked to the article directly (like they did with the article I linked to about the Estee Edit makeup line).

It's interesting how Becca started as a small company, was acquired by another company before they were sold to Estee Lauder. Social media had a big part in making Becca popular.

Honored Contributor

Re: The history of Becca cosmetics

Since EL purchased Becca continues to loose status, Not only with poor quailty products! Discontinued beloved items. Becca like so many before them shall never be the same. Recently Qvc offered beauty steal Becca bronzer first ingredient! Talc. Prestigious company using fillers and known cancer causing ingredient and mother company tests on animals. Oh yea! Let's sing praises. Not!!
Honored Contributor

I always find it interesting to read about the beginnings of a company. I have never been a big fan of their products- tried several and they were just okay, especially for the price. Sadly, when they sold out to EL I am no longer interested in trying any more of their products. 

I suppose social media can really make or break a company, hence the reason so many companies send their products to all these you tubers, bloggers, and such so they can blab on and on about how "great" their products are. Very few are truly honest about the products because they know if they were, the company would stop sending them products. Anyway, you can clearly see this at work on the forums- people read a blog or watch a favorite you tube person go on and on about a product so they go run out and buy it. I am sure it brings in tons of money for those companies. It is a cheap way to advertise, especially for smaller companies not able or wanting to spend big $$ on real advertising. Just throw some free products to a dozen or so bloggers and you tubers with alot of followers and watch the sales go up up up. It is the way of the world today. 

Honored Contributor

I bought my first Becca products in 2004-2005. I saw a magazine cover with Evangeline Lilly, who was just hitting it big in the TV show Lost. I LOVED the eye makeup she had on, and the blush and lips were nice too. So I got it all! I got a few products after that, but not many. The products all had names associated with Australia. Once I noticed the brand changing I stopped buying. DD follows Jaclyn Hill, so she got the highlighter when it first came out. Becca looks a lot different from what used to be. I probably won't be getting any more of it.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

I bought my first Becca products in 2004-2005. I saw a magazine cover with Evangeline Lilly, who was just hitting it big in the TV show Lost. I LOVED the eye makeup she had on, and the blush and lips were nice too. So I got it all! I got a few products after that, but not many. The products all had names associated with Australia. Once I noticed the brand changing I stopped buying. DD follows Jaclyn Hill, so she got the highlighter when it first came out. Becca looks a lot different from what used to be. I probably won't be getting any more of it.  Smiley Happy

This is true @beach-mom! I agree. 

Trusted Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@beach-momAgree... these were the good years and maybe a few years prior too. I used to enjoy going to the nordstrom Becca area, it was in one corner where Becca was hiding and I knew the line was great but no one even the staff were unable to tell me about it, I told the lol...a few fab brushes that no one can compare them with, the powder blushes. brow powder duos with great tiny brush included and no longer made + so much more. I had NO idea the monopoly Estee bough them out...geesh again EL buys a good line out (greedy!!) how sad is that. Well I will just stick with my shimmers and 2 beach tints. That's about it. Oh yes, Back-lit primer. Nothing else floats my boat. Yes, it's changing too I can tell :/

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Honored Contributor

@mimi5775 wrote:

@beach-mom wrote:

@beach-momAgree... these were the good years and maybe a few years prior too. I used to enjoy going to the nordstrom Becca area, it was in one corner where Becca was hiding and I knew the line was great but no one even the staff were unable to tell me about it, I told the lol...a few fab brushes that no one can compare them with, the powder blushes. brow powder duos with great tiny brush included and no longer made + so much more. I had NO idea the monopoly Estee bough them out...geesh again EL buys a good line out (greedy!!) how sad is that. Well I will just stick with my shimmers and 2 beach tints. That's about it. Oh yes, Back-lit primer. Nothing else floats my boat. Yes, it's changing too I can tell :/

Becca sold out! Period! No fault of EL. Becca is the one who took the money. Same with countless other cosmetic companies.
Respected Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

Same here @beach-mom. Products aren't near as good as when this company first came out. Their highlighters were in a league all their own when they first came out. Now, anyone and everyone puts out highlighters and young girls are wanting to "Glow to the gods". They don't want natural for sure. It's like these companies are trying to outdo each other and see how shimmery and glittery they can make it.