Esteemed Contributor

Re: The disconnect between Nordstrom's stores and their website

@SahmIam wrote:

This comes from those I know who have worked (some have retired) at Nordstrom for 20 years plus as well as my discussions with Nordstrom corporate (for issues relating specifically to the LACK of customer service):

*There was a MAJOR change at the top level when the next "generation" took over from their elders.

*The desire to make Nordstrom "relevant" meant clearing out the "old ways" and making everything modern. This involved:

1) Removal of the piano at all stores

2) The renovation of the Cafe's from a restaurant like menu and atmosphere to more of a cafeteria in both ways.

3) The removal of the Customer Service Department from all stores to using 1 or 2 kiosks in the store and having "roving Customer Relations Officers" in the stores. This proved to be a mess and now you have to deal with SA's for everything. That has proven to be a mess if you have issues with your charges, returns, Nordie Notes, etc. as they are not trained to deal with those matters.

4) The change of Nordi Notes and tiers.

5)The HEAVY use of YouTube "influencers" to sell the Nordstrom products. 

6) The push to remove older employees from working the floor. This situation was experienced by those I know who were in their late 40's, 50's and 60's and dealt with issues that were discriminatory. A few sued and settled out of court. Look around; you RARELY see anyone "older". 

7) The worst decision was the move from counters in their cosmetic department to walls. All products are showcased vertically making it extremely difficult to look at anything. There is no place to sit and converse and try the products. No one I know from my store likes it. It makes shoplifting MUCH easier. Summary: it's was sheer stupidity to do it. FYI: the cosmetic company, not Nordstrom, makes the call to put the items on sale and Estee Lauder doesn't do sales 99.9% of the time.

IMHO, Nordstrom alienated a large portion of their customer base. In my area, they stripped the stores of the brands that made them unique to all other stores. Couple that with the LACK of customer service and it's like going into a Macy's.....why bother? My store is kept alive by two departments: cosmetics and shoes (mens and womens). Otherwise, there is nothing worth purchasing anymore. You have to go to their big stores in Tysons or Towson to get the "good stuff". That's a nightmare so online is where people go. Why would anyone put up with all of the above? Who needs  the stress? This began before online became a major issue, btw, so I see Nordstrom as causing their own issues; no sympathy for them.

@SahmIam, very interesting post.  Thanks so much.  I have noticed all you mention and then some.   I have stated many times my displeasure with what has happened to the store.   An example is this half-yearly sale.  It is the cr**.   That's all they ever put on sale.  The rest you have to find on sale somewhere else and then have them match it.   Why bother.

Trusted Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl ,

I agree with your post!

Sadly, my favorite Nordies closed in September Woman Mad

It was part of an upscale outdoor "mall" with entrances to individual storefronts that I really like, even in the winter. There is a huge outdoor fireplace, hot chocolate, and bistro set ups. In mild months it is equally lovely. In the summer there is bocce ball and a water feature kids can use, huge outdoor television. The rent prices are enormous, I've heard, so I guess they weren't selling enough product.

There is another older Nordstrom equal distance in an indoor high end mall that I do not care for.

And, no, I won't be frequenting Rack anytime soon. Was there one time, never again. The store was a total mess worse than Marshalls or TJ Maxx.

I have had excellent luck with ordering from their website. Sale items ordered arrived promptly, returns are free. QVC could learn a thing or two from them IMO.

dee

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

I do order from the website and I can say I have never had a problem.  I can not say if I received email confirmation or tracking numbers - I do not care, as long as the order is delivered. 

They have the best sales so I do enjoy shopping there, mostly online as it is easier and faster for me.

As PP said Nord Rack is awful!!!!! Just a dump.  They used to have real clearance center with GREAT deals from Nordstrom now it is just junk made to sell at the RACK.

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Personally, I have never had an issue with Nordstrom or Nordstrom Rack.  Nordstrom has excellent customer service -- always very professional yet friendly.  It is probably best to shop elsewhere if you are not happy with store and their sales.

The irony is that I grew up in Nordstrom's back yard. I grew up in Tacoma, Washington and my mom worked at the Nordstrom at the Tacoma mall for many years so what I see at the Canadian Nordstrom is kind of sad. It's not a place that I want to visit very much even though it's a nice looking store. If I am going to make a trip to downtown Vancouver, there just are other places I'd rather shop at. But the reality is that downtown Vancouver parking is so expensive that I will seldom visit down there and shopping there is usually because I'm there for another reason (like see a ballet).

The fact that I haven't made any purchases at the Vancouver, B.C. flagship Nordstrom store is telling since I will shop at the store in Las Vegas as it's easy to get to when I'm staying on the strip. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam 

If Estee Lauder is calling the shots about after Christmas sales on their holiday limited edition makeup brands, then Nordstrom's Canadian managers are clearly inept as other retailers who sell Clinique in Canada like Hudson's Bay, Shoppers Drug Mart (a national drugstore chain in Canada) and London Drugs (another drugstore chain in Canada) have put their limited edition items on clearance after Christmas.

I also agree with you about using social media influencers to advertise and sell stuff - nearly every beauty and fashion youtuber had some kind of sponsorship to promote the Nordstrom anniversary sale this past summer. The problem was that those influencers bought up everything and left no inventory for the regular Nordstrom customer. Boy did Nordstrom mess that one up, but good.

Nordstrom's american managers in Canada are clueless and don't even take advantage of the Canadian provincial holiday in August which is the first Monday of the month. Nordstrom ends their anniversary sale on the Sunday before the Monday holiday. Duh...a lot of people have that day off and would probably shop at Nordstrom's anniversary sale if it was on an extra day in Canada. Other retailers in Canada wouldn't be making such a stupid marketing gaffe when it comes to selling on a holiday long weekend.

Honored Contributor

My Nordstrom Rack is no different than TJ Maxx, etc. Most discount stores operate on a "hunt and find method". There are no sales associates on the floor to help you or keep stock in the correct piles or sections. Sometimes it's a pain to take the extra time to look for what you want, but so worth it when you grab a designer item for 1/3 less. 

I don't shop discount stores for specific needs. I visit regularly, with list in hand. If I come across a bargain not on the list, I have to weigh whether it's worth adding it to my curated closet which took so much time to weed out. 

Super Contributor

@SahmIamTotally Agree...when they turned to Ageism & became Politcal with what brands they would carry or other ridiculous notions, I canceled my CC & found the same items they carried at much lower prices either online or at other stores without their polital rants.

Yes, they did this to themselves, shooting themselves in the foot & alienating the Baby Boomers with $$$$$ to spend. Most of the stores in my area have closed...only "The Rack" is close to my & I'd rather shop at TJ Maxx, Marshalls or Ross.

Honored Contributor

@TY I have no answer as to why some stores do and some don't discount EL products. When I worked behind the counter (both luxury dept. stores no defunct), we would hear that complaint after Christmas all the time. Clarins, Chanel and Lancome don't discount their holiday stuff either. Maybe it's a deal they have with the dept. store; I really don't know. I can only tell you what I experienced and what those who used to/do work at Nordstrom regarding the non-discounting.

@Shanus I don't know if Tysons was remodeled or not. I don't know what causes a store to be remodeled, being honest. I can tell you that my Nordstrom used to be a very nice restaurant with a true Art Deco flair. Numerous choices off the menu and a cozy/inviting place to sit, eat and relax with lots of plants and privacy walls/cozy booths. Now it's a few selections of food, all the coziness is gone replaced with an open concept and hard seating, bright lights and loud/modern abstracts. 180 degrees from before. It resembles the mall eatery, to be honest. We stopped eating there as even the quality of the food went down. *sobs*

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am sorry you were not pleased with your shopping trip.  Perhaps I am lucky. I live in a Los Angeles suberb.  The Rack stores here are not a mess.  Our Nordstom was rebuilt and relocated into the new Americana a few years ago and resembles the Bloomindale style-which means a change in the makeup counters to fewer sit-down places, but that is the modern architectural style now popular with the younger set-white and black and shiny floors.  I agree I miss the old rich wood floors and counters, and the piano.  Arcadia still had the piano last time I was there.  I have found that the employees are still very polite and helpful. And yes, cosmetics sales are set by the company, not the store.

I have placed several orders recently from the Rack and they arrived in a very timely manner, well packaged.

Maybe you could give it another chance when the holidays settle?  Hope it works for you.

Respected Contributor

I agree the website and the store are very different animals.  A few months ago I was in need of a cocktail dress for an occasion.  I looked at Nordstrom's website and saw so many beautiful dresses, many of which said they were available for pickup in store.  I went to the store and found NONE of these dresses.  Confused, I asked a sales girl and explained the situation.  She told me that often people buy something online and come to pick it up and find it's NOT available and then they get mad.  So I would never trust that info any more.  

Trusted Contributor

@Grouchomarx   What I believe the "pick-up in store" feature means, at least in my experience, is that you order and it will be transferred to the store overnight or so for you to pickup.  When you are checking online you will also see "available today for pick-up" which means it is physically in store today.  Perhaps that is what you experienced?