Regular Contributor

Re: The before-and-after Wen pictures...

On 3/26/2015 Lucky charm said:

I can't get over how many days people can go without shampooing...I'm jealous.....I think.

I'm the same way, Lucky charm! Can't go a day without washing, or I'm mortified every time I catch a glimpse of my greasy roots in the mirror. Even when I put it in a ponytail, you can still tell. That's actually a big part of the reason I hardly ever heat-style - I would have to wash it all over again the next day, so it seems like kind of a waste of time and potentially damaging, too.

I also get really bad beadhead, though, so at least I have a good reason to wash every morning and start over. I might feel guilty washing it just to make it look normal if it weren't actually dirty.

@HappyDaze, if you're protein sensitive, make sure to stay away from coconut oil! My hair was tangly for days after I used it (even with several washes) as a supposed moisturizing treatment overnight. Turns out, even though it's not a classic protein, it's considered to be a "protein-mimicking" substance and essentially treats your hair the same way. I've noticed that aloe vera is similar, and I've heard jojoba can be protein-mimicking. It's hard to find products that don't have any protein-based ingredients (let alone all these mimicking snakes in the grass), I think because, as I said earlier, so many people dye and heat-style their hair and therefore do need them. Ugh.

Honored Contributor

On 3/26/2015 HomeShoppingLover87 said:
On 3/26/2015 Lucky charm said:

I can't get over how many days people can go without shampooing...I'm jealous.....I think.

I'm the same way, Lucky charm! Can't go a day without washing, or I'm mortified every time I catch a glimpse of my greasy roots in the mirror. Even when I put it in a ponytail, you can still tell. That's actually a big part of the reason I hardly ever heat-style - I would have to wash it all over again the next day, so it seems like kind of a waste of time and potentially damaging, too.

I also get really bad beadhead, though, so at least I have a good reason to wash every morning and start over. I might feel guilty washing it just to make it look normal if it weren't actually dirty.

@HappyDaze, if you're protein sensitive, make sure to stay away from coconut oil! My hair was tangly for days after I used it (even with several washes) as a supposed moisturizing treatment overnight. Turns out, even though it's not a classic protein, it's considered to be a "protein-mimicking" substance and essentially treats your hair the same way. I've noticed that aloe vera is similar, and I've heard jojoba can be protein-mimicking. It's hard to find products that don't have any protein-based ingredients (let alone all these mimicking snakes in the grass), I think because, as I said earlier, so many people dye and heat-style their hair and therefore do need them. Ugh.

I actually have been using coconut oil on my hair since I was a child (my mom used it on my hair when I was little). It does not react the same way on my hair that traditional protein does. I still use it as a deep treatment a few times a month. I credit coconut oil and my mom not using anything harsh on my head/hair as a child for always having had healthy hair.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/26/2015 PamelaSue72 said:
On 3/25/2015 bruingirl said:
On 3/25/2015 Drythe said:
On 3/24/2015 bruingirl said: sos dd yawn Smiley Wink

Another pitiful try from the Nix mini-fan club on a subject thats been beaten to death.

Sad for him. Double yawn. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

{{{{{Wave}}}}} to bruingirl, how are you doing? I got my super size 613 RTM yesterday - spritz, spritz - WENDERFUL!

Love my shiny, bouncy, no split-ends, long, WEN hair & Chaz Dean!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Hey Drythe!

I'm well thank you. oh yes, love the 613 RTM. I should post the pic I posted yesterday on social media of my wen hair....I don't generally share hair pics but others were doing so and it looked fun. I have to say reading "certain" threads reminds me of a post I came across on IG...I will paraphrase ..."If you don't like me & still watch everything I do witch you are a fan" {#emotions_dlg.lol}{#emotions_dlg.lol}

bruingirl

Whatever happened to Don't Take The Bait? Talk the talk, walk the walk, all that good stuff. There is quite of bit of interesting information in this thread, even though you don't agree with it.

{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

live....laugh....love
Trusted Contributor

On 3/24/2015 HomeShoppingLover87 said:
On 3/24/2015 shaggygirl said:

On another note, what bothers me about the before photos where they have used regular shampoo and probably no conditioner, they haven't been styled, but the WEN girls have been. Not a fair comparison. And I am using Wen Tea Tree, every 3rd day then a good cleaning of my hair & scalp with my regular shampoo/conditioner.

Yes, that has always driven me crazy, too! Of course their hair is going to look way better with "professional styling" than it would air-dried. It's almost insulting to the intelligence.

And I actually like watching the Wen shows (not exactly sure why, LOL), so this isn't coming from some place of being against Wen and/or Chaz. I just think it's unfair how Chaz can sort of get away with these shady marketing techniques because he seems so sweet and not like your typical used car-salesman.

one of the main reasons Chaz created wen was to help with color fading...the before shot with shampoo illustrates how some shampoos can strip color...most vendors on Q show the after shots with "pro styling".

live....laugh....love
Trusted Contributor

See, they should use people like you as the "afters" without styling! Because I don't think Wen would be as popular as it is if it really didn't work for some people. I just know - for me personally - when I see a "professionally styled" after picture, no matter how gorgeous the hair looks, I instantly get turned off the product and wonder what it would look like air-dried, and why they weren't confident enough in the product to show that. (And I have tried Wen before - didn't notice much of a difference in my hair, but it might be - because I said above - I already have quite healthy, un-chemically-processed hair. So for me, it's just not worth the money).

there have been demos with models who just air dried their hair....they just don't do it all the time.

live....laugh....love
Trusted Contributor

"Millions of women never heard of wen and use regular shampoo and have beautiful hair"

Yes, which adds to the ridiculousness of the near-cultlike brainwashing the Q hosts and Chaz do about Wen. I mean, women ironed their very long hair in the '70s, probably without using any kind of protectant, and used regular shampoo, and some of them still had gorgeous hair, from what I can tell.

So if Wen really does help women who have particularly unruly and/or damaged hair, power to them; but it annoys me when they make it seem as though everyone needs Wen and shampoo is so evil.

{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} for the "ridiculousness of the near-cultlike brainwashing" comment

the same could be said of other vendors on Q selling a product, right?

live....laugh....love
Trusted Contributor

@ TY, I totally agree about the round brush thing! That's another one of the Wen selling points that makes me roll my eyes, but for some reason I forgot about it until you mentioned it. They act like a professional stylist using a blow dryer and his $60 brush is the same as a cavewoman trying to beat her hair against a rock with another rock to style it.

And interesting point about the baby shampoo, Mimichic. If I'm recalling correctly, I think Chaz has made it seem as though they used the baby shampoo because it's the gentlest out there. If so, another shameless marketing ploy, given your point.

Another one that gets on my nerves is that same model they always use for washing one side of her hair with the "sugar-based" sulfate-free shampoo, then getting her hand stuck. I feel like she always over-acts how distressed she is about her hand not being able to run through her hair, plus how do I know that's even true? It seems like it would be pretty easy to pretend your hand is caught in your wet hair. AND tthere are plenty of products - even cheap drugstore ones I use - that detaingle wonderfully. It's not the magic of all the oils Chaz boasts.

$60 brush? that's a lie since wen brushes don't cost $60.

They act like a professional stylist using a blow dryer and his $60 brush is the same as a cavewoman trying to beat her hair against a rock with another rock to style it. I don't understand what you mean by this statement

re: baby shampoo....years ago wen models had to wash their hair with shampoo for their before shot...Joy used baby shampoo that she had in her home...she used it because she thought it was gentle ...Chaz didn't ask her to use baby shampoo...just shampoo

distressed about running her hand through the shampoo side and knowing if it's true? well you can do your own comparison like the model...use wen on one side and shampoo on the other side

a separate detangler shouldn't be needed when using wen

live....laugh....love
Trusted Contributor

On 3/26/2015 HappyDaze said:
On 3/26/2015 RespectLife said:

FYI- Baby Shampoo is excellent for killing fleas on your pets.

We were having a flea problem on a litter of itsy kittens and the vet said to use baby shampoo.

Those fleas dropped dead instantly. We continued while we had pets to use it as flea control. Cheaper than pet store brands for flea control by far!

Kinda scares me that I was putting it on my kids heads!

Scary! I know my mom never used baby shampoo on me and I thank her for it because I believe that is why I've always had good, healthy hair and no ouchie eyes!

That is scary! But I will try that if my cats ever get fleas again (hopefully not).

I also almost bought baby shampoo for myself once, believing (like Chaz) that it would be the gentlest type. Glad I didn't!

As much as I poke fun at some aspects of Wen, it is the reason I got onto sulfate-free shampoo, which I do think has helped my hair. When I use a sulfate-based shampoo more than once or twice a week, my hair gets really staticky, and it also looks a lot healthier now than it did a couple years ago. Though, on the flip side, I used total junk, whatever's-cheapest shampoo when I was younger and had pretty darn nice hair, so maybe it's something else. I've also eliminated proteins from my hair regimen, and I think that's helped a lot. Since so many people dye and heat-style their hair in our culture, we're kind of all told that we need to replenish our hair with protein (similar to the Wen sales model). But if you don't really do anything to your hair in the first place (I almost never heat style and don't dye), unless you have very frail hair naturally, you don't need extra protein, and it can actually do monstrous things to your hair (found that out the hard way). It's not just, "Hey, might as well make my hair even healthier!" It won't if you already have enough protein in your hair. It gets crispy and gross.

poke fun? gee I didn't get that impression on many of your posts on this thread

live....laugh....love
Trusted Contributor

On 3/26/2015 stevieb said:

You'd like to think the product could stand on its own. I've often thought the 'before' pictures went out of their way to show the models hair in the positively worst, most unflattering light they could manage. It almost seems trumped up. I get it that they want to show a significant difference with and without, but the difference seems rather glaring and not all because of the product, but because absolutely nothing was done to style their hair in the initial pictures.

Yes, that's what's odd about it. As I think I said earlier in this thread, I do believe the women who say Wen has greatly improved their hair (though I'm sure there are also some for whom it's basically a hair placebo or who just like the indulgence of pampering yourself with Wen, being a "Wen girl," etc.). So it almost seems like a disservice to the product to use such shameless sales ploys.

well speaking for myself, wen has improved my hair and I do like the indulgence of pampering myself with wen and I like being a wen girl...I've been one for 8.5 years

live....laugh....love
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/26/2015 bruingirl said:

See, they should use people like you as the "afters" <em>without</em> styling! Because I don't think Wen would be as popular as it is if it really didn't work for some people. I just know - for me personally - when I see a "professionally styled" after picture, no matter how gorgeous the hair looks, I instantly get turned off the product and wonder what it would look like air-dried, and why they weren't confident enough in the product to show that. (And I have tried Wen before - didn't notice much of a difference in my hair, but it might be - because I said above - I already have quite healthy, un-chemically-processed hair. So for me, it's just not worth the money).

there have been demos with models who just air dried their hair....they just don't do it all the time.

Chaz is lucky to have your support bruingirl! More often than not I've seen apples to orange before/after shots- you can't even make a reasonable comparison. Suggest to Chaz he stick with apples to apples- JUST shampoo in one vs JUST Wen in the other. No styling products- or styling tricks with either/or picture. That would be a TRUE comparison!