Honored Contributor

Re: The Talk show on TV yesterday GOING MAKEUP FREE

I think everyone can benefit from a little natural looking color on good skin. If it makes you feel good, do it, if not don't. I find as I age if I don't wear some color on my face I look tired, who wants to look tired. I always wear lip color, full make up or bare faced.

Honored Contributor

@WenGirl42 wrote:

I think there's a very big difference between going makeup free in your daily life and going makeup free on HD television (when everyone else on TV is wearing makeup and your audience is used to seeing your made-up look).  They probably had to announce it, not because they think it's a huge deal, but so that they don't get a million letters from people expressing concern about how different they looked and wondering if they're sick.  Unless they actually wore different makeup to produce a natural, no-makeup look, so as not to appear corpselike under the TV lights.  I didn't see it.

I go barefaced all the time, but I know I objectively look better with a natural makeup look, so there are occasions where I make the effort.  This includes going to work (to look my best professionally) and going out and about with my husband most of the time.  But around the house or running errands alone, I usually don't bother. 

@WenGirl42  I always make some effort when I leave the house....never know who you’ll run into...perhaps an old high school boyfriend. No need for full on glam, but a little tinted moisturizer, blush & gloss take a second.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

If women want to go makeup free good for them. I do not like the subtle shaming that goes on for those of us who do wear makeup. People can practice good skin care and still have skin issues due to genetics or meds they are taking, etc. Some people just feel more comfortable facing the world with makeup.

Around the house I don’t wear makeup. If I am going out to run errands or anything else I wear makeup. I wear less foundation than I used to because I am not as concerned about covering up every little thing as I did when I was younger. My makeup includes tinted SPF moisturizer, mascara, subtle eyeliner, neutral eye shadow, & lip gloss. I use concealer & highighter as needed and blush. 

Honored Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

When I watched the show I thought the biggest difference was the eye makeup.  Eye liner, mascara, and brows make your eyes look more awake and alive. 

@chiclet  As we age, the eyes show it first either w/ lines, dark circles, and lighter or thinner lashes. I like tightlining for that reason. It’s almost invisible, brings definition and makes lashes look thicker all at same time.  (Black pencil for brunettes or dark brown if lighter hair or fair complexion).

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I still wear foundation almost every day.  I just feel more confident covering up the broken capillaries on my cheeks which I don't believe really enhances my look.   I find it more freeing to not be self conscious about it with the help of foundation. 

Perhaps I should adjust my outlook on things but I'm not that strong so I prefer to wear makeup.  I also like wearing some eye makeup (I apply with a light hand) since I have naturally very small eyes and lipstick adds a bit of color to my face...oh how I envy those of you who are natural beauties!

@haddon9  Don’t be envious. There are few natural beauties! Ever see those tabloid mags with “stars without makeup”? Frightening!

Frequent Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Going out without makeup is no big deal. What bothers me is the associated attention received by stars and tv personalities, who without mu, may have the unfair advantage of weekly facials, peels, lasers to looking good w/o makeup. 

This gives some of us a feeling of “why don’t I look like that bare faced”? Big whoop if a magazine shoot shows a celebrity without full on makeup. With the correct lighting, cameras at the perfect angle, we’d all be the picture of perfection. 

It’s amazing how good you can look with someone to fix all your healthy meals for you, a personal trainer, access to the best medical care, and the ability to take advantage of the latest and greatest skincare. Even if I go without much makeup, I always need undereye concealer. I look like a zombie without it. 

Respected Contributor

I bet the cosmetic companies are not liking that very much. 

Honored Contributor

I think for many celebrities it is a big deal because they usually are so made up that without all of that, I think many look very different and not always in a good way. It is shocking to see some and they may not look at all like we and everyone else is used to seeing them.

I've actually been amazed at the difference the whole makeup face and probably photshops is when none of it is there.

One example is Goldie Hawn without makeup. 

It makes me feel like I'm glad I don't have that scary trandformation.

So I imagine it is a big deal to all except maybe very young ones and even then, some don't look recognizable.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I look prettier with makeup.  I wear it when I go out unless it is a quick errand to the post office or something like that.  It does not define who I am or how I treat others when I got out.  I just look a little better with it. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden,

I totally agree with you. I have never used make up, maybe it is a European thing. I always take very good care of my skin and wear lipstick. Ocassionally I wear mascara and les meteorites from Guerlain🌻