Esteemed Contributor

The Pretty Package or What's Inside?

Just curious.... do you buy a product for pretty packaging or for the product inside? I see so many beauty kits/items shown on shopping channels (especially during the holidays) that come in lovely displays with fancy makeup bags, gold-patterned boxes that are tiny drawers in a bigger box, etc. Granted the packaging is gorgeous, but when you get it home, you remove the products from the boxes and what? Do you keep the fancy packaging or toss it?

Are you more attracted to a beauty product if it's in a fancy glass bottle or jar? (I've been so guilty of this) Or are you loyal to a great product in cheap plastic?

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Re: The Pretty Package or What's Inside?

I love gorgeous wrapping and artful displays and have often purchased something because of that, get it home and find I can't use half the products. I've learned not to do this anymore and only buy something when I can actually use the products AND the gorgeous boxes, train cases, little clutches, etc.

I used to be a sucker for Estee Lauder's purchase with purchase, especially at Christmas and realized I can wear nothing brown at a time when even the lipsticks were brown-tinged. Now, if the products are "rose" or "pink" I can do it...

Live and learn, but yes I think most of us fall for the incredible packaging.... {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

I can appreciate lovely packaging but I am all about what's inside. If something works, I couldn't care less about how it's packaged.

Valued Contributor

For me, it's always about the ingredients/what's inside.

Honored Contributor

I'm not a girlie-girl about packaging. I would maybe care if it's a present, but for myself? It doesn't matter at all. I'm not the target audience for when presenters talk up the packaging of cosmetics.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I buy for the product inside, but sometimes I'll buy more products at one time because of limited edition packaging. MAC is the king of limited edition packaging and repromotes core or previously discontinued items in new collections with special packaging. The Wonder Woman and Alluring Aquatic collections had fantastic packaging and I'm still sad I didn't get anything from the Alluring Aquatics collection just because of the unique packaging.

Respected Contributor

Definitely buy for the contents and not the packaging. This time of year I sometimes buy a couple of different gift sets and split them up and use as separate gifts. You can save a lot of money this way and also keep a few products for yourself.

Valued Contributor

I'm a s&cker for good design and nice packaging. And if a product is both GOOD and has great design than that's a bonus.

Esteemed Contributor

The product, but I will admit that packaging can sway me one way or the other. Especially if it's a gift.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

What's inside counts the most, just like with most everything. Smiley Wink