Regular Contributor

Re: The Personal Upside of Salon Closings

It's been 4 1/2 months since I got my hair trimmed.  I usually go about every other month but time got away from me and then they had to close.  I have done a box color on my roots every 2-3 weeks but I've taken advanced the work from home option and haven't applied that in a month.  Since I started working from home, I no longer use any heat tools on my hair and have done a few hair and face masks.  I may get used to working from home now!

Honored Contributor

There is ZERO upside to salons closing, whether it be hair, nails or waxing.  I'm going gray, my nails look like I was raised in a barn & I won't even tell you what the lack of waxing apppointments has made me look like!  I have no desire to leave my home until they open.  Have mercy!  I'm a sight to see.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Decided last summer to stop coloring my hair a cool brown.  The roots looked ridiculous about 18 days out.  Awful!  

So I had my stylist do major platinum blonde highlights and grey-ish brown low lites.  And I started using a purple shampoo too keep it cool toned.

Best decision ever.  She put me on her instagram said I had so many *likes* or whatever they do for hearts.  So the roots aren't nasty like they would've been if I was still doing the brown.

My hair is long and with the temps getting up in the 70's I will want about 4 or 5 inches cut off.  It's too much to put up now.  My husband loves it this long, though.  

Speaking of whom, I need to do something about his hair.  I clipped the back to straighten it, but I need to do the mop on top.  I don't have anything other than regular scissors.  Maybe I should look on the big A for better scissors.  

Oh and he thought he could go without shaving, uh NO.  So now he has a fu manchu and then some.....that I don't mind.

Honored Contributor

There is NO upside to this and it’s inconsiderate to say so.  My daughter is a hairstylist with a good clientele.  Her book is always full.  She has zero income right now but still has regular bills she’s obligated to pay - rent, car payment, utilities, cable, phone, groceries, etc.  She’s actually had clients ask to come to her home or her go to theirs.  She can’t do either, and then they get mad at her for doing what’s right as opposed to what’s convenient for them.  She has applied for unemployment, but the process is slow.  And even when she starts receiving a check it won’t be anywhere near what she is used to making.  At least with restaurants closing to dine-in customers, they are still able to remain open for curbside pickup and carry out.  Hairstylists can do nothing but wait this out and hope their salons are able to open soon before having to close for good.

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch, I can only speak for myself, but I bet others would agree.  I in no way meant to imply that I am not fully aware of the blow this is to my hairstylist, who is a single mom.  She, like your daughter, is always booked well in advance.  I apologize if you felt it was being inconsiderate.  My gal posted on instagram ways to help their stylists, which were to order product from them, book future appointments and share pics of their hair.  Well, I'd already booked the next four appointments after this started, I then ordered hair products from her, but I just don't think my pic is one she wants for instagram, etc.  ;-)

I also have a very dear, longtime friend whose DIL is a hairstylist.  We were all at dinner one night and the gal was telling me how she has clients call on her days off, when she is on vacation, anytime, wanting her to come in to do their hair because they have a special event or ran out of hair product, those type of things.  I was shocked.  So I am not shocked that your daughter's clients want her to break the rules to do their hair.  People are amazing. 

Trusted Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

There is ZERO upside to salons closing, whether it be hair, nails or waxing.  I'm going gray, my nails look like I was raised in a barn & I won't even tell you what the lack of waxing apppointments has made me look like!  I have no desire to leave my home until they open.  Have mercy!  I'm a sight to see.

@SurferWife   I have to agree....My hair grows fast so I look like Rapunzel with roots.  Not a good look.  

Honored Contributor

I look strange.  I tried to cut my hair.  Not a good idea.  My husband's hair is about as long as mine.  Bangs are crooked.  Tried to cut them.  Give up!

Respected Contributor

Selfishly I am very unhappy about the salons being closed but nothing can be done. Hopefully they will get things running soon but I fear that this business won't be a priority in the eyes of those who made this decision.

Honored Contributor

I have to wonder what the long term effect is going to be on salons due to people who decide that they either don't want to color their hair anymore or they can do it at home for a lot cheaper?  

The salon I go to is selling hair products during this time.  I am buying from them to try and help in any way I can.  It's curb side pick-up.  You order on-line, pay on-line and they give you a pick-up time to pull up and they drop it in your car and you go on your way.   

Respected Contributor

Other than the fact I've saved a good deal of money, I see no upside to salon closings.  I seriously doubt many employees worked for sheer enjoyment.  Even if they collect unemployment, isn't it based on salary? The stylists I know, make more in tips than actual salary.

The salon I go to is owned and operated by one person.  She had a large salon and just got tired of the headaches of running it.  She sold it then opened this one. Her husband owns a fairly large "successful" restaurant which is now closed. Up to now he has continued paying his employees, but it is getting harder and harder.

Like @Lipstickdiva  I worry that many of these closed businesses will never recover from this nightmare we are now living.