Honored Contributor

The Ordinary's BHA (2%) and AHA (30%) Peeling Solution

[ Edited ]

I was thinking about incorporating this product into my routine.  I've used Paula's Choice 2% BHA, but I'd like to try this one. 

Anyone use or thoughts?

What is it?

This peeling mask is specially formulated with alpha-hydroxy acids (glycolic acid) to exfoliate the skin's topmost surface for a brighter and more even appearance in just 10 minutes. Meanwhile, beta hydroxy acids (BHA) work to exfoliate the skin with an extended function to help clear pore congestion to help fight visible blemishes and for improved skin radiance.

With regular use, it’s said to improve the appearance of skin texture and reduces the look of fine lines with continued use, making it perfect for those with stubborn hyperpigmentation and hormonal acne. And unlike vitamin C, which is known for being sun-sensitive, this mask contains Tasmanian Pepperberry derivative to help reduce irritation associated with acid use. It is further supported with a crosspolymer form of hyaluronic acid for comfort, Vitamin B5 to assist healing and black carrot as an antioxidant.

To use, apply evenly across a clean face and neck using fingertips, avoiding the eye area. Leave on for no more than 10 minutes and then rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water.

THE ORDINARY AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution

Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Ordinary's BHA (30%) and AHA (2%) Peeling Solution

Perhaps the % are reversed?  🤔

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That looks interesting. How often would you use this?

I use a 10% GA cream every other night, on my nights off of RA. I leave the GA cream on over night and in the morning I rinse and my skin is glowing. I wonder if I could also do the Ordinary occasionally. The BHA really dries my skin, however.

In that Ordinary's description it says VC is 'sun-sensitive'...?? ...well I disagree b/c it helps neutralize free radicals formed from UV exposure.

ETA-  30% AHA is extremely high and, from personal experience with using acids, I would not recommend starting out using that concentration. But if you have used acids recently, particularly AHAs, then you might benefit from using the higher concentration.

Honored Contributor

Interesting product.  Where do you get it and how much is it?  I was complaining the other day about Skinn's DermAppeal being too gritty for my skin and this is more the approach I would like to take.  I currently have a different product on order from Amazon which uses fruit enzymes.  

Trusted Contributor

@San Antonio Gal  I use The Ordinary products but not this one. I did check and there are a few YouTube videos on this particular item. Might be worth it to see how it's used and their thoughts. ?? 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess wrote:

Interesting product.  Where do you get it and how much is it?  I was complaining the other day about Skinn's DermAppeal being too gritty for my skin and this is more the approach I would like to take.  I currently have a different product on order from Amazon which uses fruit enzymes.  

You can get The Ordinary product from Sephora (some only online).  Sephora is offering free shipping now.  I have the product, but have only used it a couple of times so I can't give a review on it.  Check out the Beautypedia website as they review The Ordinary.

Trusted Contributor

Honored Contributor

I see Ulta also sells it and there are a bunch of reviews there.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

That looks interesting. How often would you use this?

I use a 10% GA cream every other night, on my nights off of RA. I leave the GA cream on over night and in the morning I rinse and my skin is glowing. I wonder if I could also do the Ordinary occasionally. The BHA really dries my skin, however.

In that Ordinary's description it says VC is 'sun-sensitive'...?? ...well I disagree b/c it helps neutralize free radicals formed from UV exposure.

ETA-  30% AHA is extremely high and, from personal experience with using acids, I would not recommend starting out using that concentration. But if you have used acids recently, particularly AHAs, then you might benefit from using the higher concentration.

@SilleeMee   I always read and enjoy your advice and input. I use The Ordinary GA 7% and have for a couple years. I really am interested in upping the %. I think going to 10% would be okay. I also use the Matryxl serum from this brand, and I really like it. It is very hydrating on my skin. 

Honored Contributor

@wvumountiefan 

10% concentration seems to be the sweet spot for GA. That strength is just the right amount to leave on the skin for longer periods of time, for example over night. That way your skin will benefit the most from the acid by allowing it to penetrate the skin over time where it has been shown to stimulate collagen deeper in the skin. 10% is just right for that...not too strong to cause irritation yet strong enough to boost collagen along with surface exfoliation. GA is a very small molecule and it is the only skin care acid which can penetrate the skin as much as to stimulate collagen. That's why I like it so much.