Esteemed Contributor
Has anyone used the ordinary retinol? How is it they can sell a 2% retinol for $10. I am skeptical but might try it if it was good.
Honored Contributor

Re: The Ordinary retinol

[ Edited ]

My guess as to why it's only $10 might be because of the packaging. Looks like this product comes in a dropper bottle. This may not be the best container to have for retinol in order for it to maintain it's efficacy over time. Glycerin is the second on the list of ingredients which might explain how the retinoid is protected from air. It might be  little sticky.

image1.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I thought the highest percentage you could sell without a prescription was 1.5%?

I'd be very skeptical of a retinol product that sold for $10.  I'd want to know exactly where it came from.  What size is the bottle?  Is this brand you're talking about actually called "Ordinary Retinol"?  I'd like to google it.

Super Contributor

Linda Marshall frim Elysee says the price of the product does not reflect the ingredients. Some high priced brands only use about a dollar's worth of ingredients. You pay for the name, advertising and packaging. 

Trusted Contributor

Retinol should be in an opaque airless delivery system (pump) and not an eye dropper.  I use Paula's Choice retinol products and am happy with them.  Not inexpensive, but you get what you pay for in my opinion.

Esteemed Contributor

@Venezia~ I use a non-prescription retinol every night that is 2.5%.  It's also creamy and moisturizing and comes in an air-tight pump bottle.  

AmaraOrganics dot com

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

I use the 2% retinoid and the stronger 1% retinol. I can definitely tell a difference in my skin. I like the line and use several other products from them. 

Trusted Contributor

I have found this to be a very good reasonably priced line.  I have a lot of their products:  Rose Hip Seed Oi., Advanced Retinoid, AHA/BHA Peeling Solution, Alpha Arbutin, Alpha Lipoic, Lactic Acid 5%, Buffet and the Salicylic Acid.  The only one I have not liked is the Vitamin C Suspension.  I probably bought all of the above for what one department store product cost.  I rotate them and them have worked beautifully.  Their Rose Hip Seed, AHA/BHA, Alpha Lipoic and Buffet are very good.  They are part of the Deciem group which has a somewhat pricer line of products.

Honored Contributor

@KCDiva wrote:

I use the 2% retinoid and the stronger 1% retinol. I can definitely tell a difference in my skin. I like the line and use several other products from them. 

Okay, this is confusing me because I thought retinol IS a retinoid. So how can the 1% be stronger than the 2%?? @KCDiva

Honored Contributor

It's 2% retinOID, not retinOL. Retinol is in there, combined with the retinoid Hydroxypinacolone Retinoate. So those two combined make up the 2%

Hydroxypinacolone Retinoate is brand a new vitamin a variant (like retinol) and looks to be very effective with low irritation compared to regular retinol. The retinol in this product is encapsulated to protect it from air. So a dropper is okay.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr