Trusted Contributor

Re: The Nude Lip.... among other things

On 1/11/2015 tototwo said:

Well, Lucky Charm and chrystaltree, I assure you I'm neither outraged or disturbed. Maybe slightly annoyed....? bothered...? I went thru the white and beige lip thing as a teenager in the 60's - it wasn't a good look then either. To me, a woman looks better with a little color -- not brown cheeks with lips that match her complexion. Especially if she's on TV.

Thanks all for your input. Glad to see that some of you kind of agree with me.

A nude lip isn't necessary white or beige. You just have to choose the right one for your coloring.

Illuminated skin. The Brightening Nude Collection from Bobbi Brown: perfect for this look. Especially when finished with Brightening Finishing Powder. Bobbi technique = fresh faced beauty!!JLo's bronze make-up look is so summery! Love the lashes.Keira Knightley Nude MakeupNatural Makeup Ideas for Everyday -- Pretty MakeupSmokey eyes and nude lips, a classic and favorite look. Perfect for Vegas?

Trusted Contributor

www.allure.com/makeup-looks/2014/best-nude-lipstick-for-your-skin-tone

Respected Contributor

On 1/11/2015 suzyQ3 said:

I do prefer a little color, nothing too garish. This is my usual daytime look:

Image result for pictures of mimi from drew carey show

Pure class, suzyQ! However, you might want to step out of your shell sometimes, be a little bolder!

Honored Contributor

On 1/11/2015 Ms X said:
On 1/11/2015 suzyQ3 said:

I do prefer a little color, nothing too garish. This is my usual daytime look:

Image result for pictures of mimi from drew carey show

Pure class, suzyQ! However, you might want to step out of your shell sometimes, be a little bolder!

I'm thinking maybe some sparkly Champagne highlighter for a nice tin man-ish glow.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I too lived through this in 8th and 9th grade...white lipstick! Omg my mom used to say i looked like a ghoul!! Of course that was in the early 70s and she was all over her petal pink lipstick! Too funny.
Honored Contributor

I've never been a fan of the true, flesh-toned nude lip; makes one look like a corpse IMHO.

Now together with other flesh-toned makeup, it makes one appear unhealthy IMHO.

That look really doesn't flatter anyone, least of all myself: very fair, deep/dark brows & hair, green eyes... a real snoozer, LOL.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/11/2015 Eliana said:

www.allure.com/makeup-looks/2014/best-nude-lipstick-for-your-skin-tone

Thanks for the link. I just forked out $50 for Tom Ford's Casablanca which many people are calling a nude. It's a darker mauvey color with a touch of brown. And I use Laura Mercier's Brown Sugar over top to lighten it a bit or I wear LM Brown Sugar by itself. The Allure article said Brown Sugar is a good nude color for dark skin colors but I consider mine to be a light/medium olive tone (and I have medium brown hair and hazel eyes). So go figure. And I guess I need to get my head examined for spending $50 on a lipstick but I sampled it earlier and it is very long lasting and moisturizing on my lips. After reading a lot of reviews on Tom Ford's lipsticks in general, I just had to buy one. Many people are giving Tom Ford's Pink Dusk rave reviews as a pink toned neutral. So that may be my next purchase.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Respected Contributor

I have toned down my eye makeup as I age. I go for bronze eyeliner and a more neutral eyeshadow palette. I have also changed the color of he blush I wear, opting to use a cream stick rather that powder. That said, they will have to pry my Angel Red and Cider Berry lipstick out of my cold dead hands. I look washed out and sick without some color on my lips. I also wear bright pinks and corals if I find one that has the right undertone.

Trusted Contributor

I have a medium-dark blond hair, very, very pale skin, blue eyes. I usually wear brown or gray eyeliner, only on the top, and mascara on top only, sometimes a pinky-beige eye shadow. Some days I wear Revlon Lip Butter in Pink Truffle, almost always with a swipe of Neosporin Lip Health Daily Hydration over the top. I love that over top of any lipstick I wear, and frequently that is all I wear on my lips. It kind of lightens the color of my lipstick a little. I actually love the look of my own lip color with just the Neosporin on top.

Neosporin Lip Health, Daily Hydration Therapy SPF 20 .35 oz (10 g) 1 of 1

Honored Contributor

On 1/11/2015 Witchy Woman said:

I have never done the nude tone anything, but it has been around for a long time and I don't see it going away.

With medium olive skin, if I don't add color to my cheeks and lips I look sick.

Never been a fan of nude/brown, but some women seem to be able to pull it off. I remember someone saying when you wore red lipstick, all people saw was your mouth, but I actually like a nice, fresh red lip.

Thankfully, we all have choices and can wear what we think looks best on us.

I'm a fan of coral/pink cheeks and matching lips, or a nice bronzey face and red lips.

Me, too.

And there are various daytime looks for red lipstick: from sheer to creamy to pearl to matte.

So what if one wishes to put more emphasis on their lips? No biggie. Then they'll just keep their eye makeup more neutral, and their cheeks nice & rosy.

Beauty pros have said that you'll know if a particular shade of red flatters you: by applying it when you have a fresh face/no makeup on.

If it's a keeper, it will perk up your eyes and cheeks. 8)

As I wear darker eyeglass frames now, I'll first try my red(s) the "nekkid way", then afterwards with my dark brows enhanced and my very-pale cheeks rosied.

Hopefully, between the stronger brows, eyeglass frames, flushed cheeks, and red lips, I'll look more alive and youthful, LOL.