Esteemed Contributor

The Nude Lip.... among other things

Just coming here to complain....

I see a lot - maybe up to half - of the ladies of TV (this includes talk show hosts and guests, newscasters, etc) wearing the "nude" lip. But it's not just the colorless lip, it's also brown contoured faces - again "colorless" IMO. It's bugging the heck out of me. These ladies don't look like they have makeup on -- they all look like they have the flu and should be home in bed instead of on TV. I know this colorless look is trendy, but I don't like it. I've been turning the channel to find ladies who have color on their cheeks and real lipstick - ladies who look healthy.

I continue to wear pinks and corals on my lips and cheeks because, honestly, I look better with color. It's all personal taste.

What do you ladies prefer? Color or nude? Is the nude look here to stay?

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

Re: The Nude Lip.... among other things

There would be no point in wearing nudes. I have an olive complexion and love and need color! Fuchsia, cool reds, pretty pinks (no mauve or dusty). And I prefer it that way.

Wendy Williams uses the nude look a lot, but on the rare occasion that she has a lip color on, she looks amazing.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Esteemed Contributor

I have never done the nude tone anything, but it has been around for a long time and I don't see it going away.

With medium olive skin, if I don't add color to my cheeks and lips I look sick.

Never been a fan of nude/brown, but some women seem to be able to pull it off. I remember someone saying when you wore red lipstick, all people saw was your mouth, but I actually like a nice, fresh red lip.

Thankfully, we all have choices and can wear what we think looks best on us.

I'm a fan of coral/pink cheeks and matching lips, or a nice bronzey face and red lips.

Respected Contributor

I'm also someone who looks better with a bright lip color. I have lightish skin and dark brown hair, so I need strong jewel colors in my clothes and makeup. My newest favorite is Tarte's Enchanted (rose) lip crayon.

Super Contributor

I LOVE a nude lip with a dramatic eye. Unfortunately, b/c my teeth aren't super-white, the nude lip looks awful. I'm now in the process of whitening them and I hope to be able to take part in the nude lip look. Not like I have NO lips, just a lighter shade that lets my eyes do the proverbial talking!!

Honored Contributor

Lived through this look when I was in HS........
Honored Contributor

I can't tell you how many "nude lip" lipsticks I've tried, hoping to find one that looks good, and I still haven't found it. I look better with some color.

Contributor

Personally, I can't stand the nude lip, especially when it blends in with the color of the face. Creepy looking.

Regular Contributor

Now that I've reached "middle aged" I've learned that trends are best for the young. My teenage daughters can wear virtually anything-clothes or makeup and look adorable. But for me, I just admire from afar- I've learned what looks good on me, what's makes me look younger, and I stick with it for the most part. I like a "nude" lipstick so far as it looks like my natural lipcolor (I'm Sicilian so my lips have a darker hue naturally) but I've never cared for the white or skintone nude lip. Just me. Lipstick queen's Saint Nude is the only one I've worn with success.

Respected Contributor

I've heard if the eyes are made-up, then go with a neutral lip color. If you wear bright lipstick or red lipstick, then don't make-up the eyes much.

If you have made-up eyes and red lipstick, a clown look will appear.