Respected Contributor

The Nick Chavez Ethnic Hair Thread.

[ Edited ]

It came to my attention that some of Nick's products aren't shown on woman with ethnic hair. Not blaming this on Nick, as I doubt he gets to choose which products to show and which models to use his products on. But there are indeed Nick Chavez products for women with ethnic hair.

With that said, I'm going to post which products might work the best for ladies with hair like that. For now, I'll only list the products that I use. But any other women who have very thick, coarse and/or dry hair who use Nick's products, please come and post in hear and share your experience. All ladies are welcome, of course. Smiley Happy

~Note~: I can't promise that these will definitely work for this hair type. Only going by what worked for me.

Nick Chavez Traditions Yucca Root Shampoo and Conditioner.

This is NOT for the lady who wants volume or lots of shine. Nick has other products for that. This for the lady who just wants their hair to get clean and have a nice, natural look to it. It doesn't have a strong, heavy perfumed smell, so that shouldn't be a problem. The conditioner is to be put on the ends of the hair and not the scalp. Nick says you don't need a lot, but that might depend on the length of your hair and how thick it is. He also says that you don't need a lot of shampoo, but again, that depends on the length on your hair. My hair felt very clean and refreshed after using this.

---

Nick Chavez Velvet Mesquite Serum.

This is a very, very good product for those who want shine, softness and moisture to the hair. It can go on wet or dry hair. It doesn't have a heavy smell, either. Just fresh and clean. The bottle says to use 3 drops for thick coarse hair, but again, it's best to decide what works best for you. It leaves no residue on the hands, either. The only setback with this product is the bottle itself. You can't tell how much you've used or how much is left, as you can't see through the bottle. Other than that, it's a very good product and is good for ladies who have very dry hair.

UPDATE: I've found a way to figure out how much Velvet Mesquite Serum is left in the bottle. Either hold the bottle up to the light or hold a flash light behind the bottle. This will show how much Velvet Mesquite is left.

---

Nick Chavez Velvet Mesquite Hydrating Styling Gel.

This product is beyond wonderful because it's not like any other styling gel I've used. The most important thing that this gel did for my hair was it DID NOT make it dry or crunchy or leave those flakes that come from using too much styling gel. It has a fresh, clean smell (not girly), so men will like this as well. And yes, it's very god for styling the hair and doesn't dry it out. I used this on my hair after it was towel-dried, but still damp. It's very good for locking in moisture to the hair. The gel is a misty green color, comes in a squeeze bottle and comes with two caps. One for squeezing the gel out and another travel cap to keep the bottle from accidentally opening and spilling.

---

Nick Chavez Traditions Raindrops.

This is a product that goes on your hair right after you've washed and conditioned your hair. So this product is considered a leave-in. It comes in a spray bottle and it has no smell at all. This product is said to neutralize the effects of hard water on the hair. I used it on my hair and my hair felt very soft.

That's all for now. Feel free to add any other Nick Chavez products that work well for your hair type. Smiley Happy

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Respected Contributor

Re: The Nick Chavez Ethnic Hair Thread.

For those who are interested, Nick Chavez will be on Tuesday for Tuesday Nite Beauty at 9:00 p.m.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Contributor

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I feel like you were reading my mind about his products and if they work for ethnic hair.
Esteemed Contributor

NC, does Nick Chavez offer any anti-frizz serums in his lines? I currently use Frizz Ease, but I like to have a back up.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Trusted Contributor

On 9/15/2014 NC Bandwagon said:

It came to my attention that some of Nick's products aren't shown on woman with ethnic hair. Not blaming this on Nick, as I doubt he gets to choose which products to show and which models to use his products on. But there are indeed Nick Chavez products for women with ethnic hair.

I believe the vendors do choose the models. At least for wen shows the models chosen are used for wen shows only....wen models aren't used for other hair care vendors....such as NC, Alterna, Calista...etc.

live....laugh....love
Respected Contributor

I was one of those who asked the question about Nick's products and ethnic hair. My only point was that I find him very personable and entertaining but the emphasis during the presentations that I have seen is on volume and thickening as opposed to moisture, control and curl definition that many of us need. Generally Q beauty vendors do a good job of showing their products on a broad diversity of women (age, ethnicity etc) so it stands out to me that I haven't seen how he styles ethnic women. And because Nick himself is a person of color, I find it even more perplexing that he doesn't show more of a broad base.

His products are clearly loved by many. I'm happy for those who get great results. But most of us with ethnic hair have spent lots of money on products that could not bring out the best in our locks. I'd love to see him work with more hair types.

Honored Contributor

Now I am wondering if there has ever been a woman of color with Nick? I wish he would show how his products work on various hair types, and ethnicities!!!!!{#emotions_dlg.blushing}

Esteemed Contributor

JM, something so small can make a huge difference for a vendor!

Wen shows an ethnic rainbow in the commercials and literature; it really works on every hair type. I wish John Frieda showed some Black models; I would have pounced on his Frizz Ease years ago.

NC, does Nick carry any heavy duty frizz serums in his lines?

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Super Contributor

Hi ladies! I can tell you that Nick has used women of color as models on QVC. Iris is one of the models that has worked with him in the past. When he published his book for QVC about 13 or so years ago, he used at least 1 or 2 African-American models in this book. I don't know how the models are selected or if he selects them or not.

Honny, Nick's new Velvet Mesquite Serum definitely eliminates frizz. It's also supposed to thicken as well hydrate the hair. He uses it on all his customers at his salon -- he uses a pea-sized drop before putting any other product on the hair and drying it.

Hope everyone is having a good day!

Janice

Honored Contributor

Thanks Jangroomer. I was just trying to think, because I have watched QVC for many years and I thought he may have used different models at one time, but good to know. I love his hairspray with the Argan oil-great hairspray. Hopefully he will be more often and with different models and hair-types and ethnicities!