Respected Contributor

Re: The Makeover Guy on YouTube

I just watched a few new ones , they are short  , sometimes a little too short , if you want to know how they got the look you might be disapointed. He has had quite the career.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

hmm they all get the same haircut

all stacked cuts ick .  says old to me 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jackthebear  if you've followed him and watch enough of his video's, you would see that he doesn't do the same cut. In fact, some of his cuts are just....amazing.  You also don't know what the client has said to him about what SHE wants cut wise. Like someone else said, many stylists can't do anything but follow the book when cutting so if the person is flying across the country to him, it may be because where she lives,  talent is in short supply/doesn't exist.

I have a friend who flew from Northen VA to Minniapolis so she could get the full make-over. I was living about 45 minutes away in Rochester so I made arrangements to join her. She chose not to be filmed (you have the option) and it was an all day event. She had turned 49 and wanted to go into her 50's "in a fabulous way". She had very long, thick, gorgeous hair that she wore either in a ponytail or a bun; she didn't know what else to do with it. Minimal makeup because she always got the hard sell when attending an event at a department store counter. 

The final result was she went from simple and tasteful to elegantly polished. Subtle yet you couldn't miss how amazing she looked. Her, but a better her. The hair was a HUGE help. Long, straight hair cut to below the shoulders, with a side part, layered and with a color change. OMG. She was shown different ways to wear it as well. Her makeup was gorgeous. The RIGHT colors applied correctly.  His mom is fantastic. She changed what pieces she wore, how she wore them.... I mean the booklet she has is worth the trip, lol.

I'm not sure when, but I know I WILL fly out as well. He's brilliant. The whole package is a fantastic idea. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam 

What a wonderful experience for your friend.  I agree with all you said.

I'm in Southern Maryland, but "Northern Virginia" is just around the corner from me Cat Very Happy

Both areas are considered commuting distance to DC.

I'm really stuck on what to do about my hair going forward.  I'm 69 and, honestly, I'm just tired of dealing with it sometimes.

In my youth, it was "wash and wear" in a beautifully, curly shag.  Now, it is a struggle to have decent hair without washing/setting every 2-3 days.

I'm retired, and have the time, but I keep thinking there has to be something better!

Wish I could find someone locally as good as this man!

Respected Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

He does some remarkable work but when he misses the mark, he really misses it. 

I always thought the makeovers on Ambush Makeover on the Today Show were awesome. That would be my choice if I were going to do one of those. You can check them out on YouTube for ideas. 

I think a lot of his hairstyles are dated. I also like Ambush Makeover!

Respected Contributor

I also have his book but I don't agree that after 40 you should only wear brown eyeshadow. That is so boring to me. I also didn't know he had his own makeup line.