Regular Contributor

The IT Lady & Eyeliner - Can't See That, LOL!

I just turned to QVC and the IT cosmetics lady and Jane Tracey are selling eyeliner.  They're talking about how much older women need eyeliner and are making a good case.

Last year, I started filling in my now sparse brows, wearing a little mascara, and sometimes tinted moisturizer, after decades of wearing only lipstick.  I wanted to try a little eyeliner again.  So, I went to Sephora, asked around, bought some and took it home anxious to try it. 

I  knew I needed to practice a little (had not used any in YEARS) so I gave it a try one Saturday much like this one when I wasn't stressed or doing anything.

Well, big fail.  Why?  I can't see well enough to put on eyeliner without my glasses!  Frankly I was surprised, even shocked at this.  I've worn glasses since I was 10 or 11, a few years before I ever used any makeup.  It has long been a little blurrry, but it went from a little blurry 25-30 years ago, to big blob now. 

Oh well! 

Regular Contributor

Re: The IT Lady & Eyeliner - Can't See That, LOL!

I'm in the same boat as you!  I do use a magnifying mirror and it helps me see where I am going with the liner.  You may want to try a mirror. 

Honored Contributor

I have to use a 10X magnifying mirror (I bought it here many years ago) to put mascara on my sparse, light eyelashes.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I also use a 10X magnifying mirror for make-up.  Don't know if a lighted mirror would help more.

Valued Contributor

don't feel bad - I started at a 10x mirror and now use a 20!   Works great!

Respected Contributor

If you can't see well enough to make it perfect, then smudge it so it looks like a softened line.  

I rarely put eyeliner on my top lash anymore.  I line the upper waterline every single day, though.  It add definition to my lash line that I love.  When I'm feeling like doing the eyelid, even though I can see just fine, I always soften it up so it doesn't look too harsh.  I think many people's eyeliner looks very harsh and isn't flattering.

Honored Contributor

@Maloyo wrote:

I just turned to QVC and the IT cosmetics lady and Jane Tracey are selling eyeliner.  They're talking about how much older women need eyeliner and are making a good case.

Last year, I started filling in my now sparse brows, wearing a little mascara, and sometimes tinted moisturizer, after decades of wearing only lipstick.  I wanted to try a little eyeliner again.  So, I went to Sephora, asked around, bought some and took it home anxious to try it. 

I  knew I needed to practice a little (had not used any in YEARS) so I gave it a try one Saturday much like this one when I wasn't stressed or doing anything.

Well, big fail.  Why?  I can't see well enough to put on eyeliner without my glasses!  Frankly I was surprised, even shocked at this.  I've worn glasses since I was 10 or 11, a few years before I ever used any makeup.  It has long been a little blurrry, but it went from a little blurry 25-30 years ago, to big blob now. 

Oh well! 

@Maloyo  I got one of those magnifying mirrors that you attach to your bathroom mirror and it has the accordion type arm on it.  I can't recall what you call it, but it works great.  I push it back when I am finished with it.  That's not the right name. It's retractable.  Not accordion but anyway it works.

Respected Contributor

Would never think of putting on any makeup without a magnifying mirror. They are certainly handy for those of us who don't see as well as we once did.

Esteemed Contributor

Another recommendation for a magnifying mirror -- I've had a wall-mounted, lighted 20X magnifying mirror for 25 years.   Great for eyeliner plus plucking hairs, getting smooth perfection in foundation, mascara, lipstick, etc.   Also have a couple 20X small mirrors that go with me when we travel.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

I don't like liner on me as I've gotten older.  To me it's much more "youthful" to be youthful, and not wear much makeup.

Cogito ergo sum