Frequent Contributor

The Dreaded Crepey Skin

[ Edited ]

I have thin skin and my arms and top of hands have begun to look crepey. Is there anything that will help this at all? I tried body butters and lotions but nothing is working! Its embarrassing. I wonder why many who are older than me do not have this?

Trusted Contributor

I have the sam problem, I haven't found anything that works, so i wear 3/4 sleeves and long pants or maxi skirts now. I also wonder why some don't get it.....?? Hope someone here knows. I also tried dry brushing, i miss wearing my knee length denim skirts.

Esteemed Contributor

I really don't know of anything that really fixes it or makes it disappear completely. I've had good luck with using a sugar scrub (josie Maran) and either th body butter (Josie maran or the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream. My situaion has improved so I'm happy with my results. I think the key is to exfoliate that skin so the butters and creams and get in there to really work on it. IMO. 

Honored Contributor

Most, but not all, crepey skin is the result of the loss of collagen caused by the sun. This combined with age, loss of moisture and decreasing amounts of skin fat (usually from menopause) will produce crepey skin. Weigh loss will also cause it. 

Using acids, for instance glycolic or lactic acids, will help exfoliate and in turn cause the skin's cellular turnover to reveal younger cells. This cellular turnover slows down with age. Using an acid will induce cellular turnover and bring out smoother skin over time.

Respected Contributor

I lost 20lbs this year and as a result I notice a little crepiness going on here and there that I never had before.  Mainly in the crook of my arms (inside elbow crease).  I started applying Korres Pure Greek Olive Oil Face and Body Elixir about a week ago to the problem area and it is looking improved.  MInd you my problem was not severe.  Anyway that's my two cents and good luck with it.  QVC sells Crepe Erase, maybe check the reviews on that one.  I never tried it.

Honored Contributor

It's often hereditary. And lots of people have it. You just haven't happened to see everyone in the awkward poses and outfits and lighting conditions that show it. But you see yourself under all those conditions.

Exercise, supplements like collagen peptides and ceramides, dry brushing, a good body cream with peptides in it (could even try retinol!), sunscreen, and keeping my weight down are helping me fight it. You can't just do one thing and have it work. It has to be a multi-targeted approach.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

I'm not sure there's anything that will fix it. I have a lot of sun damage and creapyness on arms and legs. I'm fair skinned and got a lot of sunburns when I was young. Areas of my body that wasn't exposed to sun doesn't have the crepyness. My face and chest area look really good for a 64 year old. I have some sun spots but no creapyness and fairly few wrinkles on face and chest. I am 64 though.... So I do have wrinkles, just not that many. I go barefaced 99% of the time. A lady at the hospital ask me the other day if I used something special on my face.

I have used a product since 2008 called ELS, short for Every Lipid Serum. I credit it and 2 other items from SAS for keeping my face neck and chest looking good all these years. Have recently began using it on my arms and legs, so it's too soon to tell, but I sure love the way my skin is beginning to feel. Skin Actives Scientific (SAS)

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~
Honored Contributor

Re: The Dreaded Crepey Skin

[ Edited ]

Dehydrated skin is a big cause of crepey skin. Preventing water loss from the skin by using a good moisturizer will help. Phytoceramide supplements will enhance hydration by providing an extra layer of ceramides in the skin to help retain moisture there, giving the skin plumpness and firmness...less wrinkled.

Microneedling and/or laser resurfacing are other options that will reduce crepey skin. These are designed to induce collagen which will make the skin smoother.

Honored Contributor

It really isn't easy getting older, as women we start to fall apart, not all ,but a lot of us.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Re: The Dreaded Crepey Skin

[ Edited ]

I don't know how old you are .... but I just turned 77.  I'm perfectly satisfied with the "state of my skin."

Avon's Moisture Therapy skin cream is great for hands and arms.  Also - massage into base of fingernails does wonders.

Also - I use Kiss My Face Olive Oil soap ... dramatic improvement over any other soap.  I've been using KMF for about a year now.

------------------

ETA:  I should add, I exfoliate upper body every day with the Kiss My Face soap - using bath glove.  Once a week rest of body.