Trusted Contributor

Re: The Debate on Vaccines - on PBS, Wednesday night (tomorrow) 9/10 8 PM

This show sounds like it will be interesting, thanks for the heads up!
Super Contributor

What I don't want is to have epidemics of childhood diseases that have been under control for a long time because some people think others should have their children vaccinated but not them. That's completely selfish and irresponsible.

Super Contributor

One thing that I find interesting is that while people who have come from countries where alot of these diseases are still seen, get their children vaccinated here. At the same time,those here who have no idea how very dangerous these diseases are as they've never seen them , think that they know better. Here's the thing. Science can prove that these vaccines are working as you can look at our past and see what went on and now look at the present day and see how these diseases have been eradicated. So who really are the smarter income group? You may have a higher income but diseases don't recognize a rich person.

Honored Contributor

On 9/10/2014 momcat said:

What I don't want to be exposed to is PBS propaganda.

WHAT, PBS has an agenda? I'm shocked!!! Wink

Honored Contributor

On 9/10/2014 reese2 said:

What I don't want is to have epidemics of childhood diseases that have been under control for a long time because some people think others should have their children vaccinated but not them. That's completely selfish and irresponsible.

None of these diseases are technically limited to children. But they got called childhood diseases because kids got them and then got lifelong immunity so we didn't have issues with adults getting the disease except in rare cases where that person didn't get it as a child. Unlike today. The ""epidemic"" of college measles for example was a direct result of vaccinations that wore off. I hope you're just as worried about adults staying up to date on their boosters as you are parents vaccinating their children. I posted a link to the list in this thread so everyone can double check and make sure they themselves are up to date on their shots.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

On 9/10/2014 momcat said:

What I don't want to be exposed to is PBS propaganda.

Wait, let me guess. It's that darn word "public" that betrays their real agenda. Rabble-rousers for sure. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

I bet you also wince at my sig lines. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

On 9/10/2014 Jackielee said:

One thing that I find interesting is that while people who have come from countries where alot of these diseases are still seen, get their children vaccinated here. At the same time,those here who have no idea how very dangerous these diseases are as they've never seen them , think that they know better. Here's the thing. Science can prove that these vaccines are working as you can look at our past and see what went on and now look at the present day and see how these diseases have been eradicated. So who really are the smarter income group? You may have a higher income but diseases don't recognize a rich person.

It's funny that you mention this. In my previous reply to you, I was going to mention something about intelligence and/or education -- in other words, the quality of being "smart." But I chickened out, because I knew it would be miscontrued.

So thank you, Jackielee, for being braver than I. Smile It's people like you and so many others too numerous to mention that keep me a little bit hopeful.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Ladies, I'm not going to join in this conversation, as I know where it will go, but I will say this.

You won't get a good, civil discussion when comments that consist of, "science-denier(sp?), voodoo witch doctor, savages, back to the dark ages, all vaccines are bad, go all natural or go home" are made. It'll just be petty, back-and-forth name calling and no one will learn anything. If people actually respect others views and opinions, QVC mods won't have to delete this thread.

Just my opinion based on seeing these kinds of threads in the past.

*puts up a shield and braces for flames*

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Trusted Contributor

FYI -- I got an e-mail about this show today that noted that it may not begin until around 9:20 due to the President's address. If you're recording it, be aware.

Super Contributor

On 9/9/2014 suzyQ3 said:

Dr. Sears, one of the participants, has told his target audience that it's okay if they opt out because their children will be protected due to the fact that the majority DO have their children vaccinated.

If that isn't a mixed message, I don't know what is, to say nothing of the questionable ethics and logic of such a statement.

I really fear for the future of public health in this country.

I am so surprised at this statement. What does he and others believe kept my generation and others safe throughout our generation ???? Now the newer generation is deciding to skip these vaccines and what is happening? Their children are getting these diseases all over again. Because the diseases themselves AREN'T WIPED OUT, they are present like they always been. It's just that the vaccines prevented everyone from catching them. Now the younger kids are breaking out with them again. My dear aunt contracted polio as a teen, and I watched her live with it as it ruined her life. It was awful as she grew into an adult. As a result, I have volunteered for the March of Dimes and have worked on the board and done as much as I can for decades. We can't let ignorant parents do this to their children, or we will be pulling out the old iron lungs again. My God , can't believe how stupid people can be about these vaccines, and now evidently doctor's as well. More's the pity.