Honored Contributor

The Best Thing you can do for your LIPS!

[ Edited ]

I wish this would have been around 50 years ago.  I have a product by FRESH and also e.l.f. that exfoliates lips.  If you do this once or twice a week, you will have the softest lips.  After you do exfoliate apply a lip balm to moisturize.  The product does not have to be expensive, in fact, go to Target online and search lip exfoliators.  This is one of the best things you can do for your lips.  Anyone else exfoliate their lips?   Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Best Thing you can do for your LIPS!

@Katcat1, I do it quite often in the winter when my lips need a little help.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 I got the e.l.f. lip exfoliator as a free gift with purchase last year and it's pretty good.  My lips stay mostly chap free with daily doses of Smith's Rosebud Salve, but exfoliation is an addition to lip care I agree with.. 

Honored Contributor

I’ve been doing this for years, especially in the colder months.  

However, I make my own; so very simple and inexpensive.  I like raw sugar and sweet almond oil the best.  But sometimes I add a drop of an essential oil (like peppermint oil).  Sometimes coconut oil and the sugar with a little kiwi.  There are hundreds of choices for a quick lip exfoliant. 

Honored Contributor

Maybe because I'm a fanatic about always using lip gloss/balm but I've always had very soft lips. I don't need exfoliate them and really wonder if anyone actually needs to exfoliate? I just have never had a problem with my lips so I can't see using a scrub.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Maybe because I'm a fanatic about always using lip gloss/balm but I've always had very soft lips. I don't need exfoliate them and really wonder if anyone actually needs to exfoliate? I just have never had a problem with my lips so I can't see using a scrub.

@ID2  I can only speak for myself, but I used to use a lot of lip balms also.  But that's precisely why I started lip exfoliating.  I have no need for a lip balm any longer.  I just use my lipsticks and lip glosses for color/cosmetics purposes.  My weekly exfoliating took the place of needing frequent applications of lip balm.  My lips are amazingly smooth now everyday.

Honored Contributor

I tried the elf product, but did not like it,my lips get dry in winter,i changed toothpaste also ,no sls toothpaste,but  make my own like some one else said.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Regular Contributor

Around the holidays I got the 3 piece Lanolips set. The lemonade treatment has citrus for exfoliating. I use this every night and the dead skin comes right off the next morning. It really has improved the dry skin on my lips!! The balm is nice too!!

Esteemed Contributor

I heard Linda Marshall from Elysee say adamantly that one should not exfoliate the lips! Not sure I agree with that. But superfine sugar is all you need, if you need to.

Honored Contributor

Best thing?

Nothing!

Year-round chapped lips seem to be a thing in this day/age.

I’m suspecting the SAD diet & medication as a result of eating/drinking

this way. is affecting hydration within our bodies, thus causing

chapped lips, dry eyes, etc.

Either that or manufacturers are using inferior elements within

their products causing lip irritation...then we exfoliate, then we 

apply more lip product, then exfoliate, etc etc.  

Neverending circle.

I never have chapped lips...unless I use a new toothpaste,

which I can tell immediately...and I toss. I’m in the process of 

trying to make my own toothpaste.  

But exfoliate? Nope...it’s your body trying to tell you something.