Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Best Thing you can do for your LIPS!

I agree totally with @ID2 and could've written her post.  No lip exfoliation for me.  Moisturizing lipstick and balms keep my lips soft and smooth.  I haven't had a problem with chapped lips since I was a kid.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I wish this would have been around 50 years ago.  I have a product by FRESH and also e.l.f. that exfoliates lips.  If you do this once or twice a week, you will have the softest lips.  After you do exfoliate apply a lip balm to moisturize.  The product does not have to be expensive, in fact, go to Target online and search lip exfoliators.  This is one of the best things you can do for your lips.  Anyone else exfoliate their lips?   Cat Very Happy

@Katcat1  I agree. I make my own scrub w/ raw sugar & coconut oil...keep in frig. so it stays solid. I used to exfoliate lips at night, but now do a quick application a few times in the morning. It made sense since that’s when I applied my lip color & it gave me a smoothe, already moisturized surface.

*** Using a straw when drinking worsens lines around the mouth. 

Honored Contributor

If products used on the lips contain petroleum....like Vaseline, chapped lips become worse. There’s a vicious cycle of dried out lips from these products, like Chapstick,  being constantly reapplied. They don’t moisturize, they create a barrier...2 very different things.

Esteemed Contributor

I put lip balm on before I go to bed.  In the morning, I rub a wet washcloth over my lips after I'm done washing my face to get off any dead skin.  Works fine.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Respected Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

I put lip balm on before I go to bed.  In the morning, I rub a wet washcloth over my lips after I'm done washing my face to get off any dead skin.  Works fine.

I do the same thing! I also use the mild scrub that I use on my face to rub gently over my lips...only once every week or two and NEVER any hard scrubbing. I do use gloss during the day/balm at night...my lips are always soft.

Respected Contributor

I wear lipstick or lipgloss when going out always wear lip balm when home. There is no way I would even consider scrubbing my lips.....talk about harsh. My lips are always soft and not chapped. 

Honored Contributor

Some people subconsciously bite their lips, both awake and asleep.  Do that on top of dry skin and you have a real mess.  You have to get that dead shredded skin off with something.  Blessed are the fortunate that don't deal with this. 

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I wish this would have been around 50 years ago.  I have a product by FRESH and also e.l.f. that exfoliates lips.  If you do this once or twice a week, you will have the softest lips.  After you do exfoliate apply a lip balm to moisturize.  The product does not have to be expensive, in fact, go to Target online and search lip exfoliators.  This is one of the best things you can do for your lips.  Anyone else exfoliate their lips?   Cat Very Happy

@Katcat1  How do you exfoliate your lips?  I received a sample of Bite lip exfoliator, and I had no idea how to use it. Do you wash apply face wash to your face, and than lip exfoliator, than wash them off together?  Or is there some other way?

Honored Contributor

I think that exfoliating the lips can mess with the skin's mantle and just create a vicious cycle. I use Cerave lip balm, and that's it. It does have petrolatum in it, which I think is excellent for this area.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

I heard Linda Marshall from Elysee say adamantly that one should not exfoliate the lips! Not sure I agree with that. But superfine sugar is all you need, if you need to.

@HarpaLinda's pretty much 'anti-exfoliating' in general !! She really gets on a soapbox re: the topic of exfoliating. Yet Elysee has a facial scrub!! Woman LOL