Trusted Contributor

In your very valued opinions,

What is your favorite oil-free or oil absorbing makeup/face primer?

Thank you!

Valued Contributor

Re: The Best Oil-Free Primer

I love Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer.

Esteemed Contributor

Most primers are going to have silicone or some other slip agent in them.  Without researching, the only one I can think of off the top of my head sans oil is Smashbox Photo-Finish Light.  It's a good primer and you may want to add it to your list of oil-free primers to check out.  

Honored Contributor

Korres has a nice Pomegranate mattifying primer.

Respected Contributor

I love the new Makeup Forever primers, and there are many of them, and they all are used for different things. I have the mat tidying one and it's great. Recently I bought the Nivea men's post shave balm in the sensitive formula after hearing about it on the Utube, and I really like it. It's very inexpensive of course, but I'm loving it. It is sort of tacky after application which gives your makeup something to grab on to. Good luck in your search 

Honored Contributor

@Trix wrote:

Most primers are going to have silicone or some other slip agent in them.  Without researching, the only one I can think of off the top of my head sans oil is Smashbox Photo-Finish Light.  It's a good primer and you may want to add it to your list of oil-free primers to check out.  

Yes, and that's because silicone creates that smooth finish as a base for foundation. Silicone is not oil.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Trix wrote:

Yes, and that's because silicone creates that smooth finish as a base for foundation. Silicone is not oil.

I know that silicone is not an oil. I mentioned it specifially because some poeple who do not like the feel of a "true" oil often do not like primers because of the slick feeling of the silicone. That said there are a few silicone-free primers around.  Tarte's Clean Slate used to be silicone free, but they've changed so many of their products it may now contain silicone.  

Frequent Contributor

I love The present by Philosophy. It is a thicker primer but I do feel like the makeup never touches my skin.

Respected Contributor

I would suggest taking a look at Beautypedia.  She has a lot of ideas.

Respected Contributor

@wvumountiefan wrote:

I love the new Makeup Forever primers, and there are many of them, and they all are used for different things. I have the mat tidying one and it's great. Recently I bought the Nivea men's post shave balm in the sensitive formula after hearing about it on the Utube, and I really like it. It's very inexpensive of course, but I'm loving it. It is sort of tacky after application which gives your makeup something to grab on to. Good luck in your search 

Super thanks for the TIP on the NIEVA MEN'S POST SHAVE BALM.  I watched some Youtube videos on it and believe it will be great for my oily skin where more primers just slide off.  Plus, a BIG plus, is that it is cheap!