Regular Contributor

Re: Thank you, whomever suggested cutting open the tube!

On 1/4/2015 tototwo said:

I do that and started a thread at some point -- but I place the opened tube in a ziplock baggie to keep the product fresh. I never considered scooping it into a small jar. That's a fabulous idea! Thank you! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Tototwo......the ziplock Baggie was my first thought, but after just putting the cut tube in the Baggie once I had product on the inside of the bag. I was pretty sure it would drive me crazy in just a day or two. I have Tupperware smidgets that hold about two tablespoons, and one of these worked perfectly for the job!
Respected Contributor

After I squeeze all the remaining product towards the opening, I cut the tube about an inch above the opening and replace the top of the tube over it overlapping 1/2 to 1" and it acts as a cover. Then when I need some I remove the overlapping top, spoon some out and replace the top.
Super Contributor

Fabulous ideas and ways to save $! Really frustrates me how much is wasted with many things. Thank you all!
Honored Contributor

In the same vein - if anyone uses Hydroshield in the large silver bottle - when you think it's empty, take a pair of pliers and pull off the pump. There's still well more than a week's worth of serum in there. Just don't toss the cap when you first open the bottle and you have a way to keep everything clean after you dump a bit of serum into your palm.

Frequent Contributor

I seriously think this is why you can't see through most tubes! Then you would know how much product is being wasted. I also cut open tubes at the end. I am going to try Beauty Addiction"s advice, to use the end as a cover. What a great idea!!

Super Contributor

I do this all the time! Lots of product still to use!
Trusted Contributor

I also cut open conditioner bottles

I use a sharp kitchen knife & saw it back & forth until I am thru....surprised how much is left in there

Super Contributor

Thanks for posting. I knew it could be done but had forgot about it. I think I'm often in a hurry and when the tube seems empty I toss it. But reading how much product can be wasted I'm definitely going to start doing this.

Super Contributor

I did that with my tube of Alpha Hydrox Souffle. Looked like most of the product was gone, but after I cut it open, I got another 3 weeks or so of the product. I would have NEVER thought there was that much left! It's harder to cut open the bottles of hand cream. I have really struggled over some that have very thick tubes.

Trusted Contributor

Excellent suggestion, ladies! Thank you!

I saved a 'foamer' hand soap bottle, from a brand I wasn't too fond of. I poured between 1/4 and 1/3 of my favorite hand soap in, and topped it off with water. Those foam soaps aren't as thick as regular soap. It still cleans my hands well, and still has the wonderful scent. The plus was, I discovered my hands weren't near as dry as they had been before! This time of year, my hands can become very dry. Just a suggestion if anyone else has issues with dry hands. My dermatologist even noticed the improvement in my hands. She said she was going to share the idea with her eczema patients.