Regular Contributor

Thank you, whomever suggested cutting open the tube!

I know quite a while back....maybe last spring/early summer....there was a discussion about using a product down to the last drop. At the time I had just tossed a tube of Laura Mercier Radiance Primer thinking it was empty. Someone on here said they cut tubes of product open before tossing them to get the last little bit. Fast forward to last week when my latest tube was empty, I thought. I did everything to get the last little bit out and thought I did pretty well. I decided to try cutting open the tube, and boy am I glad I did!! Using a small makeup spatula I was able to clean enough product off the inside of the tube to last probably two weeks or more. I put it into a tiny Tupperware container and have been using it for over a week already! I couldn't find the original post, but if it was you, THANKS! If it wasn't you, you may want to try this tip next time you think a tube is empty!
Frequent Contributor

Re: Thank you, whomever suggested cutting open the tube!

OMG, what a great idea. I have a Tarte tube that I think has more foundation in it but won't squeeze. Going to cut it open. Thanks for the hint.

Think I'll even try it with toothpaste. I use Pronamel and it is $$$$ higher than some.

Valued Contributor

OK then, in this same vein - has anyone yet figured out a way to open Dimitri's DermaLift product jars?

With the DWP series, those jars will twist open to allow you to get at the remaining product, but I can't see how to open the DermaLift creams or the new neck serum, all of which operate with a pump.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated - I hate wasting stuff I've paid good money for!

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien
Valued Contributor

I remember that post because I do that too. With my Korres body butters mostly. But it is surprising how much you can get out of what looks to be an empty tube!

Respected Contributor

It's amazing how much can be left, often days or a week of product.

Super Contributor

Wow! I've been doing this since I was a teenager and thought that everyone did it. Glad to see new people learned a very old trick!

Super Contributor

I purchased a tiny little spatula from the container store that will fit into lip gloss container and one that will fit into a foundation bottle it helps with getting out the very last drop.
Esteemed Contributor

I do that and started a thread at some point -- but I place the opened tube in a ziplock baggie to keep the product fresh. I never considered scooping it into a small jar. That's a fabulous idea! Thank you!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

I do this with everything that comes in plastic. I had a pump container of a thick lotion, more like a cream, that stopped pumping out but still felt kinda heavy so I knew it wasn't empty. I cut the container open and with a spatula was able to get out a full half cup....4 ounces!! What a waste that would have been.{#emotions_dlg.glare}

Respected Contributor

I'm about to have to do this with my favorite face balm. Thanks for the reminder!!!!! Smiley Wink