Respected Contributor

Testing cosmetics on animals

I never really thought about this until I started hearing people talk about brands they won't use because they test on animals.  My question --- how does that work?  What animals do they test on?  Why do they need to test cosmetics on anything other than a human?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Testing cosmetics on animals

They use dogs (usually Beagles since they are so docile0, rabbits, mice, ginea pigs, chickens to test with.   They put excessive chemicals in their eyes and inject the chemicals into them, put on their skin, etc. to see if the chemicals are irritants or cause cancer.   These animals are kept in cages 24/7 their entire life.

Look up Beagle Freedom Project to see what rehabilitating these tortured animals is like.

Most, if not all, products sold in Asia are tested this way.   

Honored Contributor

This doesn't have anything to do with cosmetics, but I used to work at a facility where they used baboons to do cholesterol research (why I worked there is another story)...I was so horrified and sickened with what I saw that I left that job after a few weeks. Since that point in my life I have taken a vow to never support any animal testing. 

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

This doesn't have anything to do with cosmetics, but I used to work at a facility where they used baboons to do cholesterol research (why I worked there is another story)...I was so horrified and sickened with what I saw that I left that job after a few weeks. Since that point in my life I have taken a vow to never support any animal testing. 

Sometimes there is no other way to test drugs, many of which have saved innumerable lives. Even some who adamantly oppose testing the safety of beauty products on animals reluctantly accept the difference.

Consider how you might feel if your or your loved ones' life depended upon the use of such a drug or medicine.

I'm well aware that purists will weigh in, but I am not one of them.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

How strange that someone would feel the need to bump this currrent thread.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

How strange that someone would feel the need to bump this currrent thread.

My reply is gone, so I assume it was mine.  I was replying to the thread with "That is awful."  Not sure how that's a "bump".  

Honored Contributor

There are people that get paid to try different products but by their choice.

This subject has been hashed over so many times and it always ends up in a huge fight.

Respected Contributor

My son is a big human and animal rights supporter, he has been since he was a young boy.   He is vegan, and doesn't push his ways and choices on me.  I am aware and am trying to change and make a difference with certain things I'm purchasing now.  

Honored Contributor

@Sister Golden Hair wrote:

There are people that get paid to try different products but by their choice.

This subject has been hashed over so many times and it always ends up in a huge fight.

Umm, yes, some subjects do end up that way. Umm, some people enjoy that. Smiley Wink

I guess I think of the Beauty forum as a respite from all that kind of activity. I hope it doesn't devolve too much in that direction.