Contributor

I read a blog about products tested  on animals, and wondering why didn't they just test on people,well I found one  that does.The Ordinary tested their products on people, has it on the box,I was really surprised to see that,and very happy to know,manufacturers should all do this since we are the ones going to use the products,

Not those poor animals,who have no say on what's happening to them .I mean I never heard an animal say that feels good or ouch that burns.

Honored Contributor

@tippygirl wrote:

I read a blog about products tested  on animals, and wondering why didn't they just test on people,well I found one  that does.The Ordinary tested their products on people, has it on the box,I was really surprised to see that,and very happy to know,manufacturers should all do this since we are the ones going to use the products,

Not those poor animals,who have no say on what's happening to them .I mean I never heard an animal say that feels good or ouch that burns.

Without wading into this hot issue, I'll just say that not all testing can be done on humans. So it's hard to say exactly what they mean by this response. it may be more of a sales pitch than anything else.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

In reality, every product made for human use will eventually be "tested" by and on humans ... and the results sometimes are disease and/or death.

Honored Contributor

Most new products are based on well established formulas that are already known to be safe. The difference is in percentages of botanicals or a peptide or an oil or texturizers. But in such small amounts that the product itself is still very similar to loads of other creams or serums that have gone before. Extensive testing isn't really needed for those products. Just the basic stability testing etc.

It's like if you took Jergens lotion and blended in an additional 1/8 drop of aloe vera gel to the formula, you could still expect it to give the same results, safetywise and skin healthwise, as the original Jergens. You would just need to adjust the texture a little and maybe add something to stabilize and preserve the additional natural ingredient. The changes would be really small, so you could build any testing on what you already knew about Jergens.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

I remember an article I read many, many years ago regarding cosmetics.  It stated that brands that are not tested on animals are actually never tested until the first customers buy them.  First customers are the 'testers.'   After reading that, I always waited until a product had been on the market a long time and well established before I would buy it and try it.

Even then, products that irritate my skin or eyes may not irritate yours.  Products that work perfectly fine on you may give me a rash.   

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Don't understimate the quality requirements of the major chain retailers that sell products. They require a base level of stability and safety testing before they will put them on their shelves, online or 3D. They don't want to deal with angry customers bringing back rancid skin creams that gave them rashes. So they have their own standards in place to help prevent that.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr