Regular Contributor

Re: Tell Me, Do You Think This Is A Scam

I know that when I enter stuff like that I often get a confirmation email thanking me for entering.   did you check to see if you have a confirmation email showing that you did enter?

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I got an email today regarding my entry in the Total Beauty Awards 2015 sweepstakes. It's from Wanna who works in the Marketing Department at TotalllyHerMediaLLC. It states I'm the grand prize winner of a Beauty Bag and need to respond by Wednesday or I will lose my prize. It is worth $1,014.75. I may have entered the sweepstakes, I don't remember. I find it hard to believe I won, I never win anything! Should I respond to this? Unfortunately in today's day and age I don't trust anything. 

It's a scam.  If you won something, it's yours.  There is no such thing as not receiving your prize if you don't reply by a certain date. Have you ever received the phone call where you are told you won something but needto attend a seminar?  OMG!  Move on and make up your own beauty bag.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

On my MAC I have the ability to bounce emails that I don't want to use my email address.  I open the email and click on "Message" in the menu, then scroll down to "Bounce" and click on it.  "Bounce" reads:  "Are you sure you want to return each selected message to its sender?  If the sender's return address is correct, the sender will receive a reply indicating your email address was invalid.  Bouncing messages can help to reduce unwanted email."  Then, click Cancel or Bounce.

Honored Contributor

@Lovethesea wrote:

On my MAC I have the ability to bounce emails that I don't want to use my email address.  I open the email and click on "Message" in the menu, then scroll down to "Bounce" and click on it.  "Bounce" reads:  "Are you sure you want to return each selected message to its sender?  If the sender's return address is correct, the sender will receive a reply indicating your email address was invalid.  Bouncing messages can help to reduce unwanted emai."  Then, click Cancel or Bounce.

shoekitty said

I may get a MAC for that feature alone!  I have never heard of that. Do other computers or programs do that?

Trusted Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@Lovethesea wrote:

On my MAC I have the ability to bounce emails that I don't want to use my email address.  I open the email and click on "Message" in the menu, then scroll down to "Bounce" and click on it.  "Bounce" reads:  "Are you sure you want to return each selected message to its sender?  If the sender's return address is correct, the sender will receive a reply indicating your email address was invalid.  Bouncing messages can help to reduce unwanted email."  Then, click Cancel or Bounce.

shoekitty said

I may get a MAC for that feature alone!  I have never heard of that. Do other computers or programs do that?

I don't know of other computers or programs that have the "Bounce" feature, but I just realized that it is not necessary to open an email in order to bounce it.  It is possible to bounce an unopened email as well.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

I got an email today regarding my entry in the Total Beauty Awards 2015 sweepstakes. It's from Wanna who works in the Marketing Department at TotalllyHerMediaLLC. It states I'm the grand prize winner of a Beauty Bag and need to respond by Wednesday or I will lose my prize. It is worth $1,014.75. I may have entered the sweepstakes, I don't remember. I find it hard to believe I won, I never win anything! Should I respond to this? Unfortunately in today's day and age I don't trust anything. 

It's a scam.  If you won something, it's yours.  There is no such thing as not receiving your prize if you don't reply by a certain date. Have you ever received the phone call where you are told you won something but needto attend a seminar?  OMG!  Move on and make up your own beauty bag.

Not true at all.  Did you read my reply about my winning the 

Benefit Sweepstakes last year?  I had to do just what the OP is being asked to do...and yes it was real.  I received all the prizes, and they were awesome.  

When you enter a sweepstakes, there is a lot of fine print about the terms.  You agree to all these terms when you enter.  If you decide you don't like them, if you are the winner, you don't get the prize.  Then they choose someone else.

I wasn't the first winner of the Benefit sweepstakes....the first person turned it down.

Honored Contributor

@butterflygirl69 wrote:

I know that when I enter stuff like that I often get a confirmation email thanking me for entering.   did you check to see if you have a confirmation email showing that you did enter?

I got no confirmation of entering the sweepstakes drawing that I won last year.  When they notified me (and I actually got a phone call), like the OP....I couldn't remember it at first, and thought it was a scam.  In fact I had entered, about 3 months earlier.  

When a company is doing a promotion/drawing....they set the terms.  They're clearly indicated in the fine print,that most people don't read!

Honored Contributor

Call the consumer division of your state attorney general's office. Describe the email and ask their opinion. They are the agency that deals with fraud, not the BBB. They will know if others have received the same thing.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

Here is the company's contact info http://www.totallyhermedia.com/contact/

It wouldn't hurt to call them tomorrow and ask if they know who that person is and if it's real or not. Also, they would want to know if it's spam so they can investigate it in case it isn't true.
Honored Contributor

If you have to ask, treat it as spam and delete! Take it for someone who works in IT security!
Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.