Honored Contributor

Re: Tell Me, Do You Think This Is A Scam

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

If you can't remember entering, RUN.  And since you opened the email, I'd clean the computer of cookies, spyware, etc. and block the sender's email address.

I didn't open it on my computer, I opened it on my iPod.

Honored Contributor

I would email them back and ask for more info.  I went to the Total Beauty website, and it looks like they have regular sweepstakes giveaways.  

One that recently ended was this:

"TotalBeauty.com Awards Sweepstakes

Enter for a chance to score over $1,000 worth of beauty products from the TotalBeauty.com Awards"

So the amount seems right, according to the email you received.

Last year, I won a sweepstakes from Benefit Cosmetics, and I had to fill out the tax form, too.  It's so they can inform the IRS that you won, and the amount of your prize.  You'll need to claim it as income when you file your 2015 taxes.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

If you can't remember entering, RUN.  And since you opened the email, I'd clean the computer of cookies, spyware, etc. and block the sender's email address.

I didn't open it on my computer, I opened it on my iPod.

Still, if it's a scammer, they have your email address and know it's a good/active one so you could be opening yourself up to being hacked.

Respected Contributor

if you do business with them its probably ok but if they ask for money ill run the other way

Honored Contributor

Thank for the information. I don't know if I want to collect a prize of that value and pay taxes on it. I'm also wondering what the heck is in it for that amount?Who wants to pay taxes on something you may not even like.

Honored Contributor

If you don't remember putting your name in, it's probably best to pass.

Contributor

It seems to me a legitimate winning entry would not be asking for a W9 prior to receipt of any winnings. Also, I honestly don't know how many winners actually are notified via email vs. registered mail??? Just wondering. Please be careful, even returning an email these days is scary.
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Thank for the information. I don't know if I want to collect a prize of that value and pay taxes on it. I'm also wondering what the heck is in it for that amount?Who wants to pay taxes on something you may not even like.

Excellent point, and therein might lie the gimmick, if not scam.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Looks like a scam and I would delete it,

Respected Contributor

Yes, TOTAL scam. DELETE!