Frequent Contributor

Re: Tell Me, Do You Think This Is A Scam

Not related directly to this post, I reveived the following warning from our local police this morning:

Local Police Warn Of 'Fake Parcel Claim' Scam that’s turning up in area mailboxes.

According to police, the “fake parcel claim” scam involves sending a notification to victims that says $50 worth of jewelry is awaiting pick-up.

“The official looking white card has an orange and blue border on the front,” Police. “It tells you to turn over for information on how to release your parcel and says to reply immediately.”

Police warn residents not to call the phone number on the card because it is a scam.

“If you call and make a payment you will receive additional cards and money will be repeatedly taken from your credit card,” police said.

If you get one of these notifications, destroy the card, police said.
Valued Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

It states to respond to this email confirming receipt after which I will send you the Affidavit of Eligibility and W9 form for you to fill out, sign and return along with a photocopy of your state issued ID. I'm not going to respond. It sounds like they want too much info from me..

Don't do it!

Honored Contributor

I would certainly look into this further and not automatically write it off as a scam, unless you don't want the prize.

I'm not sure why people would enter a contest if they don't want the prize though?  I may not remember right off the bat that I entered a contest but I wouldn't enter in the first place if I didn't want what was being given away. 

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

The sweepstakes on their website says winners will be chosen in August.  I'd investigate further before providing your state ID.  I noticed quite a few giveaways on their Facebook page.  Maybe take a look at that and see if that rings a bell, if you do Facebook.

Honored Contributor

I enter some contests never thinking I will win. The odds of winning are against me When I entered this sweepstake I don't know if I knew the prize. I was just voting my favorite products and I think you were automatically entered
Esteemed Contributor

If I received this message I'd ignore it. The way I see it, do I need a beauty bag that much that I'm willing to risk what would happen if it is a scam? I would definitely not send them any information at all.
Honored Contributor

I agree you could do a little more research to make sure it's on the up & up or not. If you don't want to pay taxes on that amount just delete it. That's what the W9 is for. When you win something you have to pay taxes on it. I searched the sweepstakes & marketing company & found info online on both.

Honored Contributor

I found phone numbers for Totally Her Media for their corporate office and New York branch. Unless you know the party's extension number or last name (I don't have either) you get a recording where you must leave your name and phone number so someone can get back to you. I'm not willing to give that information so I will just have to "Let It Go"!

Frequent Contributor

on a w-9 you have to put your SS# I wouldn't do it.

Frequent Contributor

I've signed up for those so it may not be a scam.  Contact total beauty to check it out first.  I wish I'd get an email like that.  I would be calling them.