Super Contributor

Teal Toes! Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month

September is Ovarian Cancer Awareness month. So I'm sending out a reminder for anyone who participates, or would like to participate, in Teal Toes. I painted mine in Baldwin by Color Club, topped with Dance Teal Dawn by Ulta.

From Teal Toes website:

Our mission is to raise awareness of ovarian cancer.

How? By painting your toenails teal, the ovarian cancer color. By getting your friends to paint their toenails teal too, and then by talking with people when they ask about it, to make sure that they know the signs of this whispering killer.

Any time of year is good for teal toes, but we especially recommend September, the ovarian cancer awareness month!

Thank you for reading! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Valued Contributor

Re: Teal Toes! Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month

Thank you for posting this. I lost my very best friend to this horrible disease when she was in her early 40's. There needs to be more awareness to wipe out this as well as all cancers. Although I doubt it will happen in my lifetime, but wouldn't it be wonderful if one day people would be able to say, "Cancer! What's that?"

Super Contributor

So funny, I just bought teal nail polish today! Didn't even know!

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Docsgirl, it is horrible and I would love to be around for that day. My mom has seven sisters, and three of them had surgery for it. They all had to get checkups twice a year due to being high risk and they caught it in time.

Super Contributor

Thanks for the post - I didn't know. I will do teal fingers too since I am not sure how long sandal weather will last.

Ovarian Cancer - the silent killer.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/ovariancancer/

Ovarian cancer accounts for about 3% of cancers among women, but it causes more deaths than any other cancer of the female reproductive system.

Honored Contributor

I almost always wear closed-toe shoes, but I'll be happy to wear teal on my fingers and share this site with my friends.

Super Contributor

Many do choose to wear it on their fingers instead Smile I'm always painting my toes anyway and usually wear sandals until late October, and sometimes into November. I change over to pink for October.

I'm going to post the symptoms (should've done that in the OP, duh, lol)-

Symptoms of Ovarian Cancer

Even in its early stages ovarian cancer has symptoms. Research indicates that 95 percent of women with ovarian cancer had symptoms and 90 percent of women experienced symptoms with early-stage ovarian cancer. Symptoms vary from woman to woman and many times depend on the location of the tumor and its impact on the surrounding organs. Many of the symptoms mimic other conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome.

The Gynecologic Cancer Foundation, the Society of Gynecologic Oncologists and the American Cancer Society, with significant support from the Alliance formed a consensus statement on ovarian cancer. The Ovarian Cancer National Alliance has endorsed the consensus statement, which was announced in June 2007. The statement follows.

Women who have these symptoms almost daily for more than a few weeks should see their doctor, preferably a gynecologist. Prompt medical evaluation may lead to detection at the earliest possible stage of the disease. Early stage diagnosis is associated with an improved prognosis.

Historically ovarian cancer was called the “silent killer” because symptoms were not thought to develop until the chance of cure was poor. However, recent studies have shown this term is untrue and that the following symptoms are much more likely to occur in women with ovarian cancer than women in the general population. These symptoms include:

• Bloating
  • Pelvic or abdominal pain
  • Difficulty eating or feeling full quickly
  • Urinary symptoms (urgency or frequency)

Women with ovarian cancer report that symptoms are persistent and represent a change from normal for their bodies. The frequency and/or number of such symptoms are key factors in the diagnosis of ovarian cancer. Several studies show that even early stage ovarian cancer can produce these symptoms.

Women who have these symptoms almost daily for more than a few weeks should see their doctor, preferably a gynecologist. Prompt medical evaluation may lead to detection at the earliest possible stage of the disease. Early stage diagnosis is associated with an improved prognosis.

Valued Contributor

I will be wearing teal toes by the weekend. I have the perfect color already.

I lost a coworker to this disease six years ago. We really have to listen to our bodies and learn these symptoms. My friend had a swollen stomach and horrible back pain. She kept going to her Dr. for manipulations thinking it was a back issue. Any way this is a great thread to help others learn the signs.

Valued Contributor

I am hoping to go get a pedi next week and I will keep the TEAL in mind! Thanks for the reminder about Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month.

Super Contributor

On 9/2/2014 SunnyRose said:

I will be wearing teal toes by the weekend. I have the perfect color already.

I lost a coworker to this disease six years ago. We really have to listen to our bodies and learn these symptoms. My friend had a swollen stomach and horrible back pain. She kept going to her Dr. for manipulations thinking it was a back issue. Any way this is a great thread to help others learn the signs.

Doctors should be aware of these symptoms and inform the patient. We all know to check for lumps in our breasts and to get mammograms, but until a few years ago I had no idea what the symptoms are for ovarian cancer. It would be a good idea for doctors to post a list in their office, in the exam rooms at the least, IMHO.