Honored Contributor

@Quinny   Back to taupe shadow: I forgot one of my favorite palettes, Urban Decay Naked Basics 2..all taupe shadows. 

Honored Contributor

@Quinny    Not sure where you are, but took lots of time to respond to your questions. No reply?

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Quinny   Hope you're having a relaxing holiday. Mascara: black always. I use L'Oreal Voluminous, wipe off the wand on tissue and apply one coat...just enough to define, not "in your face" Twiggy lashes. Lips: I like to have a few liners, but all are the color of my lips, not the lipsticks. I have Bobbi Brown's Ballet Pink, Wet 'N Wild 666 and a few nude/pinks from MAC. I like to fill in w/ pencil and use a lip balm or clear pink gloss over when not wearing lipstick. Favorite lipsticks: top of the list is Clinique Pink Spice, Bobbi Brown's Desert Rose, any shade that's a bit brighter, but same tone as inner lip...that's how you find your own true bumped up pink/nude. Match to inside of lower lip, no testing on arm, wrist...not same color or texture as lips. The closest texture/color is to try color on pad of thumb. Learn some new trick every day, huh? SKINCARE, my favorite subject: The basic necessities are a gentle cleanser for morning (I use Cetaphil), an oil cleanser for night to remove makeup and even if only spf which is more difficult to remove thoroughly than women think. *After washing off makeup/spf at night w/ your gentle cleanser, use a bit of whatever oil you have (argan, olive, Crisco) & rub between hands and then lightly over face. Use a white wash cloth or towel w/ warm water to remove and see if there's residue...makeup left on your face that you thought was clean. Ah ha! Moisturizer w/ one of your choice, one eye cream that's not too emollient so you can use it under concealer AM and also under eyes at night. There's no need to have two. SPF (/sounds like you have the habit of using it correctly). My neck cream AM & PM is Bare Minerals Ageless Genius (on Q). No, it won't tighten/lift, but after several years I do see an improvement in the texture of the skin on my neck. Treatment comes in the form of how much time you want to spend. I use a Vit. C serum in the morning after cleansing before mousturizer and spf. At night, treatment, for me, is prescription Retin A. I have additional products like acid pads, a light facial scrub, a heavier moisturizer and a lighter weight moisturizer, etc. I look at my skin and assess if it seems too dry from the Retin A, for example. I take off a few nights, use my heavier moisturizer at night and then go back to it. *Note: I've been using Retin A for over 30 years. My skin, at 71 1/2 is fairly wrinkle free between that and spf & good skincare. Always use whatever you put on your face down your neck to bra line (hands, too if possible). It's never too early or too late to begin good skincare. My morning routine is about 10 minutes skincare and 5 minutes for minimal makeup. Night time takes about 15 minutes (added 5 to remove makeup which I have not worn the last few months). I put on my moisturizers, etc. about 1/2 hr. before bedtime so it can soak in/dry down. It doesn't help my skin if it all ends up on my pillow. Another important point is a satin or silk pillowcase. It helps your skin slide across it preventing wrinkles and great for not damaging hair. Cotton cases tend to grab hair and lead to split ends. Most of my skincare products are Skinceuticals, oil is Bobbi Brown, acid peel pads by Dr. Dennis Gross & I think I covered the other products. Hope I answered the questions you had and if I left any out....page me. I'll check back in tomorrow. 🦋

@Shanus ...Thank you and please forgive my slow reply. In the midst of all of this virus and craziness, our 2-year-old grandson required emergency surgery early Tuesday morning. He's recovering well, we're helping with his care and the care of their 10 yr. old. 6 yr. old and 11-month-old.  I've found a new kind of tired.  So much information to read and digest and think about.  Do I understand that using a bit of oil after cleansing will remove any makeup my cleanser may have left behind? And, I can follow that with my moisturizer? I use DHC cleansing oil at night after I massage it in, I add a little water and it makes kind of a milky cleanser, I use to complete the cleansing process. Did I understand correctly that you use the same moisturizer at night and in the morning?  Neck cream is something I need to investigate. I've always used my body lotion on my neck and my chest...eeK! Vitamin C serum and Retinol?  I guess I need to read and research kinds and types. Do you think there's a correlation between quality and price? I've taken enough of your time, generosity and patience. I have saved all of our exchanges along the way. When I think I started out looking for Taupe eyeshadow and ended up with a new way to think about how I look at myself, an education and a tremendous mentor and friend. Have a great weekend!  

Honored Contributor

@Quinny So sorry about your family emergency. Hope all's well and situation improving...concerned when didn't hear back from you. No, you cleanse w/ oil first to dissolve makeup or just spf first. The second cleanse is whatever else you were using to remove extra traces of oil. YouTube has videos how to start Retin A and get your skin accustomed to lowest %. That's at night only. Vit. C is in the morning. Yes, same moisturizer AM & PM, but change to a heavier one in winter when my skin is more dry. 

Hope all eases up in your family and you can have some stress free time this weekend. 🌻

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Quinny So sorry about your family emergency. Hope all's well and situation improving...concerned when didn't hear back from you. No, you cleanse w/ oil first to dissolve makeup or just spf first. The second cleanse is whatever else you were using to remove extra traces of oil. YouTube has videos how to start Retin A and get your skin accustomed to lowest %. That's at night only. Vit. C is in the morning. Yes, same moisturizer AM & PM, but change to a heavier one in winter when my skin is more dry. 

Hope all eases up in your family and you can have some stress free time this weekend. 🌻

@Shanus I promise, one last question...for now.  I reread the question I asked about cleanser and cleansing oil, it sounded like I was in fog. When cleansing at night, I use DHC cleansing oil to remove makeup and/or dirt, pollutants from my face. I follow that with CeraVe facial cleanser, then moisturizer.

In the morning, I only use my CeraVe facial cleanser followed by moisturizer w/SPF.

How should I alter this process?  Thank you for recommending YouTube videos, do you have any favorite YouTubers?  I'm not familiar with all of the rules on this forum, perhaps you're not permitted to mention anyone in particular.  My gratitude.

p.s.  Bennie is improving, better pain meds, much happier today than yesterday, 

Trusted Contributor

@Quinny wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus I promise, one last question...for now.  I reread the question I asked about cleanser and cleansing oil, it sounded like I was in fog. When cleansing at night, I use DHC cleansing oil to remove makeup and/or dirt, pollutants from my face. I follow that with CeraVe facial cleanser, then moisturizer.

In the morning, I only use my CeraVe facial cleanser followed by moisturizer w/SPF.

How should I alter this process?  Thank you for recommending YouTube videos, do you have any favorite YouTubers?  I'm not familiar with all of the rules on this forum, perhaps you're not permitted to mention anyone in particular.  My gratitude.

p.s.  Bennie is improving, better pain meds, much happier today than yesterday, 

@Shanus   Has our thread been lost?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Taupe, anyone?

[ Edited ]

Tamara's Timeless Beauty....60 yrs. old and "up" on everything skincare related, Angie at Hot & Flashy...type in YouTube "skincare for (your age decade)" & many will come up. Your routine: I'd start Retin A at night (look for a retinol cream at drugstore, no RX needed, until you can get to a derm) & a Vit. C serum in the morning before moisturizer/spf right after cleanser. Serums go on first...skincare goes on in the order of thinnest to thickest allowing several minutes for each step to sink in/dry down.***At least 1/4 tsp. sunscreen for face, add another 1/4 tsp. for neck and chest (you'll thank me later when others have spotty, wrinkled chests). Consider Neutrogena HydroBoost SPF, my daily spf. It's not too expensive since you'll be using it every day. I wear my Vit. C and spf every morning even if not leaving the house. Harmful rays do come through the windows during the day while you're reading, watching TV, etc. Then you're covered getting the mail or running an errand w/o removing any moisturizers or makeup. 

Try to unwind and enjoy some time for your yourself. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Swedishmiss 

I didn't forget you. I finally got my Butter London order this week. I kept getting multiple messages stating a delivery attempt was made (twice) but couldn't access my address. That was total nonsense. I suspect someone was very busy or lazy. 

I received the taupe and soft pink cream eyeshadows. I love both. The pink is beige-y pink and a great neutral, natural base on its own or blended with the Driftwood taupe color. This one is a soft shade too. I am impressed with the quality and longevity. Makes a smooth lid and did not crease or get crepey. The finish is a matte but isn't too flat on the lid. I will purchase again when another sale comes around. Did you order/receive the Driftwood?

I want to swatch the colors on my hand and post. Same for my new lipsticks. I'll start a separate thread for those once I figure out the best way to snap a photo using my cell with one hand, hee hee. Are than any particular shades that interest you? What is your go to color(s)?

Valued Contributor

@rochelleS wrote:

@Swedishmiss 

I didn't forget you. I finally got my Butter London order this week. I kept getting multiple messages stating a delivery attempt was made (twice) but couldn't access my address. That was total nonsense. I suspect someone was very busy or lazy. 

I received the taupe and soft pink cream eyeshadows. I love both. The pink is beige-y pink and a great neutral, natural base on its own or blended with the Driftwood taupe color. This one is a soft shade too. I am impressed with the quality and longevity. Makes a smooth lid and did not crease or get crepey. The finish is a matte but isn't too flat on the lid. I will purchase again when another sale comes around. Did you order/receive the Driftwood?

I want to swatch the colors on my hand and post. Same for my new lipsticks. I'll start a separate thread for those once I figure out the best way to snap a photo using my cell with one hand, hee hee. Are than any particular shades that interest you? What is your go to color(s)?

I got my package today!  I am wearing the Driftwood now.  I cannot speak to how well it wears yet (I put it on my bare lids without any primer).  But it looks great (very natural) .  I love the color; it works perfectly with my very light, neutral to slightly cool skin tone.  

You are right about the finish...it is so flattering on my mature lids 😊 

This may very well be my new favorite go to.  I am definitely going to try more from this line.  

I am looking forward to your review of the lipsticks.  You asked about my colors.  I usually look best in neutral to slightly cool colors (pinks are a favorite).  However, in foundation, I find that slightly warm to neutral colors are more flattering.

Thank you RochelleS for giving me the heads up on the sale and your initial review of Driftwood.  

Trusted Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

If @Shanus reads this thread, I'm sure she'll be able to recommend the perfect cool toned taupe.

@San Antonio Gal You were 100% correct about @Shanus. She recommended great colors as well as outlined a minimalistic makeup look, skincare recommendations, and answered several more questions throughout our exchange of information! QVC would do well to hire her on as a skincare and beauty consultant. I received more helpful, easy to follow advice from her than in my 40 years of asking for help and recommendations from "high-end"  department store makeup consultants and/or sales associates!