Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Quinny wrote:

@Shanus Thank you!!  I've never been confident about my skills in applying makeup; consequently, I've used the bare minimum of the same shades for my eyes, face and lips for years.   Your thorough, "no-frills", easy to understand information and explanation, makes me think I should try a couple of other shades...I just might surprise myself.

You asked if I had more questions?  Yes...maybe 2 or more like 10. Have you ever thought about offering a workshop?  I want to sign-up now!  Many thanks! 

@Quinny  I'm happy you're feeling more confident and yes when I did freelance makeup work, I did workshops for 5 women at a time in store. If you'd like to divulge your age, more about your coloring (skin: fair, medium, olive or pinkish tones), hair color, how much max time you like to spend doing makeup and whether you enjoy full coverage foundation or a more natural light coverage, then when you ask your 10 questions (😜), I'll have more info. 

@Shanus I replied to a previous comment before I saw your dangerous offer. I'm sixty, 60, Smiley Embarassed Makeup and I are not friends. At my age and at 5'2" and 105 lbs. on a 'heavy day', I feel like an old painted lady with makeup on my face. I press on: My skin is fair to light, I have blue eyes and medium brown hair. (I had to cover the gray) I had my makeup done for my son's wedding a few years ago, the makeup artist told me my skin has pink to neutral undertones. I like the natural makeup look, but with the onset of some broken capillaries and minor redness, I think I need some coverage.  I'm rather low-maintenance, spending a lot of time on hair and makeup makes me anxious...weird, I know. I'm clueless. I'd be thrilled with a single suggestion. Are you sorry you asked?? 

Honored Contributor

@Quinny wrote:

@Maestra1 @Shanus  I'm happy for you  @Maestra1, feeling "brighter" is such a mood lifter, too.  I've been noticing, especially in pictures, the same washed out, blah, look. I wear nude pink lipstick and barely-there blush, hoping not to draw too much attention to myself. I know I could never wear bright lips, I'm much too self-conscious. I'm wondering if you and @Shanus would have any suggestions for something between nude pink and ruby? I'd love to know!

@Quinny  Good Morning and Happy Holiday weekend. I always recommend my all time favorite Clinique Pink Spice lipstick. It has a tiny bit of shimmer, a bit of coral, but mostly pinkish nude...Bright enough to add color to cheeks/lips without being too much. It's sometimes difficult to find. Try Beautylish, Blue Mercury (purchased 3 from there) or Amazon. I mentioned it here several months ago w/ a swatch and think most approved of the shade. I'll try to swatch again. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Taupe, anyone?

[ Edited ]

@Quinny wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Quinny wrote:

@Shanus Thank you!!  I've never been confident about my skills in applying makeup; consequently, I've used the bare minimum of the same shades for my eyes, face and lips for years.   Your thorough, "no-frills", easy to understand information and explanation, makes me think I should try a couple of other shades...I just might surprise myself.

You asked if I had more questions?  Yes...maybe 2 or more like 10. Have you ever thought about offering a workshop?  I want to sign-up now!  Many thanks! 

@Quinny  I'm happy you're feeling more confident and yes when I did freelance makeup work, I did workshops for 5 women at a time in store. If you'd like to divulge your age, more about your coloring (skin: fair, medium, olive or pinkish tones), hair color, how much max time you like to spend doing makeup and whether you enjoy full coverage foundation or a more natural light coverage, then when you ask your 10 questions (😜), I'll have more info. 

@Shanus I replied to a previous comment before I saw your dangerous offer. I'm sixty, 60, Smiley Embarassed Makeup and I are not friends. At my age and at 5'2" and 105 lbs. on a 'heavy day', I feel like an old painted lady with makeup on my face. I press on: My skin is fair to light, I have blue eyes and medium brown hair. (I had to cover the gray) I had my makeup done for my son's wedding a few years ago, the makeup artist told me my skin has pink to neutral undertones. I like the natural makeup look, but with the onset of some broken capillaries and minor redness, I think I need some coverage.  I'm rather low-maintenance, spending a lot of time on hair and makeup makes me anxious...weird, I know. I'm clueless. I'd be thrilled with a single suggestion. Are you sorry you asked?? 

@Quinny   I'd never ask the question if didn't welcome the answer. I'm a makeup minimalist. I concentrate on skincare so I can get by without wearing too much makeup. I feel it's more youthful to let your skin show through. Too heavy handed w/ full coverage foundation or overdone eyes w/ 3 shadows, dark liner, darkened outer corners, winged liner, Instagram brows...all a big NO. Here's my makeup routine. See if it's something you'd like to try. We both don't like too much fuss w/ makeup and a more natural look. My eyes are green instead of blue and skin white as snow, but even with slight pink undertones, I always prefer a neutral tinted moisturizer. I like a bit of yellow (no one else here does) because it's a natural color corrector to any redness. That's why most makeup lines have yellow tints. One of the best recommendations I can give you is instead of foundation, use a tinted mousturizer (I use Bobbi Brown in the beige tube). It has some coverage to even out your complexion. Then have 2 concealers. One should be a shade lighter for under eyes and the other the shade of your skin to touch up those capillaries or any areas of redness (mine is between brows, nostrils & a little on chin). I also have BB's foundation stick for more coverage when doing a more makeup look. I set my t zone w/ Laura Mercier loose white setting powder and a small fluffy brush (an eye shadow blending brush). I set my concealer w/ same brush & LM undereye brightening setting powder (loose, smaller container). From there a quick swipe of Benefit Gimme Brow gel, Laura Mercier Eye Basics (a eye primer in many shades that can brighten the lid & take away any blue veins or in a more linen shade can serve as a one & done every day shadow). I tightline w/ dark navy Urban Decay 24/7 waterproof pencil (if special occasion, I line top into the lashes w/ charcoal or navy pencil and set with same color shadow. Then comes mascara...drugstore L'Oreal for me. Blush is either a cream blush (NARS Orgasm in stick form) or whatever lipstick I'm wearing. Lips/gloss and done. The above is my Sat. Nite going out face ("used to be" restaurant/movie face 😜).

Here's my honest to God, every day 5 minute face: skincare (separate post if you wish), tinted moisturizer, concealer under eyes, Gimme Brow, tightline w/ navy & mascara. Lipstick or cream blush on cheeks and Burt's Bees Pomegranate Lip Balm or a transparent gloss (both pre-mask)...no powder to set, no eye shadow, rarely bronze (looks muddy on me) or contour or highlight. I don't think it looks age appropriate on me. It's just a lot of work and if not super blended can end up looking like a Kardashian. When I do brides, catalogue or photography makeup, yes contour/highlight, bronzing all necessary so the face has dimension, but in real life, not necessary. It's time consuming, too many products, aging and way too difficult to get the colors correct. 

So, that's it @Quinny. Any other questions or product recommendations? Skincare? 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Swedishmiss @cantdrive55 + anyone else who may be interested...

Butter London is having a 30% Memorial Day sale. Discount code on their site.

Trusted Contributor

Another vote for Clinique here, I too fancy their eyeshadows.

Also if you hurry, you can spend 45 dollars and Clinique will give you a very nice gift .

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Valued Contributor

@rochelleS wrote:

@Swedishmiss @cantdrive55 + anyone else who may be interested...

Butter London is having a 30% Memorial Day sale. Discount code on their site.

You are so thoughtful!  Thank you Rochelle S for the heads up!!  (I placed an order and looking forward to trying it 😊)

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Swedishmiss 

Hey, its truly my pleasure. Glad to hear you took advantage of the sale. My order from the May 17th viewyourdeal dot com sale is on its way. They had a GMA sale in mid April too (yep, I ordered 3 items) so I'm not sure when they'll be back with those morning show promos. If I see it, I'll post and tag you also. I absolutely love their lipstick, have several colors if you're ever interested in feedback...kind of redundant with the masks but I sure am enjoying them at home. 😊👄💖 

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Quinny wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Quinny wrote:

@Quinny   I'd never ask the question if didn't welcome the answer. I'm a makeup minimalist. I concentrate on skincare so I can get by without wearing too much makeup. I feel it's more youthful to let your skin show through. Too heavy handed w/ full coverage foundation or overdone eyes w/ 3 shadows, dark liner, darkened outer corners, winged liner, Instagram brows...all a big NO. Here's my makeup routine. See if it's something you'd like to try. We both don't like too much fuss w/ makeup and a more natural look. My eyes are green instead of blue and skin white as snow, but even with slight pink undertones, I always prefer a neutral tinted moisturizer. I like a bit of yellow (no one else here does) because it's a natural color corrector to any redness. That's why most makeup lines have yellow tints. One of the best recommendations I can give you is instead of foundation, use a tinted mousturizer (I use Bobbi Brown in the beige tube). It has some coverage to even out your complexion. Then have 2 concealers. One should be a shade lighter for under eyes and the other the shade of your skin to touch up those capillaries or any areas of redness (mine is between brows, nostrils & a little on chin). I also have BB's foundation stick for more coverage when doing a more makeup look. I set my t zone w/ Laura Mercier loose white setting powder and a small fluffy brush (an eye shadow blending brush). I set my concealer w/ same brush & LM undereye brightening setting powder (loose, smaller container). From there a quick swipe of Benefit Gimme Brow gel, Laura Mercier Eye Basics (a eye primer in many shades that can brighten the lid & take away any blue veins or in a more linen shade can serve as a one & done every day shadow). I tightline w/ dark navy Urban Decay 24/7 waterproof pencil (if special occasion, I line top into the lashes w/ charcoal or navy pencil and set with same color shadow. Then comes mascara...drugstore L'Oreal for me. Blush is either a cream blush (NARS Orgasm in stick form) or whatever lipstick I'm wearing. Lips/gloss and done. The above is my Sat. Nite going out face ("used to be" restaurant/movie face 😜).

Here's my honest to God, every day 5 minute face: skincare (separate post if you wish), tinted moisturizer, concealer under eyes, Gimme Brow, tightline w/ navy & mascara. Lipstick or cream blush on cheeks and Burt's Bees Pomegranate Lip Balm or a transparent gloss (both pre-mask)...no powder to set, no eye shadow, rarely bronze (looks muddy on me) or contour or highlight. I don't think it looks age appropriate on me. It's just a lot of work and if not super blended can end up looking like a Kardashian. When I do brides, catalogue or photography makeup, yes contour/highlight, bronzing all necessary so the face has dimension, but in real life, not necessary. It's time consuming, too many products, aging and way too difficult to get the colors correct. 

So, that's it @Quinny. Any other questions or product recommendations? Skincare? 

@Shanus  You've just described the makeup look and amount of time spent doing it I thought didn't exist for someone my age. I'd given up hunting for that zebra or figured I'd missed the last train. I know most women would tell me I pay too much attention to my age.  I would argue that some women (like me) do, others do not, every woman is different. So, I'm assuming your makeup routine and the small number of products you use are workable for women of any age...like me, like 60? I realize, as with anything, practice perfects the process, under the current stay-at-home rules, I have plenty of time to practice.

I feel validated after reading your thoughts concerning neutral leaning toward a slight bit of yellow on my skin. In years past, I've disagreed with more makeup counter sales assistants who have insisted that a pink or blush-toned foundation is the best and only look for me. 

Two questions for you, if you have time. What are your thoughts on lip color, lip liner, gloss shades? I'm curious about the shade you prefer? I mentioned my fear of too much lip color, I've tried a couple of more pigmented shades and I feel ridiculous. 

Also, black vs. dark brown mascara; my eyelashes have not succumbed to age, they are thick and long, so my conundrum with not wanting to bring too much attention to myself with black/black mascara raises its head this issue as well.

The skincare question... You dared to go there, didn't you? I haven't a clue. I use a mild facial cleanser and a moisturizer with sunblock, day, night and in between. I read posts on this forum and listen to my friends go on about all of the different moisturizers, serums, acids, eye and neck treatments they use, it's dizzying! I would lose my mind with a 30-minute morning and night skincare routine! My beautiful Mother, a skincare devotee, is 83 years old but looks 10 years younger and I know the care she has taken with her skin has made the difference. My gorgeous Grandma (her mother) died four years ago, she was 101 years old, no one ever believed her age. She would have stayed up all night long before she would have ever missed her skincare routine. This apple (me) landed a bit too far from the tree. Smiley Frustrated

@Shanus, if you are up for a separate skincare post, I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions more than I could ever express. I am shocked and amazed at the help and patience you have given me, help I've been seeking for over 30 years! Many thanks!  

Valued Contributor

@rochelleS wrote:

@Swedishmiss 

Hey, its truly my pleasure. Glad to hear you took advantage of the sale. My order from the May 17th viewyourdeal dot com sale is on its way. They had a GMA sale in mid April too (yep, I ordered 3 items) so I'm not sure when they'll be back with those morning show promos. If I see it, I'll post and tag you also. I absolutely love their lipstick, have several colors if you're ever interested in feedback...kind of redundant with the masks but I sure am enjoying them at home. 😊👄💖 

I would love to read your review of the ButterLondon lipsticks and the colors you like!  Also, thank you for your kind offer to tag me if any future promos 😊 

I am so looking forward to trying this line 💕 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Quinny   Hope you're having a relaxing holiday. Mascara: black always. I use L'Oreal Voluminous, wipe off the wand on tissue and apply one coat...just enough to define, not "in your face" Twiggy lashes. Lips: I like to have a few liners, but all are the color of my lips, not the lipsticks. I have Bobbi Brown's Ballet Pink, Wet 'N Wild 666 and a few nude/pinks from MAC. I like to fill in w/ pencil and use a lip balm or clear pink gloss over when not wearing lipstick. Favorite lipsticks: top of the list is Clinique Pink Spice, Bobbi Brown's Desert Rose, any shade that's a bit brighter, but same tone as inner lip...that's how you find your own true bumped up pink/nude. Match to inside of lower lip, no testing on arm, wrist...not same color or texture as lips. The closest texture/color is to try color on pad of thumb. Learn some new trick every day, huh? SKINCARE, my favorite subject: The basic necessities are a gentle cleanser for morning (I use Cetaphil), an oil cleanser for night to remove makeup and even if only spf which is more difficult to remove thoroughly than women think. *After washing off makeup/spf at night w/ your gentle cleanser, use a bit of whatever oil you have (argan, olive, Crisco) & rub between hands and then lightly over face. Use a white wash cloth or towel w/ warm water to remove and see if there's residue...makeup left on your face that you thought was clean. Ah ha! Moisturizer w/ one of your choice, one eye cream that's not too emollient so you can use it under concealer AM and also under eyes at night. There's no need to have two. SPF (/sounds like you have the habit of using it correctly). My neck cream AM & PM is Bare Minerals Ageless Genius (on Q). No, it won't tighten/lift, but after several years I do see an improvement in the texture of the skin on my neck. Treatment comes in the form of how much time you want to spend. I use a Vit. C serum in the morning after cleansing before mousturizer and spf. At night, treatment, for me, is prescription Retin A. I have additional products like acid pads, a light facial scrub, a heavier moisturizer and a lighter weight moisturizer, etc. I look at my skin and assess if it seems too dry from the Retin A, for example. I take off a few nights, use my heavier moisturizer at night and then go back to it. *Note: I've been using Retin A for over 30 years. My skin, at 71 1/2 is fairly wrinkle free between that and spf & good skincare. Always use whatever you put on your face down your neck to bra line (hands, too if possible). It's never too early or too late to begin good skincare. My morning routine is about 10 minutes skincare and 5 minutes for minimal makeup. Night time takes about 15 minutes (added 5 to remove makeup which I have not worn the last few months). I put on my moisturizers, etc. about 1/2 hr. before bedtime so it can soak in/dry down. It doesn't help my skin if it all ends up on my pillow. Another important point is a satin or silk pillowcase. It helps your skin slide across it preventing wrinkles and great for not damaging hair. Cotton cases tend to grab hair and lead to split ends. Most of my skincare products are Skinceuticals, oil is Bobbi Brown, acid peel pads by Dr. Dennis Gross & I think I covered the other products. Hope I answered the questions you had and if I left any out....page me. I'll check back in tomorrow. 🦋