Honored Contributor

Bobby Brown's taupe stick is far more orange than taupe. 

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus You mentioned looking at shades that lean toward Apricot and Camel. Were you suggesting to use those shades as alternatives to Taupe or along with Taupe? Do you ever use taupe as your primary eyeshadow color? Do you use other shades along with taupe as a highlighter or to shade the crease in your eyelid?  I've often read on blogs or in magazines about highlighting or using different shades in or on the crease and just assumed I wasn't makeup savvy enough to make those looks on myself.  

The reason why I've been strictly taupe with a bit of dark navy eyeliner wearer.

Honored Contributor

@Quinny  Do you like taupes that lean towards browns or grays? 

Lancôme is having their Friends & Family sale right now (25% off instead of usual 20%) free shipping with no minimum purchase.

They have a palette called Taupe Craze. Some shimmers with some mattes. 

Urban Decay 24/7 eye pencil in Mushroom is a metallic taupe pewter shimmer.

And makes a single eyeshadow in that color. Their pencils are creamy & match very well to their powder eyeshadows.

76C6A7BF-5B2A-49DE-A3D1-3EF9B234BBCF.jpeg

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Quinny   It depends on age and how your eyes are as far as creases on lids, etc. I tend to not make a "big deal" in the crease w/ a second shade if the lid is hooded. It can draw more attention to the situation. You can use your lid shade lightly on the lid and a little heavier in the crease if you like that look or 2 shades of a taupe. I think an "older" eye looks better w/ a simple application of one shadow, liner done between the lashes to make lashes look thicker and a coat of mascara. The apricot or camel shades can be used alone if you like the look w/ your blue eyes, as a change, or mixed in w/ a taupe to create something different, brighter. I think w/ taupe shadow, I'd stay in the brown family with your liner instead of navy. You also may want to venture into a grey shadow w/ navy liner...or mix some grey shadow in with your taupe to make it a more cool tone.

Makeup artists rarely work with one color. We have shadow, blush and lip palettes & are always blending to achieve flattering combinations. Just remember that the youtubers you watch may have "filters", perfect lighting & in their 20's or 30's. I don't know your age, but it's important not to get caught up in looks that may be overdone for someone 50, but look great on someone who's 30. Hope some of this helps you. Let me know if you have more questions. 

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus Thank you!!  I've never been confident about my skills in applying makeup; consequently, I've used the bare minimum of the same shades for my eyes, face and lips for years.   Your thorough, "no-frills", easy to understand information and explanation, makes me think I should try a couple of other shades...I just might surprise myself.

You asked if I had more questions?  Yes...maybe 2 or more like 10. Have you ever thought about offering a workshop?  I want to sign-up now!  Many thanks! 

Honored Contributor

@Quinny wrote:

@Shanus Thank you!!  I've never been confident about my skills in applying makeup; consequently, I've used the bare minimum of the same shades for my eyes, face and lips for years.   Your thorough, "no-frills", easy to understand information and explanation, makes me think I should try a couple of other shades...I just might surprise myself.

You asked if I had more questions?  Yes...maybe 2 or more like 10. Have you ever thought about offering a workshop?  I want to sign-up now!  Many thanks! 

@Quinny  I'm happy you're feeling more confident and yes when I did freelance makeup work, I did workshops for 5 women at a time in store. If you'd like to divulge your age, more about your coloring (skin: fair, medium, olive or pinkish tones), hair color, how much max time you like to spend doing makeup and whether you enjoy full coverage foundation or a more natural light coverage, then when you ask your 10 questions (😜), I'll have more info. 

Super Contributor

@Shanus  Since my hairline has gone whitish blonde (smh) I've been wondering why I look so washed out and blah (no, I'm feeling fine).

I remembered what you said you did with you makeup pallette when you went grey, so I pulled out a never used Lancome tube of L'Absolue Rouge lippie in Kiss Me Ruby.

Boy, did I ever wake up! It doesnt makeme look like my lips are coming in the room 2 feet in front of me, but has brought some color to my cheeks and you can 'see' my eyes more.

Could it be that simple? What else should I change? My eyebrows are still the same color as my eyes are also. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Taupe, anyone?

[ Edited ]

@Maestra1 wrote:

@Shanus  Since my hairline has gone whitish blonde (smh) I've been wondering why I look so washed out and blah (no, I'm feeling fine).

I remembered what you said you did with you makeup pallette when you went grey, so I pulled out a never used Lancome tube of L'Absolue Rouge lippie in Kiss Me Ruby.

Boy, did I ever wake up! It doesnt makeme look like my lips are coming in the room 2 feet in front of me, but has brought some color to my cheeks and you can 'see' my eyes more.

Could it be that simple? What else should I change? My eyebrows are still the same color as my eyes are also. 

@Maestra1   So glad you remembered my tricks to brighten up cheeks/lips and both can be done w/ lipstick. If you're not lining your eyes for definition, that helps immensely. Either tightline between lashes w/ dark brown before mascara or use eye shadow to line the top lid close to the lashes. Shadow is a much softer look than pencil. I don't know about you, but without my glasses on, drawing a fine line w/ pencil is near impossible. Always groom and define brows...not darker, just defined. That's it...no tricks left undone.

Trusted Contributor

@Maestra1 @Shanus  I'm happy for you  @Maestra1, feeling "brighter" is such a mood lifter, too.  I've been noticing, especially in pictures, the same washed out, blah, look. I wear nude pink lipstick and barely-there blush, hoping not to draw too much attention to myself. I know I could never wear bright lips, I'm much too self-conscious. I'm wondering if you and @Shanus would have any suggestions for something between nude pink and ruby? I'd love to know!

Trusted Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@Quinny  Do you like taupes that lean towards browns or grays? 

Lancôme is having their Friends & Family sale right now (25% off instead of usual 20%) free shipping with no minimum purchase.

They have a palette called Taupe Craze. Some shimmers with some mattes. 

Urban Decay 24/7 eye pencil in Mushroom is a metallic taupe pewter shimmer.

And makes a single eyeshadow in that color. Their pencils are creamy & match very well to their powder eyeshadows.

76C6A7BF-5B2A-49DE-A3D1-3EF9B234BBCF.jpeg

@JustJazzmom thank you for letting me in on the sale information and the particular shades of eyeshadows, they're so pretty. I ordered the Urban Decay Mushroom eye pencil to start...that's a big step for me.