Respected Contributor

Does anyone find it hard to believe her story? Not about her skin issues, but the fact that this thousand year old book was sold. Being strict traditionalists, I really find it hard to believe that someone of Japanese background would do that.

Super Contributor
It is just another silly story. Every beauty line has one .......
Honored Contributor

I was just thinking of this when I was watching the AM beauty show with Leah and the Tatcha lady was on. It seems so odd that they'd sell a book like that randomly to someone. Wouldn't they want to keep it as part of the Geisha tradition? I could see them allowing her to make a copy of it but to sell the actual book to her, especially since she isn't a Geisha, seems kind of unbelievable but who knows, stranger things have happened! For example, I am always shocked and saddened when I see people on those shows like Pawn Stars selling some family heirloom, like a grandfather's war medal, just for a few bucks. I guess money is more important to many than any tradition or heirloom.

Respected Contributor

I did a term paper on The Geisha when I was in high school and was fascinated by their way of life. I just don't believe that they would allow such a thing. I wonder how much she paid for it?

I've wondered the same thing as you HD, about selling family heirlooms ... I could never live with myself if I sold something that meant so much to a family member. Guess that's what makes the world go 'round.

{#emotions_dlg.blush}

Honored Contributor

I can't say one way or the other, if the story is true or not. It seems all the female skincare vendors have some kind of story that's supposed to set their products apart from the rest. On one hand, yes, it does seem odd that a historical treasure would just be sold to a random party. But on the other hand, I have read about parts of "oriental" skincare that go way back, namely pearl powder. So, who knows?

Super Contributor

I always believe everybody -- maybe because it would never, ever occur to me to try to pull off a big scam like that.

Maybe it was in a collector's possession and it was time to sell and collect some more. People sell art all the time, people DO sell family heirlooms all the time (I've gotten plenty at auction).

They have a reproduction of the book (don't know if they showed it tonight). They (Q) didn't want to be responsible if there was damage to the real thing.

She went into hock to come up with the money -- including selling her engagement ring. If it's true, I'm sure it didn't come cheap.

And I also think I heard there are a few of them -- I initially got the impression that this was the ONLY one in existence, but apparently not.

Honored Contributor
On 7/27/2014 MarenSeattle said:

I always believe everybody -- maybe because it would never, ever occur to me to try to pull off a big scam like that.

Maybe it was in a collector's possession and it was time to sell and collect some more. People sell art all the time, people DO sell family heirlooms all the time (I've gotten plenty at auction).

They have a reproduction of the book (don't know if they showed it tonight). They (Q) didn't want to be responsible if there was damage to the real thing.

She went into hock to come up with the money -- including selling her engagement ring. If it's true, I'm sure it didn't come cheap.

And I also think I heard there are a few of them -- I initially got the impression that this was the ONLY one in existence, but apparently not.

All good points, MS.

Honored Contributor

Actually they have said it is the only one in existence on previous shows. Are they now saying it is one of several or something like that? They also said she bought it from the Geishas on previous ones, that the one Geisha showed her the book.

Who knows.

Super Contributor
On 7/27/2014 HappyDaze said:

Actually they have said it is the only one in existence on previous shows. Are they now saying it is one of several or something like that? They also said she bought it from the Geishas on previous ones, that the one Geisha showed her the book.

Who knows.

I'm pretty sure I heard there were a few around, otherwise don't know why that would be in my head. (That's why I said I THINK I heard...) I'll listen next time and see if they say the only one, one of a very few, or nothing.

Honored Contributor

I lived in Japan for 3 years and taught school there. I visited Kyoto, the cultural center of Japan, a few times.

First, I don't think the founder of Tatcha is Japanese. I think she's Chinese.

Kyoto is the home of Geisha. The only one I talked to in a hotel restroom used Estee Lauder makeup when she wasn't in traditional Geisha costume. Fresh came out with a "Geisha" line some years ago. I bought everything. I really liked the rice powder face wash.

Although her story may be true, I tend to believe it's another "theme" of the cosmetics/skin care lines. If someone in Japan sold this book to an American, you can believe they received a lot of money for it! Smile