Super Contributor
On 7/30/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

MandySays - what's the Orchid Gel supposed to do?

I need help with oil control..it's supposed to be a good mattefying primer-type deal? If I don't love it I will send back, but it was priced so reasonably and I've heard good things about Skinn cosmetics.

Can you tell me what Vitamin C serum you use (in case I don't love the Tatcha serum I ordered).

Honored Contributor
On 7/30/2014 MandySays said:

MandySays - what's the Orchid Gel supposed to do?

I need help with oil control..it's supposed to be a good mattefying primer-type deal? If I don't love it I will send back, but it was priced so reasonably and I've heard good things about Skinn cosmetics.

Can you tell me what Vitamin C serum you use (in case I don't love the Tatcha serum I ordered).

I've been using Mad Hippie Vitamin C Serum as part of my morning routine since last year and have been very happy with it. I can usually find it for around $25-$28 for a 1 oz. bottle (Vitacost, Amazon). I only use about 1/3 of a dropper at a time and apply it while my face is still damp from my toner. I recently happened upon a Vitamin C serum on Amazon by Azure Naturals and I have to admit, I'm tempted to try it. It has the same stable form of Vitamin C (sodium ascorbyl phosphate) as Mad Hippie's, in a 20% strength, along with a bunch of other good things, but it's less expensive and with a 100% money back guarantee. It's available on Amazon Prime in either a 1 oz. bottle ($19.95) or a 2 oz. bottle ($35.95)

Just an FYI about Tatcha's serum, for you and anyone else that's interested...

I'm not an expert by any means, but I had a look at the ingredient list for Tatcha's Luminous Deep Hydration Firming Serum, and "alcohol" is pretty high up on the list, coming in as the 5th ingredient. I've read that when "alcohol" is listed, that means rubbing alcohol (which can be drying) as opposed to other cosmetic alcohols like cetyl, stearyl, cetearyl, etc. The 4th ingredient, Chondrus Crispus Extract, doesn't sound very glamorous or an ancient traditional secret either. It's a thickener. If you've read the ingredient "carrageen" on your ice cream carton, CCE is where carrageen comes from. Propanediol is another name for propylene glycol, a humectant that also aids in penetration and prevents freezing, among other things, but doesn't sound like it's very good for you once you start reading about it. I realize the Tatcha serum surely gets a lot of positive reviews, but $90+ seems like an awful lot of money to pay for 1 ounce of something that's predominantly water, glycerin, a questionable ingredient, a thickener and alcohol. JMHO

Super Contributor
On 7/29/2014 MandySays said:

Will do, glmama! Good to know about the cleansing oil. I got a dupe off Amazon, but haven't used yet.

So I totally pulled the trigger and ordered a Foreo Luna Mini via HSN cos free shipping and since someone gave me a 20% coupon code (Save 20% Off $50+ Beauty Order - 145117, Ends 7/31/2014.) so it was $101.41 total divided into 3 flex pays. Will report back on THAT, too eventually Smiley Happy

Thank you soooo much for the code!

I wanted this for travel and to use daily after I put on my skincare. It was sold out last week,now it's back in stock...yippy!!!!!

Super Contributor

I realize the Tatcha serum surely gets a lot of positive reviews, but $90+ seems like an awful lot of money to pay for 1 ounce of something that's predominantly water, glycerin, a questionable ingredient, a thickener and alcohol. JMHO

Thank you for this JLF..you got me to cancel my order (glad it wasn't too late). I am totally thinking of looking into the Vitamin C serums..but also curious about some I have seen rave reviews about from ISOMERS and Skinn. Have you tried either of those?

Honored Contributor
On 7/30/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said: <p class="quote_author">I realize the Tatcha serum surely gets a lot of positive reviews, but $90+ seems like an awful lot of money to pay for 1 ounce of something that's predominantly water, glycerin, a questionable ingredient, a thickener and alcohol. JMHO

Thank you for this JLF..you got me to cancel my order (glad it wasn't too late). I am totally thinking of looking into the Vitamin C serums..but also curious about some I have seen rave reviews about from ISOMERS and Skinn. Have you tried either of those?

No, I haven't. I tried NCN's once, but didn't like it. Once I used it up I tried Mad Hippie's and stayed with it. NCN's has had a formula change since I used it. There are many people here who use it, but also many who like Mad Hippie, too. As with many things, especially with skincare, haircare, and makeup, everyone's different so you might have to try a few things before you land on the one you really like. If you would like me to, I have an empty MH bottle w/dropper, and can send you some MH Vitamin C Serum to try. Leave me an email address where I can contact you for shipping info.

Super Contributor
On 7/30/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said: <p class="quote_author">I realize the Tatcha serum surely gets a lot of positive reviews, but $90+ seems like an awful lot of money to pay for 1 ounce of something that's predominantly water, glycerin, a questionable ingredient, a thickener and alcohol. JMHO

No, I haven't. I tried NCN's once, but didn't like it. Once I used it up I tried Mad Hippie's and stayed with it. NCN's has had a formula change since I used it. There are many people here who use it, but also many who like Mad Hippie, too. As with many things, especially with skincare, haircare, and makeup, everyone's different so you might have to try a few things before you land on the one you really like. If you would like me to, I have an empty MH bottle w/dropper, and can send you some MH Vitamin C Serum to try. Leave me an email address where I can contact you for shipping info.

That would be awesome! Thank you!!

Honored Contributor

That would be awesome. I know addresses tend to get poofed, but here ya go:

(trying to get this to stay long enough for you to see it hah)

OK, I wrote it down and will be emailing you shortly. You can go back and edit it out now.

Honored Contributor

Uh-oh...the one I wrote is getting a error message. Could you try it again, just as it's supposed to be? Thanks.

Super Contributor

Honored Contributor

got it!