Super Contributor

Re: Tatcha Powder / Oil Cleanser is on Easy Pay - Talk me into it or talk me out of it ;}

Hi sandgirl! The Tatcha cleansing oil & rice powder set was on my wish list for a while & everytime it was presented Lisa's raves drew me in. One day I ordered & have to say I was unfortunately completely underwhelmed Smiley Sad I even started a thread about it not removing makeup & others also had the same issue. I expected it at least to remove all of my makeup ( and I wasn't using waterproof) but would always have to use eye makeup remover and an alcohol free toner with it. I also never saw any results from it. It did nothing positive that I noticed for my skin. Way too expensive in my opinion to not even remove makeup--especially since that is one of the things they kept claiming in presentations! And to be honest, it sits in my cabinet and I've gone back to my previous cleansing routine...which I wasn't unhappy with...just always looking for the next best thing-haha Smiley Happy Hope that helps!
Super Contributor

Re: Tatcha Powder / Oil Cleanser is on Easy Pay - Talk me into it or talk me out of it ;}

I will add that the cleanser I've used for almost 20yrs and always come back to is Peter Thomas Roth Anti-Aging Cleansing Gel. And I pair it with just a drugstore Neutrogena alcohol free toner. If you are looking for an awesome exfoliant I highly suggest Peter Thomas Roth FirmX Peeling Gel. LOVE!!!
Honored Contributor

I recommend Dr. Young Camellia Cleansing Oil. It's far less expensive than Tatcha's and works beautifully (I make sure I'm never out of it). Fleur de Lis Rice and Papaya Enzyme Powder is also a far less expensive dupe that is gentle and talc free (talc can be irritating for some people). The only thing I will stress is to get the vanilla scented one. The other scents and the unscented one are not pleasant. Both of these items are available on Amazon.

Valued Contributor

I love the oil. I'm still on my first bottle, however, and haven't had to repurchase. It isn't cheap and I sorta bought it on a whim. But I would buy it again.

Super Contributor

On 9/5/2014 A Walker said:

Hi Sandgirl! I read your post and feel I have some experience I can add to your decision-making process Smiley Happy I purchased the Tatcha oil and rice powder as a set (you can check for prices as shoppergrl suggested) and really do like it. I made the ultimate mistake, however, of purchasing the Le Mieux (A258691) Skin Perfecter at the same time and yep... you guessed it.... used them both right outta the gate! That was a huge fail on my part because while I absolutely LOVED how my skin looked... well I had no idea if both produced the effect or one. So... I backed off using both together to really see which one was a better fit for my skin.

Results for Tatcha: The Tatcha cleanses off all makeup very well. Pleasant, mild scent, does a good job, and it rinses off completely with water. Using my hands with the rice powder after the oil does a nice job of exfoliating the surface dead skin layer, leaving my face nice and smooth. The rice powder seems to leave my skin with a matte finish. Since listening to Lisa and how she uses the rice powder on her Clarisonic... I've tried that and it works a bit better than just using my hands. It is a nice duo. BUT... I also like Purity with the Clarisonic which for me, does an equal job to the Tatcha duo.

Results for Le Mieux: When I simply used the Tatcha duo, I wasn't seeing the great results I had seen when I used the Tatcha duo and followed it up with the Le Mieux. So, I went back to my original method of Purity with the Clarisonic, then used the Le Mieux. I have to say... to my surprise... the Le Mieux was what was making my skin go to that extra stage of clean and clear! I was a bit annoyed after reading comments that the battery life in it only lasts through 300 uses, thinking it was a more permanent solution, but ultimately decided that would take me past a year using it three or four times per week and I loved the results so I kept it. There are other brands of "ultrasonic skin scrubbers/spatulas" online, so a search for them would yield comparisons. I found that this device cleans pores more deeply than the Clarisonic brush or any cleanser I've yet to use. It's hard to describe, but after using it my skin IS cleaner... the pores around the nose and on the cheeks ARE clearer. Little breakouts clear out and disappear. I liken it to my ultrasonic toothbrush... it just cleans more thoroughly. An overall clarity is achieved after I use it, use my serum for the night, and wake up the next day. My face is THE smoothest as well. It does what it says: it allows my products to be more beneficial to my skin because it clears out any gunk so they can penetrate deeper.

So... after my initial mix-up of using Tatcha and Le Mieux... I've come to the conclusion it was the Le Mieux that did the BEST job of clearing out my pores and making my skin look its best. I do, however, still use the Tatcha duo and Purity and just switch them up according to my mood because I don't use the Le Mieux daily and you still have to cleanse anyway even before the Le Mieux is used. But for the best result from a cleaning and clarifying point of view, Le Mieux wins for my skin... better than any AHA or BHA product I've ever used (although I haven't used the BHA9).

I hope this helps but I've probably confused you even more! I guess in the end, it takes trial and error for your skin because that's how it always seems to go. Good luck deciding!

ETA: I just saw your post above re night/day cleansing... I only use the Le Mieux at night, same with Tatcha or Purity along with Clarisonic. So I use the Clarisonic nights I don't use Le Mieux. Morning I don't use any sonic device when cleansing.

Wow, GREAT review, A Walker! And now excuse me while I run to check out the Le Mieux which I apparently can not live without. :-)

Super Contributor

I'm in the Tatcha camp, and disagree that it doesn't remove makeup. I wear a heavy-duty sunscreen topped with another heavy duty sunscreen makeup, and it all comes off. I apply enough and just luxuriate in taking my time massaging it everywhere. I do have to extra mush it around my eyes and will sometimes use a an eye makeup remover first if I'm using bulletproof mascara and liner.

After I've massaged in the oil, I just wet my face a little -- I don't splash, just get it all wet and I can feel it beginning to emulsify. Then I use the rice powder (be sure you use enough water with the rice powder to really lather it up), then go over my face with that and my Foreo Luna. Then I rinse like a fool.

I use Thayer's non-alcohol aloe toner too, if I feel I need it.

I only use the Tatcha at night when I have lots of heavy duty stuff to remove. In the morning I'll use whatever cleanser my skin feels like it needs.

It's costly, but lasts a good long time. I'm a devotee. I keep toying with the idea of trying the products JLF recommends, but I'm just so darn happy with the Tatcha I really don't even want to try anything else.

Check out the Foreo Luna -- it's silicone and easily cleaned so doesn't harbor bacteria like a Clarisonic (or any brush) can. That MIGHT be why you experienced the breakouts.

Respected Contributor

I purchased it - works pretty good but hardly worth the extra $ for the performance, IMO.

Respected Contributor

I am tempted by Tatcha but I think there are great products out there with not such a heavy price. I use DHC's Oil Cleanser and they tell me it's their BEST seller. You use it before you use a regular cleanser like their mild soap or cleansing grains or foam cleanser. They call it "double cleansing" and it makes a monstrous difference especially if you like to wear makeup. I use it religiously. It isn't camellia oil based, it is olive oil based, but both oils have the vitamin e and other properties that make for good skin care.

Respected Contributor

On 9/6/2014 Campion said:

I am tempted by Tatcha but I think there are great products out there with not such a heavy price. I use DHC's Oil Cleanser and they tell me it's their BEST seller. You use it before you use a regular cleanser like their mild soap or cleansing grains or foam cleanser. They call it "double cleansing" and it makes a monstrous difference especially if you like to wear makeup. I use it religiously. It isn't camellia oil based, it is olive oil based, but both oils have the vitamin e and other properties that make for good skin care.

I am going to check this one out since I have seen it around for many years but never tried it.

Respected Contributor

I was going to order their discovery kit today since it was pay day - Just my luck they are sold out..... Oh well!