Frequent Contributor

Re: Tatcha Luminous Deep Hydration Firming Serum

Almost bought it but then changed my mind. Reading all these comments from you ladies not sure although always looking for the next "greatest" product.

I found the ingredient list under the auto delivery item and can't say I'm thrilled by it. Personally I don't care for alcohol in my skincare and fragrance is high up on the list of ingredients. Would love to hear what you all think.

Luminous Deep Hydration Firming Serum

Water, Glycerin, Propanediol, Chondrus Crispus Extract, Alcohol, Methyl Gluceth-20,
Polyglyceryl-10, Eicosanedioate/Tetradecanedioate, Carrageenan (Algae Extract),
Fragrance (All Natural), Inositol (Rice Extract), Polyglyceryl-10 Myristate, Titanium
Dioxide, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sericin (Silk Extract), Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate
(Licorice Extract), Silica, Hydrogenated Lecithin (Soy Origin), Squalane (Olive
Origin), Sodium Dilauramidoglutamide Lysine, Camellia Sinensis Leaf (Green Tea)
Extract, Royal Jelly Extract, Algae Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower
Extract, 23K Gold, Sodium Bicarbonate, Xanthan Gum Crosspolymer,
Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Butylene Glycol, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone
Crosspolymer, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite

Honored Contributor

On 3/8/2014 MarthainMD said:

Almost bought it but then changed my mind. Reading all these comments from you ladies not sure although always looking for the next "greatest" product.

I found the ingredient list under the auto delivery item and can't say I'm thrilled by it. Personally I don't care for alcohol in my skincare and fragrance is high up on the list of ingredients. Would love to hear what you all think.

Luminous Deep Hydration Firming Serum

Water, Glycerin, Propanediol, Chondrus Crispus Extract, Alcohol, Methyl Gluceth-20,
Polyglyceryl-10, Eicosanedioate/Tetradecanedioate, Carrageenan (Algae Extract),
Fragrance (All Natural), Inositol (Rice Extract), Polyglyceryl-10 Myristate, Titanium
Dioxide, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sericin (Silk Extract), Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate
(Licorice Extract), Silica, Hydrogenated Lecithin (Soy Origin), Squalane (Olive
Origin), Sodium Dilauramidoglutamide Lysine, Camellia Sinensis Leaf (Green Tea)
Extract, Royal Jelly Extract, Algae Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower
Extract, 23K Gold, Sodium Bicarbonate, Xanthan Gum Crosspolymer,
Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Butylene Glycol, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone
Crosspolymer, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite

Yes, straight alcohol as listed here is drying and bad for the skin and it is listed as the 5th ingredient. The first three ingredients make up the majority of the product so in this case it is mainly water, glycerin and Propendiol. Fragrance is also fairly high on the list. And interesting that it contains 23k gold!?

Contributor

It is good to see more diversity among the vendors/owners at QVC. They seem to be running behind HSN on that score. Given the profits at QVC, they can afford to share the love!
Contributor

I tried the cleanser duo and while I found that it does seem to work, my skin felt stripped of any moisture. The oil does melt off the makeup and the powder seems to polish the skin, my skin felt very dry afterwards.
Honored Contributor

On 3/8/2014 Claire W said: I tried the cleanser duo and while I found that it does seem to work, my skin felt stripped of any moisture. The oil does melt off the makeup and the powder seems to polish the skin, my skin felt very dry afterwards.

The oil cleanser makes my skin feel very dry afterwards as well, which is odd for an oil cleanser!

Super Contributor

On 3/7/2014 MargieRJ said:
On 3/7/2014 BellaCarro said:
On 3/7/2014 suzycue said:

What was the crying about a the end of the presentation??

IDK, didn't see it but now I'm very curious, too.

It may have been because the product was selling out. Tears of joy?

maybe she finally got her student loan paid off?

Trusted Contributor

Just to add a couple more sea algae options, SkinActives ready made skin creams are composed with sea algae although I don't know where their's comes from and Ocea's products are made with sea algea from the Patagonia area which is supposed to be pretty pristine according to their website. I've used both brands and like them a lot.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Super Contributor

On 3/8/2014 suzyQ3 said:

Slightly O/T: Scientists have stated that there is no danger in California from the nuclear disaster. Blogs and online stuff have fueled misinformation and hysteria. From the Los Angeles Times (1/2014):

"Radiation detected off the U.S. West Coast from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant in Japan has declined since the 2011 tsunami disaster and never approached levels that could pose a risk to human health, seafood or wildlife, scientists say.

Experts have been trying to dispel worries stemming from a burst of online videos and blog posts in recent months that contend radiation from Fukushima is contaminating beaches and seafood and harming sea creatures across the Pacific.

Those assertions are false and the concerns largely unfounded, scientists and government officials said last week, because Fukushima radionuclides in ocean water and marine life are at trace levels and declining — so low that they are trivial compared with what already exists in nature.

"There is no public health risk at California beaches due to radioactivity related to events at Fukushima," the California Department of Public Health said in a statement.

Concentrations of radioactive cesium from the nuclear plant that were detected in the tissue of bluefin tuna, which migrate from waters near Japan across the Pacific to the coast of California and Mexico, were very low to begin with and have been falling since 2011, said Nicholas Fisher, a professor of marine science at Stony Brook University.

"The dose is measurable but it's extremely low," said Fisher, an expert on marine radioactivity.

Even at its worst in the months after the disaster, the dose of radioactivity that Fisher's lab found in tuna caught off California was far lower than what people are exposed to from medical X-rays or eating bananas or other potassium-rich foods, which contain naturally occurring radioactive isotopes.

The latest concerns are mostly driven by online videos, blogs and social media — including a post titled "28 Signs That the West Coast Is Being Absolutely Fried With Nuclear Radiation From Fukushima." A video posted on YouTube last month shows an unidentified man with a Geiger counter detecting elevated radiation levels on a beach in Half Moon Bay, south of San Francisco, and has received more than 650,000 views.

The California Department of Public Health sent inspectors to the beach shown in the video, and their tests found similarly elevated radiation levels. But their analysis indicates they are naturally occurring — probably from minerals in the sand — and not associated with Fukushima.

Kim Martini, an oceanographer at the University of Washington, noticed a surge in outrageous worries about radiation in Seattle last fall, including people who were afraid to go to the beach and stopped eating seafood.

"Every single environmental issue was being blamed on Fukushima," she said. "And I thought there's no way that can be true."

Since then she and other scientists have been posting information on the blog Deep Sea News, with posts including "Is the sea floor littered with dead animals due to radiation? No."

A magnitude 9.0 earthquake off Japan on March 11, 2011, triggered a series of tsunamis that crippled the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, releasing radiation into the ocean and atmosphere. Studies show that leaks from the facility continue to send radionuclides into the sea. But they dilute quickly in ocean water, scientists say."

That's what they've always said about Hanford in Washington State. Safe, contained, not enough to pose a threat to health. But it did.

Tepco was less than forthcoming about the amount of radiation spilled, and its efforts to contain it.

I'm sure the tests cited in this piece are accurate, but I think the real risk lies somewhere between "we can handle it" and "we're all gonna die!"

Radiation exposure is cumulative. You can dose someone with "acceptable levels" over and over and eventually all those acceptable levels are lethal.

I don't think we should panic, but I don't think we should assume it's all safe.

And it's not just the ocean -- it's the air, the ground -- it's an ecosystem.

That being said, I'd probably go ahead and get this product if it was calling to me (and it just might be)Smile

Honored Contributor

On 3/7/2014 gigy said:

I think she began crying because she was emotional and happy about it being sold out.

I think so too. I remember Lisa saying now 2000 are gone and she looked shocked. I imagine selling out makes for a good payday.

Frequent Contributor

Well, I emailed TATCHA over the weekend asking where their algae is harvested and here is their reply:

Thank you so much for reaching out, and your question about radiation. Victoria, our founder, was pregnant when formulating the line and it is our utmost priority to ensure that every ingredient in our line is safe for use.

Our Okinawan red algae is harvested from a lagoon in Okinawa, a small collection of islands at the southernmost tip of Japan. The nuclear incident took place in Fukushima, nearly 1,500 miles northeast - approximately the distance between New York City and western Kansas. Further, the amount of radiation that continues to be written about in the headlines is less than the radioactive isotopes in a banana, and carried by currents northeast, away from Okinawa.

Still, to ensure the safety of our products, we run standard testing protocol, including testing for radiation before they leave Japan. Once they arrive here, the products have to clear the Food and Drug Administration, the U.S. authority tasked with ensuring the safety of all imports. With all this testing, we have never encountered an issue with radiation.

Thank you again for reaching out with your concern, and if you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Please do know that your happiness is our highest priority, and we are happy to help in any way possible.

Sorry about the tiny print, I pasted this from their email and couldn't change the font.