Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tatcha Luminous Deep Hydration Firming Serum

On 3/8/2014 kcc said:
On 3/8/2014 Harpa said:

Those who got this will probably be very happy with the way that it feels on the skin. (I had a sample packet, but never used it on my face because I don't need/want brightening.) But I essentially get the same effect with other things.

The algae is not the principal ingredient, in any case, and the demo of it spreading out in water has nothing to do with nothing! Smiley Happy Algae is a known firming ingredient, though. I've just never incorporated that particular ingredient in my skincare.

Sorry Bella Carro for the interruption question. Harpa: Can you share w/me the order of application for the hyaluronic acid serum, rosehip seed oil, or aloe vera gel etc? TIA

Hi, kcc! Since those are used as moisturizer, I just mix together in the palm of my hand. (I don't mix treatment ingredients, though; those should be used all by themselves.)

Are you referencing the "magic 3" from the other thread? If you are using a vitamin C serum, that should go on first. Then you could mix HA serum with an oil, as well as with aloe (which is really what I do - in addition to the RHSO, I use 2 other oils, too, in order to get the full spectrum of skin nutrients, but I could easily leave them out.) And then I massage in until all is dissipated. That application is part of the fountain of youth for me. It gives me a few moments for facial massage. (If you've ever had one of those, you'd see the magic right before your eyes.) It also eliminates the need for any other artificial gadget (LightStim, or whatever) that would give the same effect. Plus it allows for product penetration.

(I guess I get carried away, but these are some of the pieces to the puzzle.)

I hope it all works well for you! It really has for me, and I have no need to go back to expensive serums and things. (Sorry, Tatcha, because some of the ingredients you use are really nice. I like the idea of the rice and the silk, also the green tea.)

Frequent Contributor

Thank you so very much Harpa. Yes was referring to other post. I appreciate all of your information. Also thank you BellaCarro for letting me ask Harpa because I am trying to pare down products to core ingredients that give results! I ordered the HA & RHSO :-)

Honored Contributor

I suppose anything is possible, but I sort of doubt the product could be sold if there was evidence it contained radioactive material...

Yes, she appeared to be crying joyfully because the serum sold out... She invested a lot in her product and seems very sweet.

I was tempted by it, but opted out. It was pricey and I'll see if it is well reviewed and if it appears to be a flash in the pan before ordering. For the cost, I'm not sure what this serum supposedly imparts is going to make all that much difference in my appearance.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I now wonder about Algenist, I have been using this since it first came to qvc. It is from the ocean also and from algae from the pacific. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Honored Contributor

I ordered it as I absolutely love the Tatcha products that I have tried!!!!! I will be sure to post a review for you guys!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Slightly O/T: Scientists have stated that there is no danger in California from the nuclear disaster. Blogs and online stuff have fueled misinformation and hysteria. From the Los Angeles Times (1/2014):

"Radiation detected off the U.S. West Coast from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant in Japan has declined since the 2011 tsunami disaster and never approached levels that could pose a risk to human health, seafood or wildlife, scientists say.

Experts have been trying to dispel worries stemming from a burst of online videos and blog posts in recent months that contend radiation from Fukushima is contaminating beaches and seafood and harming sea creatures across the Pacific.

Those assertions are false and the concerns largely unfounded, scientists and government officials said last week, because Fukushima radionuclides in ocean water and marine life are at trace levels and declining — so low that they are trivial compared with what already exists in nature.

"There is no public health risk at California beaches due to radioactivity related to events at Fukushima," the California Department of Public Health said in a statement.

Concentrations of radioactive cesium from the nuclear plant that were detected in the tissue of bluefin tuna, which migrate from waters near Japan across the Pacific to the coast of California and Mexico, were very low to begin with and have been falling since 2011, said Nicholas Fisher, a professor of marine science at Stony Brook University.

"The dose is measurable but it's extremely low," said Fisher, an expert on marine radioactivity.

Even at its worst in the months after the disaster, the dose of radioactivity that Fisher's lab found in tuna caught off California was far lower than what people are exposed to from medical X-rays or eating bananas or other potassium-rich foods, which contain naturally occurring radioactive isotopes.

The latest concerns are mostly driven by online videos, blogs and social media — including a post titled "28 Signs That the West Coast Is Being Absolutely Fried With Nuclear Radiation From Fukushima." A video posted on YouTube last month shows an unidentified man with a Geiger counter detecting elevated radiation levels on a beach in Half Moon Bay, south of San Francisco, and has received more than 650,000 views.

The California Department of Public Health sent inspectors to the beach shown in the video, and their tests found similarly elevated radiation levels. But their analysis indicates they are naturally occurring — probably from minerals in the sand — and not associated with Fukushima.

Kim Martini, an oceanographer at the University of Washington, noticed a surge in outrageous worries about radiation in Seattle last fall, including people who were afraid to go to the beach and stopped eating seafood.

"Every single environmental issue was being blamed on Fukushima," she said. "And I thought there's no way that can be true."

Since then she and other scientists have been posting information on the blog Deep Sea News, with posts including "Is the sea floor littered with dead animals due to radiation? No."

A magnitude 9.0 earthquake off Japan on March 11, 2011, triggered a series of tsunamis that crippled the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, releasing radiation into the ocean and atmosphere. Studies show that leaks from the facility continue to send radionuclides into the sea. But they dilute quickly in ocean water, scientists say."

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

That radiation is going to hang on for thousands of years, just like the radiation from Chernobyl and Three Mile Island. We are bombarded every day, the sun's radiation as well as these, space dust & then some. That's why it is imperative to shield your body with antioxidants - both your skin and your innards. Apparently, the scientists and experts do not agree on this, either.

As far as putting that strain of algae on my skin....it probably has such miniscule effect that it wouldn't concern me.

Honored Contributor

On 3/8/2014 Harpa said:

That radiation is going to hang on for thousands of years, just like the radiation from Chernobyl and Three Mile Island. We are bombarded every day, the sun's radiation as well as these, space dust & then some. That's why it is imperative to shield your body with antioxidants - both your skin and your innards. Apparently, the scientists and experts do not agree on this, either.

As far as putting that strain of algae on my skin....it probably has such miniscule effect that it wouldn't concern me.

what? I have never seen a scientist say that antioxidants aren't important for your skin and internally? Or did I misunderstand what you were referring to when you stated that? The only thing I've seen discussed is which antioixidants are the most effective and in what form but never have I seen any legitimate expert say they are NOT important.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/8/2014 HappyDaze said:
On 3/8/2014 Harpa said:

what? I have never seen a scientist say that antioxidants aren't important for your skin and internally? Or did I misunderstand what you were referring to when you stated that? The only thing I've seen discussed is which antioixidants are the most effective and in what form but never have I seen any legitimate expert say they are NOT important.

HappyDaze! Surely you know me better than that! Smiley Happy

I said shield your body with not from!!!!

Honored Contributor

On 3/8/2014 Harpa said:
On 3/8/2014 HappyDaze said:
On 3/8/2014 Harpa said:

HappyDaze! Surely you know me better than that! Smiley Happy

I said shield your body with not from!!!!

{#emotions_dlg.laugh} I know that is why I was sure I misunderstood something because I DO know you better than that and it didn't sound like something you would say. Smile